JimStim 1.5 power issue when connected to MS2

Building and using the Stimulator to test your Megasquirt

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ian12
MS/Extra Newbie

JimStim 1.5 power issue when connected to MS2

Post by ian12 »

I put both together the other night, and I tested the JimStim. All LEDs light up and seems to function fine. I went to connect to MS2 to burn code, and JimStim won't power up. If I disconnect them, JimStim powers up fine and test functions work. I don't know if I am missing something on how to set it up, or if my DB37 might have bad solders on it causing it to kill power.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: JimStim 1.5 power issue when connected to MS2

Post by racingmini_mtl »

That sounds like you have a short on your MS. You'll need to check that first.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
ian12
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ian12 »

Exactly what I didn't want to hear. Are there any tests I can do with the JimStim to make sure power is going through the DB37 to MS? I had a few bad solders on the DB37 and thought I fixed them. Other then that, I don't know if certain circuits I left off matter. I installed everything except for Y1, R43, R57 (didn't even have one in my kit), C12, C30, and Q16. From there, I have my ignition set up already in place which is TSEL to OPTOOUT, XG1 to TACHSELECT, lead from -ve D14 to 5v proto (1k resistor between) and a lead prior to resistor to IGN, and lead from -ve D16 to 5v proto (1k resistor between) and lead prior to resistor to SPR4.

Thought I would add that if it helps. I honestly don't know where to start for a short. I was careful with the MS2 on assembly, so I don't know where the short would happen.
ian12
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ian12 »

Got it. One of the first things I soldered to the MS2 was at fault. MOV1 had barely any solder on one joint I couldn't see till I took a light to it and closely examined the connection. So you were right. Don't know how I missed that. Thanks, hopefully can upload code and get everything else working fine now.