2nd trigger not working

Building and using the Stimulator to test your Megasquirt

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

dornon13
MS/Extra Newbie

2nd trigger not working

Post by dornon13 »

I am stumped. I have a MS3 box with MS3X and a JimStim V1.5. I have it all hooked up for testing the ecu and I have been able to get it to work using the 36-1 wheel mode on the JimStim Dipswitches and setting Tunerstudio to;

Spark mode -Toothed wheel
Ignition input capture - Rising edge
Spark Output - going high (inverted)
# of coils - coil on plug
Spark hardware - MS3X Spark
Cam input - MS3X Cam in
Trigger wheel arrangement - Dual wheel with missing tooth
Trigger wheel teeth - 36
Missing teeth - 1
Tooth 1 angle - 80
Main wheel speed - Crank wheel
Second trigger active on - rising edge

Everything seems to work at first glance, however I notice that the "pulse width 1" gauge is ~1.357 after cranking and just stays there, doesnt change when i change rpm. So further investigation I look into the composite logger and it shows the 36-1 wheel just fine but the cam signal is no where to be found, not even a flat line. Just the turqoise signal for the 36-1 and the flat red line for the sync.

I have the 2nd trigger pin wired to pin 32 on the MS3X DB37 connector.

The pulse width gauge is the only one that seems to not be operating and I just cant figure out why the 2nd trigger isnt showing up on the logger when everything seems to work and be in sync. Nothing changes if i simply leave the 2nd trigger disconnected. Any Ideas?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 2nd trigger not working

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Have you adjusted the pots as per the instructions for a Hall or optical sensor: http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/ignition.html#ms3xcam ?

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
dornon13
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dornon13 »

No I have it set for vr on both triggers. I guess the JS uses a hall signal? I will try that next.
dornon13
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dornon13 »

That did the trick for the 2nd trigger. Now the pulse width is the only issue. at 0 rpm it is zero as expected. Then during cranking it goes to almost 21msec. Then after cranking it goes to 1.3XX only varying 0.050 or so. Fuel load stays at 0.5%
dornon13
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dornon13 »

After a little thought, I am guessing this is because I am using the MS3X fuel outputs and not the batch outputs on the stim? I have hooked the injector outputs to the LEDs which seem to indicate that they are being triggered. but when I connect the Spark Outputs I just get a solid light. the more i dig the more I find confusing hah
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The spark outputs can have a duty cycle very close to 0% or close to 100% depending on the polarity in your settings. If it appears to be solidly on, it may be because the time it's off is too short to see. Try reversing the output polarity to see if that changes anything.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
dornon13
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dornon13 »

Thanks alot Jean!