How do I simulate an LS1 wheel with the Jimstim

Building and using the Stimulator to test your Megasquirt

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

nismoautoxr
Super MS/Extra'er

How do I simulate an LS1 wheel with the Jimstim

Post by nismoautoxr »

Maybe I didnt search enough...dunno. Got the MS3 /MS3X pretty much all assembled with the exception of (casualty of war)Q4 . JimStim seems to be working everything fine except for RPM. I now need to know what to do to the JimStim to simulate my LS1 24x signal along with the cam trigger so I can figure out whether i have the pots right and whatnot before i stick it all in the car and spin the starter only to have it laugh its *** off at me :mrgreen:

EDIT: I say this ...when I set the MSQ up for basic trigger and single coil with all of the jimstim switches off....I get no RPM with the fine or coarse pots on the stim. Am I supposed to install jumpers on the stim to make RPMs happen?
Ricky-
1995 Nissan 240sx, 403 LS strokerv8 N/A 6speed trans
MS3&MS3X v.3.0 PCB
42lb/hr Hi-Z inj.,230/232 @.050 on 114LSA cam
sequential fuel and sequential spark
LS3/LSA card MAF sensor
97 Mazda MX5
MS3 2002 vvt motor
.60 trim T4 Turbo at 15 PSI
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: How do I simulate an LS1 wheel with the Jimstim

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Assuming you have configured the input as per the MS3 manual, you will need to install the square wave jumper and the 5V or 12V pull up jumper for the primary tach signal as shown here: http://jbperf.com/JimStim/JimStim_v2_0_ ... .html#tach. You may need to adjust R56 on your MS board to get a clean signal.

However, you have to understand that whatever setting you end up using to have a clean RPM with the JimStim won't guarantee that this will be what you need on the car. Going from the JimStim to the car setup is the same as using a completely different crank sensor so you may need to make different adjustments to get a clean RPM input on the car. However, you will know that the hardware is functional once you have it working with the JimStim and you can also play with different settings to get more familiar with them and see what effect they have.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
nismoautoxr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nismoautoxr »

thanks Jean... I understand that it might not be a "turnkey"setup . Just need to know (as you said ) that im in the ballpark and how to jumper the Jimstim and set the switches to simulate an LS1 crank and cam so that I can test the hardware as I have built it .

Ive configured the PCB and the MS3X board as I interpret the assembly in the manual and used all of the LS1 specific docs I could find ( I probably missed one) . Understanding and reality can differ greatly so I kinda wanna make sure Im not across the street from the parking lot of the ballpark when I totally dismantle a running setup during track day season.:lol:
Ricky-
MS3&MS3X v.3.0 PCB
LS3/LSA card MAF sensor
97 Mazda MX5
MS3 2002 vvt motor
gjestico
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gjestico »

Does the current Jimstim have the correct LS1 wheel code in it ? Mine (from late last year) did not. That could be your issue.
You may have to set a 'generic wheel' eg 36-1, in the stim and your MS for bench testing rpm.
67 Chevelle, LSX V8 engine, EFI., cuppa 80's TPI projects....I like wires.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

gjestico wrote:Does the current Jimstim have the correct LS1 wheel code in it ? Mine (from late last year) did not.
This is still the case (V2.0.3).

And using another mode to test the hardware is the way to go. But he was already doing this as he mentioned he tried the basic trigger mode.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
nismoautoxr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nismoautoxr »

Thanks for the link Jean. I just didnt know how to arrange the jumpers . I got RPM just fine through basic trigger and the square wave hall signal with a 12v pullup . Thats what it will see with the LS1 hall so I think it will crank the car .NOw if I only had the stim for the MS3X card I could have some real fun LOL. I can use my scope for that though. This whole rig has pretty much tapped me out in the "madmoney" account right now
Ricky-
MS3&MS3X v.3.0 PCB
LS3/LSA card MAF sensor
97 Mazda MX5
MS3 2002 vvt motor