86 Maserati Biturbo

General talk about successes. See older information on MSRUNS forum.
sportage4x4
Experienced MS/Extra'er

86 Maserati Biturbo

Post by sportage4x4 »

so, this is it, finally it runs. i'll add some pics later on today.

2.5L carb'd engine, 7.3:1 CR, big valve (2.8L) head swap, twin RHB5 turbos, TWM Induction DCNF carb replacement throttle body, 2 x72lb low-z injectors, front mount intercoolers from biturbo Si.

it was fuel only for the better part of last year. still didnt run very good. tracked it down to shoddy timing, so onwards with the DIS conversion. using two EDIS6 modules, each with their own VR sensor, VR sensors staggered at the bank angle of 90º. each EDIS module fires cylinders at 240º intervals (wastespark at TDC exhaust). Six oem Marelli coils driven by the edis modules (seems to be fine).

fyi: the engine is odd-fire, hence the two edis modules. fires 90-150-90-150-90-150.

i want to dyno the setup, at 1bar boost it should easily max out the 250ish HP capacity of the current injectors. if all goes well i haven't decided on what to do next. either port injection (would be easiest to use oem efi manifold) or a staged injection setup inside the plenum (cheapest method).
1990 Mazda Miata: GM Gen3 V8 swap, 4.8L, custom cam, 2x GT2860R turbos, MS3 + MS3X.
2003 Kia Rio wagon: Mazda B6T/G25MR swap, Miata CAS, IHI RHF5 @ 2bar, LSx truck coils, P&H board, boost control.
gjm
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: 86 Maserati Biturbo

Post by gjm »

Apologies for digging up an old (very old!) thread!

How did you get on with this? I'm considering an '87 BiTurbo, probably one of the last to have come from the factory with a carb and top mount intercooler. It seems to have been reasonably well maintained, but I've yet to do a proper bodywork inspection. I'm well aware of the shortcomings of these cars - I had two before moving to New Zealand. The electrical systems are still a mystery as while both my cars were BiTurbos, there didn't seem much in common between the wiring!

I'd be keen to ditch the carb, but could take that in small steps.

No MSQ or logs (yet).
bigolejay
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: 86 Maserati Biturbo

Post by bigolejay »

Hate to bump this post but, you got any details on this? I'll be doing the same exact thing with standard head and a JTC45i TC body.