Mazda Capella Rx2 + MS2 V3

General talk about successes. See older information on MSRUNS forum.
rx7_ben
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Mazda Capella Rx2 + MS2 V3

Post by rx7_ben »

Hi there,

I thought I would post up my success story with my little Mazda Capella.

I first installed my ms2 about 3 years ago running ignition only by utilising series 5 rx7 leading and trailing coils on my standard 12a rotary engine. After much hassle trying to construct a circuit to work with the 2nd VR sensor input from the rx7 crank angle sensor, it fired into life. The lighning bolts from the rx7 wasted spark leading and direct fire trailing made it go like the clappers!

I then decided to install a 13b Bridgeport and fuel inject it with an Injection Perfection twin 50mm throttle body setup while retaining my already established rx7 ignition system. I'm running 4 550cc rx7 injectors in a staged configuarion, with a bosch 044, malpassi fuel reg, anti surge tank etc.

I was running the car like this on a speed density tune which was horrible due to the poor vacuum signal the heavily ported motor produces. I ran it down the quarter mile like this but the best time I could manage was a 14 dead. In addition to this I have run the car at Sandown Inernational Motorway here in Melbourne and managed a 1:35 lap time.

I have since changed to an Alpha-N algorithm and I haven't looked back, the engine is much more responsive and pulls hard right through the rev range to 9,000rpm. I havent run the car down the strip or the circuit since changing to Alpha-N, but intend to do so in the coming months once some suspension modifications have been completed.

Here is a video of a celebratory burnout I did after changing to Alpha-N, however it was cut short by my accidental fusing the clutch plate to the pressure plate. woops :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqy4VNLRY5s

And a picture from when I took it to the strip.

rx7_ben
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Mazda Capella Rx2 + MS2 V3

Post by rx7_ben »

Bit of an update.

I built a new 13b bridgeport for the car and have enjoyed no issues with it.

Last month I competed in a 1/4 mile sprint and ended up winning my class which gave me the national title with a time of 12.477, which I was pretty pleased with. However I was experiencing problems with detonation all day, so I know the car should have a little more in it.
Here's a picture from that day. It's a curved 1/4 mile event that has been run since 1956 on the waterfront of Geelong.

Also, here's a video of a burnout I did a couple of weeks ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VwE_8v7zBY

I'm very happy with my Megasquirt and I love MSdroid as well. I wouldn't have been able to do it without the help of people on here and the rx7club megasquirt subforum. Thanks guys.
arran
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by arran »

Nice job, that is a spectacular quarter mile time! Street tyres?

Good to see your success with Megasquirt and rotary...
RX7 Series 2 13B Turbo. Megasquirt 3 with 3X Expander and V3 CPU. Firmware 1.4.1
Knock module, twin EGT, real time clock, WBO2, full sequential fuel and spark
http://web.aanet.com.au/arran
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

I always liked these little beasts. Especially the series 1 Capella/rx2. Did about 100km trip in a 4 cyl one about 20 years ago.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
rx7_ben
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rx7_ben »

Thanks Arran! Yes that is on street tyres (A048) and an unprepped surface. The rest of the year it's just a carpark.
Not your everyday street tyres, but DOT approved street tyres none the less. As fitted to Lotus Elises standard :)

Thanks Luke, they really are fantastic little cars. Like you, most seem to prefer the early model, but I much prefer the refined front and rear of the late model. I still reserve a soft spot for early ones though.