97 Subaru Impreza (6/7 Trigger)

General talk about successes. See older information on MSRUNS forum.
bubba2533
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: 97 Subaru Impreza (6/7 Trigger)

Post by bubba2533 »

Ok, I'll make up a drawing of what I have done for my crank and cam inputs so that it's easy for everyone to visualize. I find it's much easier than trying to explain with text.

I don't have any noise filtering enabled.
97 Subaru Impreza 2.2L - MS3 w/ MS3/x
carphappy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by carphappy »

thanks, i'm looking forward to seeing what you have done.
bubba2533
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by bubba2533 »

Update 5:

So I haven't been able to work on this thing very much. But I did manage to clean up the wiring enough to be able to take some pictures of it. I will upload them in the next day or so. Maybe I'll even show off the launch control in a video.

For a base timing map I was previously using the supplied MS map which is way less than ideal and very conservative. I have now updated it after doing a little research for another project.

I remember while learning about tuning awhile ago that timing is bore and stroke specific (combined with other factors). Combine this with the fact that the EJ22 is identical in bore and stroke of the EG33 (SVX engine). I was researching how to read my stock ECU and found that it is very similar to the SVX ECU. Then I found that someone has already pulled all the information off of the SVX ECU and posted it online. Not only did they have the base timing map, but they had a JDM SVX timing map which was a little more aggressive than the USDM one.

So I converted those HEX values in excel to decimal and now I have a JDM SVX EG33 timing map running in my megasquirt 3.

Also, I have since gotten the megasquirt controlling the fuel pump, coolant fans, and idle valve.

I am sorry I have not posted more documentation, but I would really like to iron that out before posting it online.
bubba2533
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by bubba2533 »

Update 6:

Small Update.

I have now done some slight tuning to make warm-up a little more consistent and refined. I also turned on simple EGO control and it is pulling my cruise AFR right to my Requested values with only 10% Authority. I have tuned AE some and still need to tweak it, but I have made great improvement in regard to AFR under acceleration.

I have 2 entire tanks of fuel with the MS and I have averaged 22.4 MPG over the two. This is a huge jump up from the 15.9 MPG that I got before with the MS. I believe this is because of the better timing map that was pulled from the JDM SVX ECU.

I hope to be purchasing a home soon, which will give me a garage to work in and be able to accomplish the changes that I hope to make.

1) I hope to wire up my MAF and start using that instead of MAP and see if that will make tuning easier on me.
2) I also hope to tap into my knock sensor signal wire and put that as a line in on the mic port of my laptop to try and advance timing within acceptable levels. I might even just try and listen to the knock sensor with a amplifier and determine if I can hear knocking.
3) I will likely be trying out PID EGO and Closed Loop Idle control also.
dtadie
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dtadie »

Congrats on your success! I'll bet it runs so much better than the original engine. I'm hoping this spring to swap out a 914 engine and put an EJ22 in a small homemade car to be used for autocrossing. Any chance I could get a copy of your config file to use as a starting point?
bubba2533
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by bubba2533 »

The first post has a currect copy of my MSQ. I will be updating it every once and awhile so check back for updates.
tpsretard2
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by tpsretard2 »

i just got my ms3 running odly i had to add 30k inline on the cam......
bubba2533
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by bubba2533 »

That is odd. I saw your thread about the troubles you were having.

I still only have the ones you recommended with my install. I am also using Jean's Dual VR 2.0 Board, which might be letting me get away with out the change.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

bubba2533 wrote:I am also using Jean's Dual VR 2.0 Board, which might be letting me get away with out the change.
That will definitely make a difference since this is a completely different circuit from the ones on the V3.0 and MS3X boards.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
bubba2533
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by bubba2533 »

Update 7:

Well I finally got some nice weather and cleaned up my install.

My MS3 is now residing in my glove box, which is a great improvement from the passenger floor board.

I also ran a couple more wires so that I can start looking at my knock sensor and MAF sensor. But my MAF is not working yet because I didn't realize until I had it all put together that the MAF had am isolated ground wire to the ECU. So now I'll have to tear it apart and put one more wire in when the weather gets nice again.

I'll update this thread with pictures of how it looks at some point.
subarvair
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by subarvair »

Would you be willing to share your eg33 base maps? I have seen the maps posted on alcyone.org.uk but don't have the background that you have to convert the hex value to something MS can use.
Thanks
Mike
bubba2533
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by bubba2533 »

Update 8:

Ok, so I have been tuning a little over the past few months and started on closed loop idle control. It is exactly as hard as I thought it would be as I have never done it before.

I updated my tune in the first post to reflect the changes I've made. I'll update to the release code soon and update it again.

I also added a composite log and normal log just for reference to anyone that is looking to use the Subaru 6/7 wheels.
sjgharib
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by sjgharib »

Hi

I noticed your timing map actually has some cells at TDC (0) and some ATDC (neg numbers). Is this correct, or do you have additional advance somewhere else?

Thanks,
Simon
Mario
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Mario »

Thanks for the info on your motor. It's really helping me with a friends car. Are you still running it?
1967 Beetle My test mule
The Dub Shop
Facebook
Megasquirt for life!
bubba2533
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by bubba2533 »

Hey, No it is not. I removed the MS due to it being my DD and didn't have the time to work on it anymore.

It is now become my winter beater because I got a 2013 WRX which I have been more interested in tuning with opensource.

I hope to get another project to put the MS on as I enjoy it very much.

Glad my posts could help someone as that is why I posted all of this in the first place.
Sleepless
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Sleepless »

Hey, I always keep an eye on this thread too, as I plan to run a MS on one of my Impreza's soon enough... So also thanks for the posts, I know they will help me out soon enough as well!
toonz
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by toonz »

Yes... Please keep this 6/7 trigger topic alive. ...
claycity
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by claycity »

Is still running?
Av8shunmeckaneck
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Av8shunmeckaneck »

Wanted to bump this one with my experience. I'm running a similar engine JDM EJ205 turbo with the JDM 6/7 trigger wheels and JDM pickups. I got it running without resistors but would lose sync around 2000 rpm. I ended up with the resistors on both the CAM and Crank sensors and it runs great.

Here is my thread with some more detail on how I got it to work. http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 31&t=72414