Our Landracing Car - 283mph running MS3X + IOX

General talk about successes. See older information on MSRUNS forum.
dieselgeek
Master MS/Extra'er

Our Landracing Car - 283mph running MS3X + IOX

Post by dieselgeek »

Just wanted to make a post thanking all those involved with the MS3X project, and share with you guys the success we've had using Megasquirt and JB Performance products this past week on the Salt Flats of Bonneville.

I've been working on this car for some time, almost 3 years now, and finally we were able to take it out and make some test passes. We did pretty well, bumping the A/BGALT record from 256mph to 275.3mph with a total of 4 passes. 2 shakedown / test runs, one pass to qualify for the record, and one Return run to "back it up."

What amazed me was, the number of other Megasquirt'd cars already on the salt, going for records, and taking them!! EFI-DIY on here, his team broke the record in their #6666 Black Opel Racing car (Opel GT), and got their driver into the exlusive 200mph club (the infamous Red Hat! - 4x as many people have summited Mt. Everest than have achieved entry into this club). We ran into another group running a 2JZ turbo engine with Megasquirt 2, who also qualified for a record in their class (they couldn't back it up, their harmonic dampener came loose on the qualifier pass). I remeber when nobody knew what megasquirt was, now it seems everyone knows and so many people are having success with these products, it makes me feel like I made the right choice all those years ago when I first got started in the MS community. The support here is tremendous!

Anyhow, check out the pics below, feel free to ask questions about the engine management, tuning, data gathering, etc.

And finally, many man thanks to Jerry Hoffman and Matt Cramer who actually came with us to the Salt Flats to make sure I had the tune straightened out, also big thanks to Ken and James who always take my questions (even if they are repetitive, I can be slow to learn), and Jean Belanger who provided all the data gathering equipment and excellent technical support - I can't thank you guys enough, I know you do this because it's your passion - not just a job!

If you have time, check out this article on bangshift.com which has a lot of details on the build and a ton of pictures:

http://bangshift.com/blog/car-feature-l ... nk-so.html

Squirted: it's easier to list the ones I haven't squirted. I need to do more motorcycle engines!
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Our Landracing Car - 283mph running MS3X + IOX

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Scott,

Congratulations to you and everyone involved for this record. It has been great to see this progress and go for the record and there's obviously more to come. And I'm glad you were able to use the IOx to help you. It's great to be able to be a very small part of this.

As you said, it's great to see MS being used by many racers. And from my personal point of view, it's good to see you and the Black Opel Racing car using the IOx.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Way cool car. Glad to see you managed to keep the build simple. :mrgreen:

I am dealing with 4 SCCA racecars this year. Three on MS3-MS3x and one on Microsquirt.

Beast
dieselgeek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dieselgeek »

Thanks Andy! You and Peter Florance have spent many hours on the phone with me getting me up to speed on your own experiences so I can learn from them - and I did!

Meanwhile, for those of you into roadracing/SCCA/etc. - Neil Roberts - an expert aerodynamics engineer who consulted on this project - wrote a pretty cool blog item from his own perspective. Check it out if you have a few minutes. He really hits home on the importance of teamwork in an effort like this one:

http://thinkfastengineering.com/2012/08/its-a-we-deal/
Squirted: it's easier to list the ones I haven't squirted. I need to do more motorcycle engines!
atomic6
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by atomic6 »

Very cool Scott.

Do you have any pics of the electronics installed, and wiring, etc. ?
1986 G.N. (sold)
1967 Nova II wagon (sold)
ex-MSer
dieselgeek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dieselgeek »

atomic6 wrote:Very cool Scott.

Do you have any pics of the electronics installed, and wiring, etc. ?

We hid all the ugly stuff behind the dash - for good reason! it's not really pretty. We installed the entire harness, ran the car on the chassis dyno, then disassembled the entire thing - including the wiring and sensors - for powdercoating and paint. Going back together, much of the harness was "too long here, woo short there" - thankfully, it's all hidden behind the dash (which takes 2 minutes to remove).

I'll see if I can dig up some pics anyhow,
-Scott
dieselgeek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dieselgeek »

Passenger side, up against the firewall is a removable panel that contains the MS3X, the IO Extender, a relay panel (by Spaghetti Menders), and a number of terminal blocks.

I used the terminal blocks as +5v, +12v, and low current grounds. There are a ton of +5v and +12v sensors that use the blocks.

I used Amphenol AT-series connectors - these are SOOOOOO much better and easier to use than Weatherpak - for the sub-harness assemblies. The AT connectors come apart quickly and easily if I need to remove an individual circuit.

It would be a lot cleaner if I had more time to do the re-install, but it's functional - easy to work on - and well hidden by the custom fabricated dash.

I didn't use a bulkhead connector, I wanted to minimize chances of failure. All the wires that go out under the hood go straight to the sensor connectors. There's a 4.5" hole in the firewall where the wiring passes through. Everything that goes under the hood is sleeved in high dollar heat shielding. It seemed to work pretty good, we had high under hood temps as expected but the only thing that melted was the paint on the fenders 8)
ca434sbc4
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ca434sbc4 »

For the 6666 Black Opel team, we whole heartly agree with what Scott wrote.

To see MS progress from the 1st B&G group buy.. to what MS3 is now its been a lot of dedicated work by numerous people. The single biggest change in how the Opel runs was when we made the change from MS2E batch to MS3 sequential - and there is still more left on the table. For the team owners/drivers to go from constant flow mechanical injection to EFI was a big step, they are RBC'ers (retired before computers) so it has been a learning curve for them. The first year out with EFI the car went faster.

5AM comes really early on the Salt getting prepped in impound for the record attempt.

http://bangshift.com//assets/galleries/ ... -1-008.jpg

Scotts quote below...

Just wanted to make a post thanking all those involved with the MS3X project, and share with you guys the success we've had using Megasquirt and JB Performance products this past week on the Salt Flats of Bonneville.

What amazed me was, the number of other Megasquirt'd cars already on the salt, going for records, and taking them!! EFI-DIY on here, his team broke the record in their #6666 Black Opel Racing car (Opel GT), and got their driver into the exlusive 200mph club (the infamous Red Hat! - 4x as many people have summited Mt. Everest than have achieved entry into this club). We ran into another group running a 2JZ turbo engine with Megasquirt 2, who also qualified for a record in their class (they couldn't back it up, their harmonic dampener came loose on the qualifier pass). I remeber when nobody knew what megasquirt was, now it seems everyone knows and so many people are having success with these products, it makes me feel like I made the right choice all those years ago when I first got started in the MS community. The support here is tremendous!

Anyhow, check out the pics below, feel free to ask questions about the engine management, tuning, data gathering, etc.

And finally, many man thanks to Jerry Hoffman and Matt Cramer who actually came with us to the Salt Flats to make sure I had the tune straightened out, also big thanks to Ken and James who always take my questions (even if they are repetitive, I can be slow to learn), and Jean Belanger who provided all the data gathering equipment and excellent technical support - I can't thank you guys enough, I know you do this because it's your passion - not just a job!
dieselgeek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dieselgeek »

In Car footage of the car's third pass, or it's first complete pass on the long course. This qualified us for the record, which we backed up the next day - 10mph faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWBaAOyY ... ature=plcp

MPH and EGTs brought to you by the IO Extender!!
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

That's a great video!

It is interesting to see the suspension travel (also from the IOx) and see the downforce pushing the car down as speed increases.
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Nice video with the overlays. Scott almost has me convinced to get an IOX board for a street car =P Perhaps on the next project.
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Freaking AWESOME pics and video. The record that went with them is simply magnificent. I think that between the Daytona and the Opel it has been proved without a doubt that MS is as good or better than any SEM on the market and lets face it, you can't beat the price. I too work on a couple of SCCA cars that got squirted this year. Both are running MS3s for the SD logging as it's a godsend at the track.

Well done Scott!

Jeff
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
dieselgeek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dieselgeek »

prof315 wrote:Freaking AWESOME pics and video. The record that went with them is simply magnificent. I think that between the Daytona and the Opel it has been proved without a doubt that MS is as good or better than any SEM on the market and lets face it, you can't beat the price. I too work on a couple of SCCA cars that got squirted this year. Both are running MS3s for the SD logging as it's a godsend at the track.

Well done Scott!

Jeff

Thank you Jeff :)

(I remember you from PRI)
HidRo
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by HidRo »

That sound drives you crazy, right? :D Congrats on the run!
Golf II + 1.8T 20V + MSII V3.0 http://eight620vt.tk/
brianj5600
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by brianj5600 »

That is an awesome project for sure. Are there any products similar to the io Extender on the market? I would like to have at least 15 more I O's
1967 Mustang Coupe, 351w, S475 turbo, MS3.0 3x, c4, 8.8, ls coils, e85
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

brianj5600 wrote:That is an awesome project for sure. Are there any products similar to the io Extender on the market? I would like to have at least 15 more I O's
I'm working on a new version of the I/O Extender. But it is not yet ready.

Jean
brianj5600
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by brianj5600 »

Any idea on release?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

brianj5600 wrote:Any idea on release?
It's at least a few months away.
brianj5600
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by brianj5600 »

racingmini_mtl wrote:
Any updates? Features? Release date?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

brianj5600 wrote:
racingmini_mtl wrote:
Any updates? Features? Release date?
Not yet ready for details and release date since there is still a lot of work needed but here's a small preview:
Initial prototype
Initial prototype
iox_plus_v1_0.jpg (37.67 KiB) Viewed 3377 times
Jean