Mercedes SL600 12cyl running on MS3

General talk about successes. See older information on MSRUNS forum.
Tinkers Toy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Mercedes SL600 12cyl running on MS3

Post by Tinkers Toy »

Finally have my car running smoothly on Megasquirt . :yeah!: Time to work on my tune and advanced idle settings. Here is my build information.
MS3, MS3X, 4 channel driver board.
two GM cable driven throttle bodies using one of the integral idle stepper valves and blocking off the other and using one of the throttle position sensors and removing the other. A solid connecting rod ties the two throttle bodies together.
GM coolant temp sensor
GM air temp sensor
36-1 crank wheel and hall sensor
Innovate LC1 wideband O2 sensor

Right now the car is running semi-sequential fuel only on Megasquirt and the ignition and knock is still handled by the Mercedes ECU's

Phase two is to add coil near plug ignition by adding GM LS1 coils and a 36-1 trigger wheel in place of one of the distributor's on the front of the cams. At that time I'll go fully sequential fuel as well.
vagman
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Mercedes SL600 12cyl running on MS3

Post by vagman »

Pics or never happened!
Brian
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Brian »

Agreed, no pics, it's just in your imagination.

So, is it one of the older early 90's to 2001 or so SL or the almost current 03-12?
65 Cobra replica, 427W, MS2
71 Vette, 383 with shitty chinese 8 stack and no dizzy
Tinkers Toy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tinkers Toy »

It's a 1994 SL600 in great shape except for the beat up front air dam typical for these years as it sits so low. That will be an easy fix since I used to do high end paint jobs in my youth. I'm attaching a photo of my car if I can get it to work. I don't take a lot of pictures but I will try to show off my conversion work under the hood in the next few weeks.
1994 SL600.jpg
sorry for the oversized photo, like I said I'm not very media savvy.
Tinkers Toy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tinkers Toy »

vagman wrote:Pics or never happened!
here we go. Very very tight engine bay. MS is only temp wired for proof of concept. All wiring will be tidied up and the ECU moved to the glove box in the floor behind the passenger seat. The entire engine gets covered up with decorative panels. I'll submit final pictures when it's all buttoned up.
MB Engine Bay, MS temp wired for proof of concept and wiring, time to move MS ECU to the rear glove box behind the passenger seat..jpg
GM TB showingTPS & IAC Stepper on leftside of engine.jpg
Tinkers Toy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tinkers Toy »

more pics
left side GM TB, adapter, throttle cables, solid TB connecting rod, all buttoned up.jpg
Adapter plate Mercedes to GM TB and trans kickdown mount right side of engine.jpg
Adapter plate mountedwith countersunk allen head bolts and countersunk studs from the backside.jpg
Tinkers Toy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tinkers Toy »

you asked! more pics.
right side GM TB, adapter, Trans Kickdown all buttoned up.jpg
Right side TB with air ducting and Mercedes MAF sensor no longer in use.jpg
Megasquirt temp wired in and running, old Merc TB's sitting on fenders..jpg
Tinkers Toy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tinkers Toy »

I'll see you all this summer enjoying top down motoring!
1994 Mercedes SL600 left front.jpg
1994Mercedes SL600 left rear.jpg
vagman
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by vagman »

Oh! How I like that car/model!
Thanks for the pictures. Just..... don't install the trigger wheel on the camshaft. That's not so correct for for engine control. I'm wondering how you gonna have seq. fuel control for 12cyl when MS Pro has 8 inj drivers?
Regards!
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

vagman wrote:Oh! How I like that car/model!
Thanks for the pictures. Just..... don't install the trigger wheel on the camshaft. That's not so correct for for engine control. I'm wondering how you gonna have seq. fuel control for 12cyl when MS Pro has 8 inj drivers?
Regards!
He's not using the MS3-Pro but the MS3/MS3X plus another board to provide the 4 additional injector and ignition channels.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Correct - and the MS3-Pro can use some of its high current output channels for additional injectors, giving it a total of 12 sequential fuel outputs.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Tinkers Toy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tinkers Toy »

Jean is correct, I'm using MS3, MS3X and Jean's 4 channel driver board. I have a 36-1 trigger wheel on the front of my crankshaft. I'm changing my mind about a 36-1 cam trigger thinking I'll go for a 50/50 homemade wheel with a hall sensor when that time comes. I wish I could figure out how to piggy back off the Mercedes cam sensor, I have not checked personally but I read that it uses a VR sensor on the cam with two magnets 120 degrees apart. I consider that 3-1 configuration and I'm told it is not supported in MS. If anybody has thoughts I'm open to suggestions. If not I'll just make the cam trigger wheel when I abandon the Mercedes ignition system and let MS control spark, that will be phase two. Right now I'm just getting excited to start driving my car around again.

Matt & Jean, thanks for your support and help.
Tinkers Toy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tinkers Toy »

I just added 12 each LS2 D585 coils, the ones with the heat sinks, and eliminated all the Mercedes ignition. Working great now on semi-sequential fuel and wasted spark. next phase would be to add a cam sensor and go full sequential. Not really needed but maybe someday I'll do it when I get bored.
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

Pictures!!
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

Tinkers Toy wrote:I just added 12 each LS2 D585 coils, the ones with the heat sinks, and eliminated all the Mercedes ignition. Working great now on semi-sequential fuel and wasted spark. next phase would be to add a cam sensor and go full sequential. Not really needed but maybe someday I'll do it when I get bored.
I cant see the photos but perhaps an effect of them having been posted a while ago?
As well, surely you need to have a turbo on this 8)
Lorne
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"
Tinkers Toy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tinkers Toy »

funny you should ask, I have been looking at turbos but there is absolutely no room in the engine bay for anything. I had trouble finding room for the 12 coils. I would have to mount the turbos in the rear of the car under the trunk and plumb the intake side forward back to the throttle bodies. it's possible but I'm so satisfied with how it is running so I think I'm going to drive it and enjoy it. Finally figured out the Catalytic converters were plugged up since the day I bought it. I removed the cats today and this thing finally runs as it should. If I do anything it will be sequential fuel and spark. I am totally satisfied with MegaSquirt and the support
I've been given.
1994 Mercedes on Mega Squirt LS2 coils.jpg
1994 Mercedes on Mega Squirt LS2 coils, V12, lots of wires.jpg
1994 Mercedes SL600 on Megasquirt.jpg
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

Wow, there isn't a lot of free room there for sure.
Beautiful, sure would love to hear it 8)
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

Very cool. I'd love an SL someday.
Tinkers Toy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tinkers Toy »

I really do not have a lot of time invested in my tune, you would think I could find someone to drive my car around while I work on it. I just do it glancing at my laptop and pulling over to tweak it a little. I took a long road trip this past weekend and I was averaging 17.2 MPG at 80 - 85 MPH. I'm quite happy with that for now. I figure that's not too bad for a 4600 pound car with a 6 liter V12. I'm sure if I work at it I can squeeze out a little more on the performance and economy side of things. So far I'm very pleased with my Megasquirted Mercedes V12.
WestfieldMX5
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WestfieldMX5 »

congrats! nice looking car!
2016 Westfield SEiW MX5 1.8 - 6sp - Torsen - MSM turbo - MS3 Pro - 2.3kg/hp