1985 Jaguar XJS V12

General talk about successes. See older information on MSRUNS forum.
chrisjbell
MS/Extra Newbie

1985 Jaguar XJS V12

Post by chrisjbell »

I have my 1985 Jaguar XJS v12 running on MS-II built from a DIY Autotune kit. I'm running the 3.0 board and have the dual MAP upgrade. It is set up right now as fuel only - I am going to add spark control pretty soon but not just yet.

This is my first Jag and it was something of an impulse buy (this happens to me way too often). A v12 has always sounded really cool and so I was excited to pick the car up for a pretty decent price. I was told that it would run just great - it had "bad gas" from sitting for too long. Well, that was probably true (although I did burn all the gas I drained in my mower) but that wasn't the only issue it had.

I wound up putting in a new ECU along the way and was able to get it running but it wouldn't pass smog - I live in California and anything newer than 1975 has to pass emissions. Getting anyone to smog it is actually a bit of a trick - they like to look at it with a stupid expression and shrug. I had it at a place where they spent quite a bit of time on it and told me it had an intake leak. I hadn't thought it did, but ripped the top end apart and replaced a bunch of gaskets anyway.

After I got it back together, I couldn't get it to run worth a d*** and by this time I was sick of not knowing what the ECU thought was happening. Proper fueling was definitely the problem but I was going nuts trying to figure out why since I couldn't find anything else wrong. I'd looked at MS in the past (I also have a 1980 Porsche 928 which also uses a variety of the older Bosch fuel injection) and decided that I was going to take the plunge.

I'd done enough reading to know that it was NOT advised to install MS on an engine that wasn't running correctly but basically I was at the point that I didn't really care any more - I'd developed an almost maniacal hatred of the Lucas ECU by then. I built the kit (I'm a computer engineer by trade and know enough about electronics to be dangerous) and made sure it worked by using a preassembled stim unit before installing it. Got everything in and wired up the MS unit using the original ECU wiring, which is what another guy had done (macaddict). Went to fire it up and...

...it didn't work very well, but was better results than I'd had with the Lucas ECU. Next step was to wire straight up to the injectors and see what I got. Once I stopped using any of the stock wiring it worked beautifully. Had to do a bit of tweaking to the fuel settings to get it going but it is now running better than I've ever heard it.

I'm using PWM with the stock low impedance injectors, seems to work quite well. I'm still messing with my settings so I don't have an msq that I'm happy enough with to post but I will do so as soon as I think it is "good enough".

One of the awful components in the Jag engine is the idle air valve - it is a mechanically controlled thermostatic device that is truly awful. I've got two of them and they both fail in different ways so for now I'm acting as my own extra air valve (this means jamming a screwdriver in the hose to bypass the thing until the engine warms up). Just grabbed a Bosch valve off an older Volvo that looks like it will work, going to try that in the next couple of days.

I wound up cutting out several miles worth of wire that runs from the engine back to the original ECU location and have the MS unit mounted in the glove box area. The PO had destroyed the box by putting in a CD changer that didn't work so once I tore that out I had a bunch of unused space, plus the door makes a really nice access panel. I also removed a bunch of wiring under the hood when I took out the stock resistor pack - makes for a much cleaner install.

I've also got an Innovate wideband sensor installed on one bank and the engine is running really, really clean now. A bit rich at idle, rich at WOT and right around stoich everywhere else. Not that I spend a lot of time sniffing the exhaust but it "smells clean" - no longer that nasty smell of lots of unburned fuel. I just picked up a pass to take it and see if it passes smog - as long as I can get past the visual I'm confident I'll be OK. The sniffer test holds no worries.

There is absolutely no way that I could have done this without the various posts on the MS boards and a couple of the Jag boards. Those that have gone before did all the hard work and I would have to dig up a bunch of names to thank the people that deserve it. If you're one of them - thanks. :) It's been a lot of fun and the great thing is that there's still more to do. I'll be updating my post with more information and an MSQ in the next few days.
Yoeddynz
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: 1985 Jaguar XJS V12

Post by Yoeddynz »

Sweet and congrats man. I fancy a jag v12 in something old. Would sound so lush. Have you got a build thread somewhere for this car?

Alex
linktr.ee/yellowhammerworkshop
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

I have a (UK) Rover SD1 with the same Lucas injection. I'm surprised you have had problems with the Bosch cold start fast idle valve - it's normally very reliable. Worth drilling out the rivets to give it a good clean (assuming the heater is still ok) and re-assemble with nuts and bolts. Of course it does need the thermotime switch and wiring to function correctly.
Later versions of the Lucas injection on the RV8 substitute the over-run valve assembly for a stepper motor idle control which simply bolts on. Dunno if the Jag plenum uses the same arrangement. The MS2 will drive this stepper motor directly.

I'm still using the Bosch idle valve as it works ok here. But have got a stepper unit waiting to be fitted - closed loop idle control would be nice to have.

I started out fuel only with an MS2 - then changed to ignition using EDIS. That brought just about as many benefits as changing the Lucas ECU to MS.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Marek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Marek »

Dear Chris,

I am using a pair of Bosch idle valves on my car. I found that when setting up during the winter a couple of years ago, I always needed to put my foot on the gas a little to get started at 0'c, hence the second valve. A look at the cross sectional area of the Bosch valve and the Jaguar mechanical valve shows the Bosch to be much smaller.

The current settings are:-
cranking
freezing 73% to hot 63%

open loop idle
freezing 54% to hot 43%

(The valve is closed ~42-43% and ~80% is full open)

This is with MS3, running sequential injection. There are some pictures on the jag-lovers.org website.

kind regards
Marek