64 F100 4.6 and 4r75W

General talk about successes. See older information on MSRUNS forum.
ap67et10
Helpful MS/Extra'er

64 F100 4.6 and 4r75W

Post by ap67et10 »

I've been putting this together for a little while. Its my shop truck/daily driver. Its a 64 F100, and has an 05 police interceptor front suspension swap with 12 disc brakes, power rack and pinion. I built a custom 3 link rear, coilovers, 8.8 posi 3.73 diff with 11 disc brakes. It has a 2v 4.6 mod motor from a 2010 police interceptor and the 4R75W 4 speed automatic transmission behind it. I am controlling the engine with MS3x, its full sequential, I run remote mount LS1 coils and I put a carburetor on top to make it look old school. The carb is simply a throttle body though...nothing else. I have it setup up for a bunch of other features too that I am implementing as I get it all dialed in. I am currently driving it everyday now, and I love it! :yeah!:

If you want to see a fairly complete build thread, it is here...still more to come though: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13090 ... hread.html

couple quick pictures:

Before: (I actually found it in a field and it looked WAY worse than this picture, but this was it when I was driving it everyday in bone stock form...well stock except for the MS2 and junkyard throttle body I put on it!) :lol:
Image[/url]

Now:

Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 64 F100 4.6 and 4r75W

Post by Matt Cramer »

Nice, that's one way to keep the carbed look! :lol:
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
ap67et10
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ap67et10 »

Yeah, the best part about this was that it was actually cheaper and easier for me to do it this way. This engine and transmission was pulled from the junk yard out of a 2010 police interceptor that had less than 50k on it. However the original throttle body is all drive by wire, so I would have had to get a mechanical throttle body. The other part about it is I would have had to figure out some sort of air intake/filter setup since the original was smashed when the car was smashed. I would have had to make some block off stuff for the emissions crap that is all bolted to the throttle body elbow. Plus I already had the holley carb which would have needed a rebuild and I already had the air cleaner (I bought it when I was in high school 11 yrs ago for my 65 el camino....I got the biggest air cleaner they made and it didn't fit! I've held onto it ever since and it had never been used until now.) So really the only thing I needed was an adapter plate to mount the carb onto the stock intake. I contacted a machinist buddy, sent some dimensions and $100 later I was in business. Using the carb also meant I didn't have to modify the throttle linkage at all. The biggest benefit of it is definitely aesthetics though. The stock setup has that super low profile 90* aluminum elbow and the throttle is right above the drivers cam cover. When it was sitting in the truck with that mocked up it looks sooo stupid! Very nice wide engine that looks about 3 feet too short in that engine bay.

I'm happy with how it came out. Now I just need to get the 150 shot of nitrous on it and dial in the traction control then I'll really be able to have some fun!

Andrew
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

How are you driving the transmission? Did you retain the factory computer for that?
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
ap67et10
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ap67et10 »

nope, it runs a GPIO controller connected over CAN to the MS3. You are the one that asked about setting up the GPIO for a 4r70w on GPIO forum right? I used info from Ashford's post where he set up a 4r70. It works well, but I used Jeans Dual VR board for OSS signal. The original VR circuit wasn't even remotely close, and I didn't want to mess with it. I've got about 1300 miles on the setup now, and am pretty happy with it. I still tweak on the transmission at times, but I have it good enough at the moment to drive, and haven't had time to play with it anymore.

Andrew
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

Yea, that we me. I since built my own controller. It's been over a year now and have it all working pretty well I'm guessing at over 10K miles, maybe more. You can see the code here.

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread ... oller-20x2

It's pretty minimal, only using TPS and VSS to pick what gear to be in. I used the V3.0 VR circuit to condition the VSS into digital and feed it back into a hardware interrupt pin. Oh yea.. I added bluetooth to allow shifting from my smart phone and for calibrating the TPS min and max values.

I may upgrade to the megashift GPIO in time...
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
ap67et10
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ap67et10 »

Reading through some of your info, it looks like you programmed 2 separate shift strategies for upshifts and downshifts? This is exactly what I just mentioned on GPIO forum. The only issues I have right now is unintended downshifts, and upshifts that aren't as aggressive as I would like. I think they should be different, but currently thatss not how GPIO works. Hopefully it will be changed. I can pick out things about code, but I'm not good with it at all. What makes you want to switch to GPIO instead of the setup you now have?

Andrew
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

The picaxe language is really slow to execute. PIC processors take 4 clock cycles to execute each machine command. Basic stamp language then takes 4 more cycles to execute each function. So when its all done at 8MHz it can only process about 1000 lines of code in 1 second. I seem to be at the limit of what the hardware interrupt can handle as it takes about 1.5ms to execute the interrupt routine. As the vehicle speed approaches 100mph the pulses will be coming in at about the time it takes to complete the interrupt.

I love the picaxe language and how well documented everything is. Its a great learning tool but when it comes to building a solid product you need have complete control over all the timers and registers to make the most that the hardware can offer.

I have a buddy that is really good at embedded systems. He writes code for custom autopilot stuff and has scratched coded an ecu for college sae buggy. We have talked about tossing together a simple trans controller using an arm cortex chip set. He can rattle off all kinds of spec's. We have looked at the S12C64 spec's to see what all it has to offer, he was impressed with all the peripherals and such. He has a lot of knowledge in can bus too. Everything in a UAV is handled by can bus.

Has any of the source code been released for any of the gpio based trans controllers? Lance has a string and James had released a beta several years back. Is there still an issue with CAN bus with ms2 extra code and lances trans code? He seemed to not want to support the extra side of the house.
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

I never answered your questions. Yes two different slopes for up and down shift. I used an excel sheet to plot the desired shift points. Y is always 100 which is tps. X the run is mph. So for the 1 to 2 upshift you pick the minimum speed you what this to occurs at zero tps.. 8mph.. Max mph for wot.. Say 40mph. So now you have a moving threshold of tps=mph times 100/32 - y intersept. I can't remember off hand how to find y interespt. Y1 - y2 over x1 - x2? Something like that. :RTFM: do the same thing for the other 2 up shifts. Down shifts follow the same idea. What is the max speed at wot you want for the next lower gear. 3 to 2... 60? Minimum speed of 15 mph? Tps= mph x 100/ 45 - y inter. So now as we drive we compare the actual read tps position to the calculated one for the gear and speed we are going. If we are below the upshift slope then we shift to the next gear up. Higher to the left of downshift then we bang down a gear.

The TCC function is the same way. I put a hysteresis of 5 to disengage the tcc after it has been locked. The tcc function doesn't have to parralell the current gear slope.

Pm me for more info. Not trying to hijack your thread.
242ATL
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 242ATL »

I just stumbled on this... and it made my day... Seriously cool. Kudos!
ap67et10
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ap67et10 »

Thank you! I am thoroughly enjoying it. I drive it every day, I haven't gotten to put AC in it yet, but I don't care. I still drive it in 100+ F weather even though I have a newer truck with AC! :shock: Some people think I'm crazy....

I am hoping to do some autocrossing with it soon too. Pulled a Mr. Rogers and changed shoes in anticipation for autocross. Its funny how the compliments and questions about the truck have changed since the wheel change. It used to be a cool old crappy truck and people would ask "what do you plan to do to it?". Now people ask "what have you done to it?" haha.

Some bright yellow pile of crap parked next to me...

ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

hah, i have a 60 f100 i was thinking about autocrossing as well. it did well at the dragstip so now i wanna try that.
ap67et10
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ap67et10 »

what did it do in 1/4? what power setup do you have in it?

I built mine to do everything, including be a very nice daily driver. I don't plan to break any records with it, but I do plan to beat the crap out of it and enjoy every minute of it!

Andrew
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

the setup is a 427w e4od lightning computer. it did a 12.6@105 with a too small intake on it, im gonna change the intake and it might catch an 11. it is actually a nice driving truck mII front end and 4 link rear with air bags.

a friend of mine who did alot of the body work posted up progress of it on another forum
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/165414 ... tml&page=1