HELP!! BMW E30 316 ITB's

General talk about successes. See older information on MSRUNS forum.
Revving
MS/Extra Newbie

HELP!! BMW E30 316 ITB's

Post by Revving »

Hello!!!

I've bought a BMW E30 PH2 and guess?? It was carbed, stock! The engine is a M10 1.6L. Had 75ps like the E21 315.

Well, my megasquirt was bought a few years ago. With a lots of patience, i assemble it and put the Extra software.

Made my own VR conditioner Board and soldered the necessary to make it spark'ing.

My car is with running wasted spark and with Bike Throttle Bodies from a GSXR 750. The wheel is a 36-1 and i'm using only the coolant.
I'm having some problems but here a little teaser ;)

Best whishes Everyone!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ON8_8BY-So
316 ITB.msq
Last edited by Revving on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Revving
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: BMW E30 316 ITB's

Post by Revving »

I'm having a problem with the engine stopping sometimes... And the BAT and WB reading are too irregular...

Can you check my log file? thanks
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: HELP!! BMW E30 316 ITB's

Post by Matt Cramer »

MAT and CLT both appear to be unplugged - do they work correctly on a Stim?

I'm also seeing RPM spikes. Can you capture a tooth log of that issue?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Revving
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Revving »

MAT is unplugged.
The car is already warm so the clt measures 77 and 100ºC... Didn't change the resistor, only used easytherm...

Well, i made this tooth logger. The board is made by me, with LM1815. I heard the MAX is better, should i make a new one?

After making this tooth logger, i wrote a new map to ecu and it gave me error. I made a powercycle and wrote again, successful.
Started the car and no matter which rpm it is, it always give the correct PW and then 25.5ms. I think my firmware is currupt and it always state the DC as 0%. I did a recovery and still the same. Reads RPM correctly but in VE and Spark maps, the dot only goes vertical, on the same rpm always, no matter which.

I love megasquirt, but it gives me such a headache!! Burn one O2 and this one is reading incorrectly some times... But, well i can't give up on my project!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Revving wrote:MAT is unplugged.
Ok, so you've identified one problem. This needs to be fixed.
Well, i made this tooth logger. The board is made by me, with LM1815. I heard the MAX is better, should i make a new one?
You seem to be missing some of the real teeth. Unfortunately, I don't have much information on adjusting the LM1815. I would use an oscilloscope to check the input and output.
After making this tooth logger, i wrote a new map to ecu and it gave me error. I made a powercycle and wrote again, successful.
Started the car and no matter which rpm it is, it always give the correct PW and then 25.5ms. I think my firmware is currupt and it always state the DC as 0%. I did a recovery and still the same. Reads RPM correctly but in VE and Spark maps, the dot only goes vertical, on the same rpm always, no matter which.
What if you reload the firmware and load an MSQ from before this problem started?
Revving
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Revving »

Matt Cramer wrote: You seem to be missing some of the real teeth. Unfortunately, I don't have much information on adjusting the LM1815. I would use an oscilloscope to check the input and output.
Right now i don't have an oscilloscope to do it. So i'm either trying to make a board with MAX IC or order one. This one is good and accordingly with the one on MSEXTRA instructions. The car worked fine but only in acceleration or hi rpm had problems... I think it's the sensor that vibrates.
Matt Cramer wrote:What if you reload the firmware and load an MSQ from before this problem started?
I reloaded today the hires firmware, i was on 29y4. But the car wouldn't start and the tooth logger was horrible! Then i reloaded again the 29y4 and the msq, the car started, but this second time i forgot to unplug the coil. The car is now working on 2 cylinders, because the others 2 doesn't have spark. :evil:

Thank you for your time. You are such a great team!
Revving
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Revving »

I replaced one of the VB921 by one BIP373... the car runs now, but i have one issue that put noise on tacho signal just by pressing the tps and the car is very hard to rev... i'm crazy :oops:
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Ok, can you send me a data log of the latest issue?
Revving
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Revving »

Here you can see two tooth log. The one which says failtach was when the car didn't rev. The other one the car revs badly then stall. And when i pass the 5500RPM the rpm goes crazy and read crazy values...

I'm gonna change the alternator and the battery tomorrow to see if it improves...
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Looks like it's the same "missing some of the real teeth" issue. Unfortunately, I don't have any common tips for how to deal with an LM1815 - this one is going to be tough to troubleshoot without an oscilloscope.