Toyota MR2 AW11 1985 - 4A-GE 20V Blacktop

General talk about successes. See older information on MSRUNS forum.
Frank_4age
MS/Extra Newbie

Toyota MR2 AW11 1985 - 4A-GE 20V Blacktop

Post by Frank_4age »

Hey guys,

Can’t believe I can finally write in this section of the forum…although it certainly needs more tuning, I think I can call my project a success story so far.
So an overview of the setup:
Toyota MR2 AW11 1985
4A-GE 20V Blacktop swap
MS3 + MS3X
ITB mode tuning
Complete original 4A-GE 20V Blacktop with stock ignition/dizzy(24/1 on camshaft)/injectors/airbox
Idle controlled by the ISC valve
VVT ON @4000rpm/65%load OFF@7000rpm
Knock sensing module
NGK Powerdex AFX WB02 sensor
Real time clock module

Problems solved so far:

Noisy signal from dizzy sync loss 11 and 17
Solved :
1) By adjusting trigger pot R11 on MS3X board…RTFM…my bad…
2) Cutting out one of the camshaft VR sensors. Noise on primary signal was lowered to 200mV @ 1500rpm (instead of 800mV). I was also able to determine which sensor is G1 and G2.
3) Signal can also made stronger by narrowing the gap between tooth and VR sensor by loosing the two bolts and push the metal plate a little (see picture. Do at your own risk!!)

Engine cut out @ 6000rpm, no error message. After doing a long diagnose session with a digital oscilloscope it appeared my noise filter in TunerStudio was set a little to aggressive and it deleted the complete camshaft signal @ 6000rpm. RTFM again….

ITB load curves settings. Setting up the ITB Load TPS switchpoints curve was pretty easy to do as described by making a log at different rpms and plot everything in Excel.
The curve I struggled most is the ITB Load at TPS switchpoints. The problem was you have to do set it by “feeling” what ‘s best setting…I found it almost impossible to do on the road, but by playing with the curve during my first dyno session completely transformed the engine behaviour in a very positive way!;-)
I tuned it now around 50 -70% load and till 6000rpm in order to be able to gently brake the engine in.
The ignition map is very conservative for the moment, I made a blend of the different maps I could find on the forum.
After driving +/- 2000km, I’ll replace the oil+filter and do another tuning session on the dyno under more load and a little higher rpm and sharpen the ignition map a little.
This winter I’ll install new goodies:
COP’s from a 1NZFE engine
CKP sensor with trigger wheel from Raw Striker

If you want more info you can email me: domsfrankATgmail.com
Cheers,
Frank