2Litre Zetec in Rover 2000 (P6)

General talk about successes. See older information on MSRUNS forum.
Michael
Helpful MS/Extra'er

2Litre Zetec in Rover 2000 (P6)

Post by Michael »

I have to say that I am absolutely amazed, speechless and eternally grateful to all the gurus who have brought us Megasquirt!
Having got that out of the way: I completed assembly of my Megasquirt 1 v3, thoroughly bench tested, read all the forums, guides, and other info. Fitted it to the car, and it worked! started first time as though it had been there all the time. I adjusted the VE table in the area of the idle just to smooth it out a bit. Checked over everything else, but couldn't see anything worth changing, so went for a drive and the transformation is wonderful.

My engine is a pretty much standard 2litre Zetec silvertop from a 1995 Mondeo. I've fitted it to my 1973 Rover 2000 (P6). Its been a very successful and worthwhile conversion which was done following some bad experiences after unleaded fuel was forced upon us all. Since 1997 it has run on the standard Ford EECIV ecu which wasn't too bad, but because I removed all the EGR and Pulse air systems, it keeps throwing up fault codes related to these things. Its also developed a flat spot at 1800-2000rpm which is almost certainly a sensor grounding issue within the EECIV, it had a burned out track which I fixed, but now something else has failed in it. I also felt that the car could have been more economical. I seriously considered DIYEFI, but last April bought the MS1 V3 kit. I assembled the kit and then designed and built my own simulator, not trying to be cheap or casting any aspersions on JimStim, but I wanted some extra features. I'll publish details of this later after I've ironed out a minor glitch that has just shown up.

Before fitting to the car, during bench testing, I loaded the Zetec_NB MSQ from DIYAutotune, set it up for the Ford MAT and ECT sensors. The ignition and injector settings were correct from the Zetec-NB msq. I did the Req_Fuel calc which came up with 17.6 and an injection time of 8.8ms. Once started I tinkered with the VE table around the idle settings just to smooth it out a bit and got it idling at about 800rpm at 27-30KPa. I changed a few other things such at ignition timing and changed them back again just to prove I could.

I couldn't find anything that I could see would benefit from changing so took it for a drive and marvelled at the smoothness and power delivery. After the first drive I then initialised Tune Analyze Live in TunerStudio, took another drive around the neighbourhood during which further improvements were made.

This was a warm start as I had already been out in the car a couple of hours earlier, so it will be interesting to see how it starts from cold in the morning.

The other thing of note is that this is a dual fuel Petrol/LPG car. I'm aware of the possibility of having a second fuel table in MS for LPG, but for the moment I'm retaining the LPG ecu. When I switch to LPG it now runs a bit roughly compared to before when the EECIV was charge. Tomorrow I set about retuning the LPG ECU to follow more closely the MS.

Saying I'm pleased is such an understatement - Best wishes to all - Michael