Dodge Dakota with 5.9 Magnum

General talk about successes. See older information on MSRUNS forum.
dakotaprerunner
MS/Extra Newbie

Dodge Dakota with 5.9 Magnum

Post by dakotaprerunner »

Hello Everyone,

Last week I got my 2003 Dodge Dakota 4x4 running for the first time in two years. During that time I built a new 5.9 Magnum to replace the tired 3.9 that the truck had when I bought it.

Engine specs:

5.9 Liter V8
9.9:1 compression, 0.038 quench
Hughes HER0814ALN-10 cam
Mopar M1 intake
52 mm Throttle body from HiPoTek
JBA headers
Factory injectors (need to be replaced ASAP)

I am using MS3X running full sequential fuel and ignition with D585 coils.

I have the truck running ok but need to work on the WUE and Timing table. I also need to replace the factory injectors that I measured at 242 cc/min with something larger as I have seen 100% injector duty cycle often while driving. The attached .msq probably needs more fuel and timing in the acceleration and WOT portions of the map. I'm not sure about cruise but it seems to run fine and I have not heard any signs of detonation. I will pull the plugs this week now that I have 200 miles on the engine.
91DakBuilder
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Dodge Dakota with 5.9 Magnum

Post by 91DakBuilder »

Congratulations on getting your truck running on MS3. I've been in the process of converting my 3.9 V6 to MS3 controlled as well. I'm curious to know, when you say you are using D585 coils, are you saying you are running a Coil on Plug (COP) scenario? I'm interested in learning more, as I'm toying with individual coils on my conversion as well. I've got LS style coils for this, as well as chrysler coils. I look forward to hearing more about your setup and congratulations again.
dakotaprerunner
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Dodge Dakota with 5.9 Magnum

Post by dakotaprerunner »

Yes I have 8 logic coils so coil on/near plug. Works real well. I went with the Chevy coils because there is a lot of good documentation on how to set them up. The truck has been running well and gets about 10 mpg in the city but I can lean it out pretty far on the freeway and have seen about18 mpg. The single biggest improvement in the way the engine runs came when I finally got the idle air control working and dialed in. Good luck with your build. It's nice to see Mopars with megasquirt.