1968 Pontiac Tempest Wagon

General talk about successes. See older information on MSRUNS forum.
krisr
Master MS/Extra'er

1968 Pontiac Tempest Wagon

Post by krisr »

So i've just scored a win by converting my Dads wagon over to the Megasquirt dark side of the force.

The short of it, it's a 350SBC, mid 80's crappy smog cylinder heads with small ports and mild chambers (~9:1).

Most of the injection was either donated to me or was a spare from my car(s). Intake is a Procomp single plane, throttle body is a Procomp, injectors are 24lb/hr from an LS1, LS1 plastic air temp sensor in the air cleaner, Ford 5-0 TPS, tuning with a TechEdge wideband but will be replacing it with a narrowband sensor from a VZ Holden Commodore for daily closed loop duties, VX Holden Commodore IAC.

Is running stock distributor with a breakerless conversion and +12V pullup to output a perfect square wave. In case VB921 to drive an MSD coil, running alternating injection with 4 squirts. I added more ground wires to the DB37 so each sensor has a dedicated ground and twisted the pair (or all 3 when talking TPS) right the way from the DB37 to the sensor. The car has absolutely ZERO noise on any sensor and I can run accel enrichment TPSdot @ about 14%/s so throttle response is very sharp.

IMO, I think all harnesses should be setup like this but it may increase manufacturing costs slightly, but it's worth it to remove ANY sign of noise. I did the exact same mod to my MS3X'd car and sensor grounds are crystal clean.

Test fitting everything

Grinding, grinding...

Test fitting again

Out on the road!
Sydney, Australia
1971 Holden Monaro HQ
MS3X Sequentially fuelled 400 Pontiac
atomic6
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: 1968 Pontiac Tempest Wagon

Post by atomic6 »

Absolutely, awesome.

Looks great, it threw me for a loop, seeing the brakes on the wrong side, till I seen where you are from.

I totally agree on the twisting of the wires.

It is too bad it doesn't have a poncho engine in it tho.

A nice 400 RA iv, or an SD 455, that would crazy, all fuel injected, in a wagon.

8)
1986 G.N. (sold)
1967 Nova II wagon (sold)
ex-MSer
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 1968 Pontiac Tempest Wagon

Post by elutionsdesign »

Way cool!
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!