1974 Ford Capri 2.0 turbo

General talk about successes. See older information on MSRUNS forum.
therealpinto
Helpful MS/Extra'er

1974 Ford Capri 2.0 turbo

Post by therealpinto »

This car has a rather long story, I bought it in 1997, built a junkyard turbo setup for 1999 (running K-jetronic from a Saab 99 turbo), then swapped to EEC-IV (Ford Sierra) around 2001 and went Megasquirt in 2004. I first ran the old Megasquirt&EDIS code or what it was called, and later went on to MS extra (using EDIS).

Around 2006-2007 I built a new engine with YB Cosworth rods and pistons (still Pinto block, head and crank), and a Holset HX35 turbo. I also added launch control and flatshift, and in 2009 it did a 11.99s / 180 km/h 1/4-mile pass. That was on around 1.4 bar of boost.

Then in October 2009 I started a body restoration, along with fitting a X-pack arch kit. Turned out pretty nice...but it took me 5 years!

It still ran on the old V2.2-based MS, but during the season I started to get some random misfires where the rpm would spike. I checked all earths but could not get rid of the issue. So in 2015 I started the migration to MS3 with MS3X. The plan was to go to sequential injection but keep the waste fire ignition. Since the swap was made in the middle of the season I kept the old wiring so no sequential injection yet. I'm using a Quadspark module to fire the EDIS coil, and I trigger from the same 36-1 trigger wheel (YB Cosworth aftermarket) using the YB crank sensor (since I now have a YB oil pan with mount for the VR sensor).

I have only made a few short test runs but all seems to work really nice. The VE Analyze autotune means it's pretty easy to get a decent tune going.

When I first went MS in 2004 I said it was the single best thing I have ever done to the car. Now the body work competes a bit with that but still I like my MS :-)

Gustaf
MS&EDIS/MS-extra
john.p.clegg
Running MSx/Extra

Re: 1974 Ford Capri 2.0 turbo

Post by john.p.clegg »

Nice one Gustaf

John
Blades Rally Team
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Blades Rally Team »

Hay Gustaf

I am still trying to get my Cosworth Rally car to run on MS3 + MS3X but after 4 years still no go so have kept my P8 ECU but would love to move over to MS with all the developments

Could you send me a base map to look at?

Thanks

Kevin
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Really nice Gustaf, I've always liked the Capri.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!