2001 Forester EZ30

General talk about successes. See older information on MSRUNS forum.
gearhead
MS/Extra Newbie

2001 Forester EZ30

Post by gearhead »

I can finally call my swap a success. I had tested the MS3 in the donor car before, but I finally have it settled in its new home. For now.
Here's a short video that goes through it.
https://youtu.be/DwVfR3DznIs

Anyone out there wondering if you build a solid stand alone ECU for the EZ30 or other Subaru H6 motors, it can be done.

The work is long from done though. When I bought the donor motor it was believed to have a blown head gasket and I have now confirmed it. I didn't want to invest any money in it till I knew I could make it run. The good news is that it runs well and I'm really impressed with ECU and software now that I'm familiar with it. The next steps will be a low compression rebuild, turbo and suspension work.

I have to say thanks to everyone that has helped develop Megasquirt and Tunerstudio and anyone that has asked/answered questions on this forum.
bigblkblazin
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: 2001 Forester EZ30

Post by bigblkblazin »

Thanks for posting your success with the H6. I have a ez30D on the stand and a 1997 impreza in the wing to put it in .

I am sure I am on the right track here. Very reassuring to know that it works on the subaru engine.

Would I be able to use you as a contact if I get into any trouble ?
curry.style
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: 2001 Forester EZ30

Post by curry.style »

I'm in the process of doing this same swap on my 96 Outback right now. I've been looking through some of the other EZ30D threads and questions and noticed you were having issues getting the cam sensor to sync on yours. I take it you were able to get that ironed out? I'm currently working on the harness and need to properly ID what style the cam sensor is. At least I have confirmation that it will work though.