TFI TBI and an old Econoline

General talk about successes. See older information on MSRUNS forum.
Jamesl
Experienced MS/Extra'er

TFI TBI and an old Econoline

Post by Jamesl »

I got my 1965 Econoline pickup running recently using a Ford TFI ignition system providing the RPM signal for a older DIY PNP v1.1 board and ms2extra-release-3.4.2. On this project I'm 'squirting the original '65 Ford 240ci straight six. I'm using a Chevy TBI (throttle body injection) on a custom log manifold. The TFI distributor and ignition module are from an early '90s F150 300 ci six. The TFI distributor was a drop-in for the old 240, with no mods required. The two-barrel TBI unit is from a early 90s 5.0 Chevrolet.

I got a good RPM signal running PIP through the Opto+ input with a 1k ohm, 12v pullup and a stable Spout signal by running it out of Wled (Spark A output pin), also with a 1k ohm,12v pullup. I set Spark Output to "Going Low." I'm using the gray Push Start TFI module, and I set Dwell to Fixed Duty, 50%. Spark mode is Basic Trigger and all other settings were pretty standard. Tach looks stable so far and timing advance is responding with RPM, so I know that MS is controlling the ignition.

The v1.1 DIY PNP is based around a Microsquirt from a few years back. I'm not sure how that system differs from the newer Megasquirt or Microsquirt boards, and have no real idea if the settings that work for me would work for the newer systems.

The throttle body injection system was pretty simple to implement -- except for the Idle air Control valve. I have not got it to work. Still, the truck runs fine without it so far. Of course, the Econoline doesn't have AC or any other high-demand electrical systems that would drag down idle. The TBI has low-z injectors. I burned out the first set and am now running power through 8 ohm resistors (1 each) and treating them as high-z.

Here's a shot of some of the wiring for the system mounted to the driver-side wall of the Econoline engine box:

Short video of it running: https://youtu.be/vY1MaDr_gwk
2017-03-07_16.33.36.msq
JamesL
Last edited by Jamesl on Sun May 07, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"87 Mr2
'96 Rav4
'65 Econoline Pickup
'75 Super Beetle
All Turbo, all the time
Why? Because I can... :D
Jamesl
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: TFI TBI and an old Econoline

Post by Jamesl »

System diagram for this setup.
TFI TBI MS diagram.jpg
Last edited by Jamesl on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"87 Mr2
'96 Rav4
'65 Econoline Pickup
'75 Super Beetle
All Turbo, all the time
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Good engines the old ford sixes. This is my sons in a mid 80's falcon ute. It's the second last generation 1999 4.0 ohc. Megasquirted of course.
2016-10-26 21.01.58 - Copy.jpg
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
Jamesl
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Jamesl »

That's one beautiful engine! I don't supposed you would box it up and ship it over? :D

Sadly, Ford never offered the cross-flow straight sixes in the US.
"87 Mr2
'96 Rav4
'65 Econoline Pickup
'75 Super Beetle
All Turbo, all the time
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

We also have a 2002 ute with the tickford VCT version of that engine. They run quite well. My older brother has the last of the Turbo Barra 6's in his FPV F6 ute. Few minor add ons and a dyno tune had it at 350rwkw.
Cheers Luke
rocklord
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by rocklord »

slow_hemi6 wrote:Good engines the old ford sixes. This is my sons in a mid 80's falcon ute. It's the second last generation 1999 4.0 ohc. Megasquirted of course.
What Megasquirt version is he using? Could you post the msq file for the 4.0 ohc.

I have a 4.0 Intech from an AU model that I want to Megasquirt. I didn't get the original ECU with the engine, and getting everything to run the stock setup is a PINTA.

Thanks in advance.
Dan

1961 Corvair Lakewood
1964 Corvair 500, 140HP, 4spd
1965 Mustang, 200cid, 3spd
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

It's a work in progress, I will send you a PM Dan.
Cheers Luke