User Feedback/usability suggestions request

Questions specific to Megatunix - alternate tuning software that runs on unix and windows.
Note that Megatunix is obsolete.

Moderator: djandruczyk

djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Re: User Feedback/usability suggestions request

Post by djandruczyk »

Quan-Time wrote:1: ability for gauge needle to sweep in reverse (anti clockwise)
Good idea, should be relatively easy to implement
Quan-Time wrote: 2: be able to use .jpg / .gif / .bmp as gauge background colour / image.
Also a worthy idea, but FAR FAR more difficult, as those image formats are NOT scalable, and megatunix gauges are. (they are essentially a stripped down form of SVG). using other images (non scalable formats), will lead to distortion and other issues. Not saying that it's impossible, but it opens a can of worms. Also the current gauge definition format has no way to handle outside files (BG images) yet, so that would require a major API break.
Quan-Time wrote: 3: probably not possible, but variable sweep. If you look closely at many factory speedo gauges, you will notice that 0-40km/h is fairly big compared to 160-200km/h. I want 0-5000rpm to be fairly bunched up / close, but 5000-12,000rpm to be alot bigger. Think motorbike tacho. Most dont even let the clutch our lower than 4000rpm.
This isn't possible yet, as the gauges are linear scale only, and in the cases you describe above the scale can't be described by a linear mathematical function, it's essentially two different scales with a transition point. A potential workaround is to design your gauge ONLY for the scales of interest, i.e. in the case of the dirtbike, create a tach from 4000, 12000 rpm, as below 4K isn't really useful. Another alternative, although trickier, is to define a lookuptable and derived datasource to convert to the multiple scales and use a linear gauge with custom tick groups to make it LOOK nonlinear and you'd get the effect you want. You can create multiple tick groups to basically draw a NONlinear scale on the gauge and still have it display correctly by using the lookuptable to do the "math".
Quan-Time wrote: 4: is it possible to add gradient / shadow or something to the needle to give it more 3d look ?
No it isn't, and it would greatly increase the complexity of the rendering engine, in that case it would be better to go all out with OpenGL, which is beyond my skillset. as shadows imply lighting, and then you have to think about where the lighting comes from, etc..
Quan-Time wrote: 5: linked gauge warnings. Example would be a shift light. Set a alert to say, 7000rpm as you shift point. Instead of having a ring flash on the gauge, be able to offset it on X and Y so it sets up and to the right, like an autometer gauge. But have the warning in its own little guage housing.
The original tacho, can you program it so when the alert will go off, instead of choosing a colour, you choose a value, say "SHIFT". On a whole new gauge you set a warning on there, instead of saying "alert at 7000rpm" you can choose "alert at "SHIFT" ". Id then have a seperate shift light gauge :)
Thats a good idea, and I was working on a similar idea, called "GaugeIndicator", which is basically a fancy name for "idiot light", These were going to be SVG images, basically TWO images, one for "on state", one for "off state", and the gaugedesigner would place it like any other gauge onto the dash, and let you set thresholds and hysteresis for them (to prevent flicker), so they'd work like your idea. I have NOT actually coded this yet. Time has been short, esp since a recent move.
Quan-Time wrote: Other than that, im quite happy with everything. Someone already commented about gauge overlap, ill try the edit trick and see if it works.
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

Gauge rotation in CCW direction is now completed in CVS. It's a toggle checkbutton in the designer. NOTE: there may be bugs in htat code for the moment, as CCW rotation stuff isn't fully tested, its likely that the tickmarks and other parts may be a little screwed up.

EDIT. bugs fixed in CVS. When flipping from CW to CCW, the tickmarks and warning ranges will flip as well, polygons and text blocks will NOT, for (hopefully) obvious reasons...
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Quan-Time
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Quan-Time »

wow, quick turn around.. im impressed. Ill try it out i a few days when i get the chance.

I understand that most of my requests would be fairly hard to impliment. Not hard, but they are all "vanity" requests rather than functionality. And i also understand you wont put the time into a whole rewrite for such things, which i think is good actually. I dont have any real problems with the functionalty of megatunix, i think its really well done.
But i will comment again on BG image. What image could be scaled, if at all. If none, couldnt it be done manually by the end user ? Say i attampt to put an image in, the Mopar pentagon as an example. If it was too big, i would manually resize it in an editor and try again. Same if it was too small. You could put conditions saying "image MUST be square" or no more than 500kb / 400x400 / whatever. Im mainly after a carbon fibre "skin" for it. Id be willing to experiment with it, but as you have said, you want functionality sorted, which i agree with.

Can linear / inclined gauges be made ? think a EQ scale.. lowest point is a user selectable colour (say green) and max could the same (choose red or something). Be able to make the bar horizontal or vertical, climb from left to right / right to left. selectable width / height.. Yes its a vanity thing, but does open up many options (for me anyway). Id LOVE for that to then be "curvable" like a smiley face.. and then put it around a gauge.. would be awesome.. But im fairly sure thats a fair but of work. Id be surprised if you didnt have to rewrite a whole new gauge builder.. which would suck.

anyway, keep up the good work.
join the (non official) Megasquirt IRC chat channel
##megasquirt @ irc.freenode.net
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=% ... irt&uio=d4 - click here to join live via java web-client, its instant !
http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?f=92 ... de#p204682
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

Quan-Time wrote:wow, quick turn around.. im impressed. Ill try it out i a few days when i get the chance.

I understand that most of my requests would be fairly hard to impliment. Not hard, but they are all "vanity" requests rather than functionality. And i also understand you wont put the time into a whole rewrite for such things, which i think is good actually. I dont have any real problems with the functionalty of megatunix, i think its really well done.
But i will comment again on BG image. What image could be scaled, if at all. If none, couldnt it be done manually by the end user ? Say i attampt to put an image in, the Mopar pentagon as an example. If it was too big, i would manually resize it in an editor and try again. Same if it was too small. You could put conditions saying "image MUST be square" or no more than 500kb / 400x400 / whatever. Im mainly after a carbon fibre "skin" for it. Id be willing to experiment with it, but as you have said, you want functionality sorted, which i agree with.
The problem and I think many people don't realize it is the gauges are scalable to any resolution. Ifyou click on the dash, four little resize corners will appear for about 5 seconds before hiding again, allowing you to grab and drag the corner to resize the dash. you can also RIGHT-click on the dash to go fullscreen. If using jpgs/gifs or other raster graphics, they only look ideal at their NATIVE resolution, as soon as they go away from that point blurring and interpolation errors result in some nasty ugliness, (jaggies and/or blurring). An alternative is to use an SVG file (scalable vector graphic), which can be created some some freely available tools, like inkscape. SVG's look good at ANY resolution, because by nature they are vector based, vs raster based (which doesn't scale cleanly). I'll look into it at some point, but for now I'd like to concentrate on getting more ms-2 support stuff done. (which is drudgework, but needs to be done)
Quan-Time wrote: Can linear / inclined gauges be made ? think a EQ scale.. lowest point is a user selectable colour (say green) and max could the same (choose red or something). Be able to make the bar horizontal or vertical, climb from left to right / right to left. selectable width / height.. Yes its a vanity thing, but does open up many options (for me anyway). Id LOVE for that to then be "curvable" like a smiley face.. and then put it around a gauge.. would be awesome.. But im fairly sure thats a fair but of work. Id be surprised if you didnt have to rewrite a whole new gauge builder.. which would suck.

anyway, keep up the good work.
No linear bargraph gauges (yet), but it is a good idea. I have many things I'd like to do to the dash, but time is never on my side. :?
David J. Andruczyk
Quan-Time
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Quan-Time »

Ok, this is my dash as it loads. No, i havn't finish the gauges off totally yet, but you get the idea.

Is it possible to make the ECU / Runtime variables little windows to NOT load ? i cant even close them manually. Also, is it possible to NOT load the main window, so only the dash part loads ? or at least so its minimised and not seen ?
It also seems to not load full screen, it is always in window'd mode. When its loaded, it goes off my taskbar and i have to manually fullscreen it to get access to the Destinator button. VERY annoying.

I only want 2 programs loaded on my taskbar. Destinator (GPS software) and Megatunix. Main reason being is its on a 7" LCD touch screen (800x600), as the dash of my motorbike. Yup, ive put it on a bike. I want easy access via touch screen to either GPS or my dash.
Im still playing with "litestep" as a taskbar thing, so please ignore the ugly theme.

Is this possible to do ?

For the record i use MS2V3 2.02 firmware, it pics up everything so far perfectly.. (But i tune thru megatune obviously)
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=% ... irt&uio=d4 - click here to join live via java web-client, its instant !
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

Quan-Time wrote:Image

Ok, this is my dash as it loads. No, i havn't finish the gauges off totally yet, but you get the idea.

Is it possible to make the ECU / Runtime variables little windows to NOT load ? i cant even close them manually. Also, is it possible to NOT load the main window, so only the dash part loads ? or at least so its minimised and not seen ?
It also seems to not load full screen, it is always in window'd mode. When its loaded, it goes off my taskbar and i have to manually fullscreen it to get access to the Destinator button. VERY annoying.

I only want 2 programs loaded on my taskbar. Destinator (GPS software) and Megatunix. Main reason being is its on a 7" LCD touch screen (800x600), as the dash of my motorbike. Yup, ive put it on a bike. I want easy access via touch screen to either GPS or my dash.
Im still playing with "litestep" as a taskbar thing, so please ignore the ugly theme.

Is this possible to do ?

For the record i use MS2V3 2.02 firmware, it pics up everything so far perfectly.. (But i tune thru megatune obviously)
Easy to stop the runtime text/status windows. Add "-r -s" to the CLI args for megatunix, if you want dash only, use "-r -s -m", for no prompts on close use "-r -s -m -q" (-r, no runtime, -s, no status, -m, no main gui, -q, quiet mode, no prompts for I/O errors or prompts to save on close) . In the case of windows you'd need to edit the shortcut.

use "megatunix --help" from a terminal or DOS prompt to see all the CLI options.

I'll add a fullscreen only CLI arg for the next release, so you can use it in "dash only" mode.
David J. Andruczyk
Quan-Time
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Quan-Time »

cheers heaps, your a champ !!

when its finished and running pretty, ill make a quit vid and post it somewhere for you to see, for promo or something. I get a fair few comments about it in convo when it pops up, and many questions from the few people that have seen it.
Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

Re:

Post by Philip Lochner »

UnaClocker wrote:they aren't overlapping properly because of the order the gauges are loaded out of the XML file. Need a way to set the layering priority or something.
I had the problem and found that when you design the dash, you have to add the gauges that are to be on top of others after the ones they are to be on top of.
Kind regards
Philip
'74 Jensen Interceptor 440ci (EFI'ed with MS2 and wasted spark + GM 4L60e GPIO controlled - both on Extra FW)
mazdarx7j
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mazdarx7j »

Is there a way to increase the rpm bins for rotary trailing and all of the others for that matter? There just aren't enough bins available. I need at least 8 and would like to see ten. I know that sounds like a lot, but I kind of need those.

I am using Megatunix version 0.9.19-beta 1.

Thanks!
mazdarx7j
Mazda Enthusiast
Linux User (Ubuntu)
MegaTunix Loaded and Ready!
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

mazdarx7j wrote:Is there a way to increase the rpm bins for rotary trailing and all of the others for that matter? There just aren't enough bins available. I need at least 8 and would like to see ten. I know that sounds like a lot, but I kind of need those.

I am using Megatunix version 0.9.19-beta 1.

Thanks!
That is a firmware restriction. Many people assume that the bins are NOT adjustable, which is untrue. the ECU interpolates between bins, so if you slope of your curve is LINEAR you only need two bins to define that range, it is wasteful to use additional bins if the yare not needed for the curve. (this is one of the reasons why the original MS with 8x8 bins worked remarkably well, vs commercial systems that used 16, 24 or 32 bins, but with FIXED rpm values (not adjustable rpm points).

If you trailing advance is linear from lets say 1000 to 5000 rpm, you only need two bins to define that range, then additional ones as needed, the RPM/LOAD values can be arbritrary, they do NOT need to be equidistantly spaced.
David J. Andruczyk
mazdarx7j
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mazdarx7j »

What if the timing is NOT linear? What if I need a rapid curve that slopes off or the other way.

Also, I may want to run reverse timing split at idle. Which means that the trailing becomes the lead and the lead the trailing at idle. Afterward, [just off idle] it would reverse to normal.

This is one way the RX-8 Renesis motor is able to get ULEV status. It works on the older rotaries as well and helps us to pass emissions testing.

Thanks in advance,

Mazdarx7j
mazdarx7j
Mazda Enthusiast
Linux User (Ubuntu)
MegaTunix Loaded and Ready!
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

mazdarx7j wrote:What if the timing is NOT linear? What if I need a rapid curve that slopes off or the other way.

Also, I may want to run reverse timing split at idle. Which means that the trailing becomes the lead and the lead the trailing at idle. Afterward, [just off idle] it would reverse to normal.

This is one way the RX-8 Renesis motor is able to get ULEV status. It works on the older rotaries as well and helps us to pass emissions testing.

Thanks in advance,

Mazdarx7j

All curves have sections that can be linearized, even the most whacky of maps. Try to draw a picture of your planned timing curve vs map/rpm of what you want on paper and it should become more clear. Anyways, the current table size is a FIRMWARE limitation not a megatunix limitation.
David J. Andruczyk
phoenix3d
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by phoenix3d »

Hi David...

A list of some really cool additions if possible...

These would make a tuners life A Hell of a lot Simpler...

1.) On Screen "Up", "Down" Value Buttons for Course and Fine (In 3D Window - For touch screen)
2.) "Range Up" Tuning changes Affect All Values Up ^ & > (RPM & MAP/TPS) to the same value as what you are currently setting in effect copying the current value to all cells Above and to the Right of where you currently are.... If you get my idea.
3.) Drag and select multiple values in VE table (Numeric) and Either ADD, SUBTRACT, SCALE, USer defined.
4.) VE TABLE GENERATOR, THIS IS A BIG ONE if possible.
5.) BAR Graph displays for DASH BOARDS (Straight and Curved if Possible)
6.) AUTOTUNE!!!!!!! Yes Please!!!
7.) Please Please disable using "-" to change values as this continually gets in the way when wanting to type -10 for fixed angle (or suggestions?)
8.) This is for the Non-Megasquirt guys out there..... Under the ECU Revision Interrogation report please remove reference to Megasquirt and relace if possible with "ECU" or other non descript naming Please..... (No offence to Megasquirt or its Developers/users)
9.) Any development with the automatic Day/Night Dash Switching?

Otherwise ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!!!

Thanks again for your Development David......

Andrew.
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

phoenix3d wrote:Hi David...

A list of some really cool additions if possible...

These would make a tuners life A Hell of a lot Simpler...

1.) On Screen "Up", "Down" Value Buttons for Course and Fine (In 3D Window - For touch screen)
Good Idea
2.) "Range Up" Tuning changes Affect All Values Up ^ & > (RPM & MAP/TPS) to the same value as what you are currently setting in effect copying the current value to all cells Above and to the Right of where you currently are.... If you get my idea.
I'm not sure where i see the value in this. In the 3D view you can hold down combinations of the alt/ctrl and use +/=/Pgup/PgDn to raise/lower full rows/columns.
3.) Drag and select multiple values in VE table (Numeric) and Either ADD, SUBTRACT, SCALE, USer defined.
In the 2D(textual) view Click drag isn't supported, but Shift click is, click a cell hold down chift and click more cells, and the rescale box will ungrey allowing you to add/subtract/multiply and divide values by any factor.
4.) VE TABLE GENERATOR, THIS IS A BIG ONE if possible.
Point me to a viable algorithm and I'll do it.
5.) BAR Graph displays for DASH BOARDS (Straight and Curved if Possible)
Is on my list of things to do
6.) AUTOTUNE!!!!!!! Yes Please!!!
algorithm/methodology please
7.) Please Please disable using "-" to change values as this continually gets in the way when wanting to type -10 for fixed angle (or suggestions?)
The behavior of this has improved in recent devel versions (hopefully), +/- q/w and pgup/pgdn should all work properly now. Mtx should understand controls that go negative and not eat the minus sign any longer.
8.) This is for the Non-Megasquirt guys out there..... Under the ECU Revision Interrogation report please remove reference to Megasquirt and relace if possible with "ECU" or other non descript naming Please..... (No offence to Megasquirt or its Developers/users)
This is in progress, since mtx now supports more than just strictly megasquirt hardware.
9.) Any development with the automatic Day/Night Dash Switching?
Day/Nite is available but only for the main dash (not the gauges on tabs yet). I haven't yet integrated a clock based flip, or a user selectable flip fo the main gui (you can do it in the dash via a right click context menu)

Otherwise ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!!!

Thanks again for your Development David......

Andrew.
Thanks!
David J. Andruczyk
phoenix3d
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by phoenix3d »

Hi David....

Thank You so very much For your Reply!!! :D

Cool to know about the Ctrl/Alt & -/+/PgUp/PgDown setup.... That really Helps!!! :D :D

PS. I Like the ability to adjust RPM & MAP Bin from within the 3D View using the Ctrl & -/+...

Other Than that .. REALLY COOL!!! for the lack of a better phrase..;-)

as for the VE Table Generator, I found that the one that MT uses to be sufficient... Use it for a starting point anyway No need for Megawatt Horsepower and stuff.. I dunno my 5cents.

and as for the Autotune..... Same as above for me.... Maybe I'm just super easy to please... Dunno..

Will be in touch with some more suggestions later..

Thank You Very much.

Andrew
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

phoenix3d wrote:Hi David....

Thank You so very much For your Reply!!! :D

Cool to know about the Ctrl/Alt & -/+/PgUp/PgDown setup.... That really Helps!!! :D :D

PS. I Like the ability to adjust RPM & MAP Bin from within the 3D View using the Ctrl & -/+...

Other Than that .. REALLY COOL!!! for the lack of a better phrase..;-)

as for the VE Table Generator, I found that the one that MT uses to be sufficient... Use it for a starting point anyway No need for Megawatt Horsepower and stuff.. I dunno my 5cents.

and as for the Autotune..... Same as above for me.... Maybe I'm just super easy to please... Dunno..

Will be in touch with some more suggestions later..

Thank You Very much.

Andrew
If you're on a linux or OS-X machine, It would help me if you pulled from the latest git master and built/installed and let me know how it works, it has several improvements which should alter the perception of how Megatunix runs...
David J. Andruczyk
Calorus
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Calorus »

Amazing piece of software!

I've just installed the .deb, but can't see an option for M3X... Is this available?

(I currently have no Megasquirt knowledge so please pardon any ignorance on my part)
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

Calorus wrote:Amazing piece of software!

I've just installed the .deb, but can't see an option for M3X... Is this available?

(I currently have no Megasquirt knowledge so please pardon any ignorance on my part)

MS3/MS3x isn't in there yet. It's on my very long TODO list..
David J. Andruczyk
Calorus
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Calorus »

Yeah, I've got one of those too!

I code a bit, so you should let me know if you want to show me the ropes with GIT! Might slow you down at first, but I'm not bad once I know what I'm doing!
m3ltd0wn
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by m3ltd0wn »

i've seen that MT has a basic ignition map generator, didn't tested it yet, but as i've searched on the forums i came across these spreadsheets for generating an estimative ignition map based on few variables.

is it possible to use the calculations from those spreadsheets and make a more advanced ignition map estimator ?