Noob Question...

Questions specific to Megatunix - alternate tuning software that runs on unix and windows.
Note that Megatunix is obsolete.

Moderator: djandruczyk

diegom6
Master MS/Extra'er

Noob Question...

Post by diegom6 »

Kinda confuse me what is exactly MegaTunix. I'm seeing it has different screen shape than MT. Also those gauge looks badass. But my main questions are:

I run Windows XP in my lap top, can be setup MegaTunix with out any trouble?

Also, why I would go with MEgaTunix over MT? It has more features? Wich is more friendly or versatile? (sp?)

MegaTunix has the same "power" or options as the latest version of MT?

Thnaks for help this noob :D

-Diego
BMW 325is Turbo E30 (m20b30) MS II Extra code X.X (13 or 14) Beta 3.0v board - 2.25MT
czb83
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by czb83 »

MegaTunix is another tuning program for Megasquirt. It currently has support for several variants of MS-1 code, including Extra and High-Res.

Its written in GTK+, a cross platform widget library, meaning that it can run on several platforms including Windows( I personally run it on Linux).

I personally find this software package more user friendly, and especially like it because I can run it in Linux, my main OS.

I has several unique features over MT, such as customizable gauges, and the ability to group several of them together to form a "dash". It also has a trigger, tooth graphical display, helping to debug trigger problems. It is being actively developed, so new features are possible. I think MegaTune hasn't been updated in a while.

It has some drawbacks, MLV currently uses MSQ files to load in VE tables and such. Until it has support for reading in VEX files(I think this is being worked on), its kind of annoying, as you much use MegaTune to retrieve a MSQ format backup.
diegom6
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by diegom6 »

THANKS FOR SHARE THE INFO :D

So, basically I can't use MLV with MegaTunix at the time?

I wonder if I can have both programs instaled in my laptop, of corse I have right now MT 2.25 but what I'm trying to know if I can have MegaTunix as well and when I hook up my lap top into my MS, could chose between MegaTunix or MT to tune it and not have any conflict or sort of??

What do you think?

Thanks

Diego
BMW 325is Turbo E30 (m20b30) MS II Extra code X.X (13 or 14) Beta 3.0v board - 2.25MT
czb83
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by czb83 »

You can use MLV for log viewing, but if you use the auto VE function of MLV, you need a MSQ file. If you don't mess with that, then there is nothing holding you back. If you want to use this feature, you will need to load up Megatune to capture a MSQ file for use in MLV.

You can have both programs installed(MT, MTX), I would imagine that you couldn't have them running at the same time.
diegom6
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by diegom6 »

czb83 wrote:You can use MLV for log viewing, but if you use the auto VE function of MLV, you need a MSQ file. If you don't mess with that, then there is nothing holding you back. If you want to use this feature, you will need to load up Megatune to capture a MSQ file for use in MLV.

You can have both programs installed(MT, MTX), I would imagine that you couldn't have them running at the same time.
Nice, I will give it a try, of corse I would have to selct one by one program while runing the MS. :)

I couldn't find much info about the minum requirements of the pc-lap top configuration or performance. COuld someone let me know what I would need to run MTX decent in my lap top?

Thanks

Diego
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Re: Noob Question...

Post by djandruczyk »

diegom6 wrote:Kinda confuse me what is exactly MegaTunix. I'm seeing it has different screen shape than MT. Also those gauge looks badass. But my main questions are:

I run Windows XP in my lap top, can be setup MegaTunix with out any trouble?

Also, why I would go with MEgaTunix over MT? It has more features? Wich is more friendly or versatile? (sp?)

MegaTunix has the same "power" or options as the latest version of MT?

Thnaks for help this noob :D

-Diego
It will run on WinXP as long as you follow the instructions in this thread:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080

It's an alternative to MT. MT supports MS-II, MegaTunix doesn't yet. MegaTunix has a completely different user interface than MT (some say better, other have no opinion) MegaTunix has much cooler looking gauges, that are user designable, and dashclusters (also user designable). (see the gaugedesigner and dashdesigner tools)

MegaTunix is more userfriendly in many areas (and less in others). For one, you just run it, it detects your ecu and adapts to it. MEgatune you need to use that confusing MTconfigurator tool, and fiddle with ini files and other such things which is tricky for a noob (and even experienced folk). I've been with the MS project since it's inception and megatune sitll confuses the hell out of me... Hence one of my motivations for making megatunix

megatunix also has some things MT doesn't, like the tooth/trigger monitoring tool (specific to MSnS-E firmware), and a built in datalog playback tool, as well as a live data viewer.
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

diegom6 wrote:
czb83 wrote:You can use MLV for log viewing, but if you use the auto VE function of MLV, you need a MSQ file. If you don't mess with that, then there is nothing holding you back. If you want to use this feature, you will need to load up Megatune to capture a MSQ file for use in MLV.

Nice, I will give it a try, of corse I would have to selct one by one program while runing the MS. :)

I couldn't find much info about the minum requirements of the pc-lap top configuration or performance. COuld someone let me know what I would need to run MTX decent in my lap top?

Thanks

Diego
Min requirement is PII 400-256 ram win98. IF AT ALL POSSIBLE use win2k or higher, as win9x requires an older versions of GTK+ which renders slower and makes the gauges look poor.

It may run on less but I don't have any old hardware to test it on.
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
diegom6
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by diegom6 »

Thnaks Davis, your work looks amazing even when I don't have it yet, but defenetly (sp?) I will use this over MT and as you said, I get confuse about copaying the ini file and such things still.

I will check for the prior release and see what happens. Thanks for the help and keep up the good work! :D

-Diego
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

diegom6 wrote:Thnaks David, your work looks amazing even when I don't have it yet, but defenetly (sp?) I will use this over MT and as you said, I get confuse about copaying the ini file and such things still.

I will check for the prior release and see what happens. Thanks for the help and keep up the good work! :D

-Diego
Also go and get 0.9.6 which I just released a couple hours ago to fix nasty bug that slipped into the 0.9.5 release.
David J. Andruczyk
diegom6
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by diegom6 »

djandruczyk wrote:
diegom6 wrote:Thnaks David, your work looks amazing even when I don't have it yet, but defenetly (sp?) I will use this over MT and as you said, I get confuse about copaying the ini file and such things still.

-Diego
Also go and get 0.9.6 which I just released a couple hours ago to fix nasty bug that slipped into the 0.9.5 release.
Gotcha, I just deleted the whole program and downloaded the 0.9.6. Thanks.

Now, my question is, what the heck I do here..?

I have the MS dissconected for now , so, what I have to do here?

I just checked for Celsius, Use Tip Tools, checked in the little box next to "Choose a Dashbord File" wich changed to "Choose a Dash File " only and when I click on it I'm not usre what pick up and do next?

Also, should I check all those boxes below "Choose a Dashbord" buttoms where says:

MegaTunix Debugging ( wich I'm not sure what it means).

and for last, in the MegaSquirt ECU Information part, What should I do there?

Thnaks for any tip. Quite lost here.

djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

diegom6 wrote:
djandruczyk wrote:

-Diego
Gotcha, I just deleted the whole program and downloaded the 0.9.6. Thanks.

Now, my question is, what the heck I do here..?

I have the MS dissconected for now , so, what I have to do here?

I just checked for Celsius, Use Tip Tools, checked in the little box next to "Choose a Dashbord File" wich changed to "Choose a Dash File " only and when I click on it I'm not usre what pick up and do next?

Also, should I check all those boxes below "Choose a Dashbord" buttoms where says:

MegaTunix Debugging ( wich I'm not sure what it means).

and for last, in the MegaSquirt ECU Information part, What should I do there?

Thnaks for any tip. Quite lost here.

Well you need an ECU. It's the same in megatune unless you want to use "offline mode" in which it'll load controls but everythign defaults to zero's.

the debugging is just that DeBUGGING, if you don't know what that means don't play with it.

Plug in your ECU and rerun megatunix and it should be a little more interesting....
Otherwise select "Offline mode" on that "General tab and pick a firmware..

The dashboards are ONLY available with a Live ECU (for quite obvious reasons)
David J. Andruczyk