DEPRECATED ... install MegaTunix on OS-X

Questions specific to Megatunix - alternate tuning software that runs on unix and windows.
Note that Megatunix is obsolete.

Moderator: djandruczyk

Did this work and was it easy to follow?

Yes and it was easy
56%
Yes, but it was a pain in the butt!
13%
No, I failed miserably and donno what to do
31%
I had my son/daughter do it for me
No votes

Total votes: 16

cscm094
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cscm094 »

Nope, I did that verbatim. Although, I think like 6 months ago, I tried compiling, and had the same error. Maybe that messed things up? Maybe I'll do a fresh OSX install and try again. Eh who knows. Thanks,

Chris
CODE4
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by CODE4 »

I wanted to say too, that this write up was extremely helpful. I bought a 17" MacBook Pro two weeks ago and was originally thinking of putting Windows XP on it for the purpose of running MegaTune.

The only thing I had an issue with editing the .profile so that I could type 'megatunix' directly without having to type /opt/local/bin/megatunix everytime. But it is not an issue.

My .profile has this:
export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH

What do I add to that?

Thanks. Again thumbs up on the how-to.
D. Tsang
SGT/USMC

1999 Eclipse - 2.4EDZ Squirtin & Boostin
MSII 3.0, 4 bar, seq, p&h. 406 whp/393wtq
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

This technique worked great for me on my Intel Mac Mini. Thanks. Hope we can get some MSII-Extra support soon.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
rs3pt3
MS/Extra Newbie

Megatunix with OSX10.3.9

Post by rs3pt3 »

Won't let me use the XCode 2.4 Will MegaTunix work with an earlier version?

Joe
Joe

Warner, NH
Subaru Impreza w/EG33
Squirt in Process
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Re: Megatunix with OSX10.3.9

Post by djandruczyk »

rs3pt3 wrote:Won't let me use the XCode 2.4 Will MegaTunix work with an earlier version?

Joe
I have no way of knowing, Xcode was a free download for me, once I created a FREE apple dev account.

AFAIK when i wrote the howto macports/darwinports's requirement was for Xcode 2.4.
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

It won't install for you.. Why? What version of OS X are you running? I can only imagine it won't install because you are running a very old version, like 10.2 or earlier..
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
thechuckster
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by thechuckster »

success re-nstalling first go.

already had Xcode after earlier install (at version 0.8.5) using Fink to get required libraries (also worked).

i copy/pasted the instructions from Dave's 1st post and it installed with no errors at all.

modded the applications menu to easy launch all the apps, plus cairo antialiasing works quite well despite the age of the CPU

G4 (733 mhz)
OSX 10.4.10
1G RAM
Xcode v2.3
X11 1.1.3 XFree86 4.4.0

I had installed X11 previously to run Open Office (NeoOffice was too slow to use productively).
RA40 + 18R + Turbo
MZ10 + 7MGE = track barge!
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

hehe, almost seems like there are more people running Megatunix on Mac OS X than on Linux.. ;)
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

UnaClocker wrote:hehe, almost seems like there are more people running Megatunix on Mac OS X than on Linux.. ;)
Perhaps, but the linux people will have an easier time of it than OS-X users, because most linux boxes come with most of the needed pre-reqs installed, and it's easier to get them if they don't have them (unlike OS-X which requires downloading Xcode (hefty 800+ megs), and getting macports/darwinports setup)

Usually it's only the ones who have issues who post to the forums, those who get it going with no issue, don't bother. According to sourceforge.net download stats, megatunix had about 3:1 downloads (450:150) in favor of windows over the source release (which covers linux and OS-X) for the past release with significant stats (0.9.12 in july).

I'd take a guess that the source release split between linux and OS-X is about 1-2:1 in favor of OS-X, only because OS-X has more market share than linux (depending on who you ask),

If you look at all the stats for all releases, it's about 3-4:1 for windows users to unix users.

megatune (windows only) prolly has 10-20x as many users or more, but it has been entrenched for a far longer period of time and many people don't even know about megatunix as the megamanuals don't barely make a mention of it.

Both are excellent peices of software, but come from very different design points. MegaTune has the advantage as a rapid prototyping environment making it easy for devs to get new firmware setup on it, but making the user UI a little cumbersome and confusing, esp to noobs. (how the hell does on use mtconfig anyways?). MegaTunix is developed with more focus for the end user, attempting to make it more intuitive and friendlier, at the expense of being more laborious for the developer (me) to support new firmwares. Megatunix has kickass photorealistic gauges, and tools to let users build more, megatune has configurable gauges, but well, they ain't as pretty. or intuitive. Megatune hassupport for firmwares that megatunix doesn't like MS2 and MS2 extra. So each software has it's place and BOTH are very valuable to the end user..

such is life.
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
stereophile33
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by stereophile33 »

I have a new Core 2 duo that I am having trouble getting to run this.

after I command

sudo port install gtkglext libglade2

I get teh following error.

anyone have any ideas as to where I need to back up and try differently?
Jonathan
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

stereophile33 wrote:I have a new Core 2 duo that I am having trouble getting to run this.

after I command

sudo port install gtkglext libglade2

I get teh following error.

anyone have any ideas as to where I need to back up and try differently?
Jonathan
Looks like it had a timeout downloading a package. retry.
u can also try "sudo port selfupdate" to get it to update itself and get the latests lists of packages.mirrors..
David J. Andruczyk
stereophile33
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by stereophile33 »

latest error from Xterm is:

kathryn-myers-computer:~ jonathan$ sudo port -vc upgrade installed
Password:
sudo: port: command not found
kathryn-myers-computer:~ jonathan$ /opt/local/bin/megatunix
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.6.dylib
Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/megatunix
Reason: Incompatible library version: megatunix requires version 6.1.0 or later, but libXt.6.dylib provides version 6.0.0
Trace/BPT trap
kathryn-myers-computer:~ jonathan$ sudo /opt/local/bin/megatunix
Password:
Reason: Incompatible library version: megatunix requires version 6.1.0 or later, but libXt.6.dylib provides version 6.0.0
Trace/BPT trap
kathryn-myers-computer:~ jonathan$ sudo /opt/local/bin/megatunix
stereophile33
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by stereophile33 »

kathryn-myers-computer:~/megatunix-0.9.14 jonathan$ sudo port -vc upgrade installed
kathryn-myers-computer:~/megatunix-0.9.14 jonathan$ sudo port search libxt
No match for libxt found
kathryn-myers-computer:~/megatunix-0.9.14 jonathan$
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

stereophile33 wrote:kathryn-myers-computer:~/megatunix-0.9.14 jonathan$ sudo port -vc upgrade installed
kathryn-myers-computer:~/megatunix-0.9.14 jonathan$ sudo port search libxt
No match for libxt found
kathryn-myers-computer:~/megatunix-0.9.14 jonathan$
run

Code: Select all

sudo port selfupdate
David J. Andruczyk
stereophile33
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by stereophile33 »

all ports are updated....still won't open.

Jonathan
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

stereophile33 wrote:all ports are updated....still won't open.

Jonathan
I need more info. I'm (unfortunately) not a mind reader or remote viewer, so I have no idea what sort of error that YOU saw, so I have no way to help u until you provide some more usefull information.
David J. Andruczyk
stereophile33
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by stereophile33 »

sorry, wasnt meaning to be frustrating. So when I try and run megatunix, I get this error.

Trace/BPT trap

but as you can see I have 6.1 installed

/opt/local/var/macports/software/XFree86/4.7.0_0+macosx/usr/X11R6/lib/libXtst.dy
lib
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.6.0.dylib
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.6.1.dylib
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.6.dylib
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.dylib
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXtst.6.1.dylib
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXtst.6.dylib
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXtst.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXtst.dylib

so why is it trying to read 6.0 when 6.1 is present....

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help.
Jonathan
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

stereophile33 wrote:sorry, wasnt meaning to be frustrating. So when I try and run megatunix, I get this error.

Trace/BPT trap

but as you can see I have 6.1 installed

/opt/local/var/macports/software/XFree86/4.7.0_0+macosx/usr/X11R6/lib/libXtst.dy
lib
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.6.0.dylib
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.6.1.dylib
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.6.dylib
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.dylib
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXtst.6.1.dylib
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXtst.6.dylib
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXtst.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXtst.dylib

so why is it trying to read 6.0 when 6.1 is present....

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help.
Jonathan

looks like you have two versions installed. You can try running "ldconfig" (not sure if that exists on OS-X or not, don't have a mac handy), or use the Macport manuals to figure out WHAT package owns /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.6.0.dylib and uninstall it.
David J. Andruczyk
bohalrantipol
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by bohalrantipol »

Any updates for 10.5? I tried using both the darwin port and the macports with no luck, this was the final error i got.

DEBUG: Setting ownership to root
selfupdate done!
patrick-sachs-computer:~ Patrick$ sudo port install gtkglext libglade2
Skipping org.macports.activate (gtkglext ) since this port is already active
---> Cleaning gtkglext
---> Building libglade2 with target all
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_gnome_libglade2/work/libglade-2.6.2" && make all " returned error 2
Command output: make all-recursive
Making all in glade
/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc -O2 -Wall -std=c9x -version-info 0:7:0 -export-symbols-regex "^[^_].*" -no-undefined -L/opt/local/lib -o libglade-2.0.la -rpath /opt/local/lib glade-init.lo glade-xml.lo glade-parser.lo glade-gtk.lo -L/opt/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lxml2 -lpthread -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -ltiff -ljpeg -lm -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lSM -lICE -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lfreetype -lz -lfontconfig -lexpat -lpng12 -lXrender -lX11 -lglib-2.0 -lintl -liconv
rm -fr .libs/libglade-2.0.exp
generating symbol list for `libglade-2.0.la'
/usr/bin/nm -p .libs/glade-init.o .libs/glade-xml.o .libs/glade-parser.o .libs/glade-gtk.o | sed -n -e 's/^.*[ ]\([BCDEGRST][BCDEGRST]*\)[ ][ ]*_\([_A-Za-z][_A-Za-z0-9]*\)$/\1 _\2 \2/p' | /usr/bin/sed 's/.* //' | sort | uniq > .libs/libglade-2.0.exp
/usr/bin/grep -E -e "^[^_].*" ".libs/libglade-2.0.exp" > ".libs/libglade-2.0.expT"
mv -f ".libs/libglade-2.0.expT" ".libs/libglade-2.0.exp"
sed -e "s,#.*,," -e "s,^[ ]*,," -e "s,^\(..*\),_&," < .libs/libglade-2.0.exp > .libs/libglade-2.0-symbols.expsym
gcc -dynamiclib -o .libs/libglade-2.0.0.0.7.dylib .libs/glade-init.o .libs/glade-xml.o .libs/glade-parser.o .libs/glade-gtk.o -L/opt/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib /opt/local/lib/libxml2.dylib /opt/local/lib/libz.dylib -lpthread /opt/local/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libatk-1.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libtiff.dylib /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.dylib -lm /opt/local/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.dylib /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.dylib /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.dylib /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.dylib /opt/local/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libpango-1.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libcairo.dylib /usr/X11/lib/libSM.6.0.0.dylib -L/usr/X11/lib /usr/X11/lib/libICE.6.3.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libgobject-2.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libgmodule-2.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libfreetype.dylib -lz /opt/local/lib/libfontconfig.dylib /opt/local/lib/libexpat.dylib /opt/local/lib/libpng12.dylib /opt/local/lib/libXrender.dylib /usr/X11/lib/libX11.6.2.0.dylib /usr/X11/lib/libXau.6.0.0.dylib /usr/X11/lib/libXdmcp.6.0.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libglib-2.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libintl.dylib /opt/local/lib/libiconv.dylib -install_name /opt/local/lib/libglade-2.0.0.dylib -Wl,-compatibility_version -Wl,1 -Wl,-current_version -Wl,1.7
ld: duplicate symbol _g_bit_nth_lsf in .libs/glade-xml.o and .libs/glade-init.o

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [libglade-2.0.la] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.

I attempted to go ahead with the install to only get this error

patrick-sachs-computer:~ Patrick$ cd megatunix-0.9.15
patrick-sachs-computer:megatunix-0.9.15 Patrick$ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
patrick-sachs-computer:megatunix-0.9.15 Patrick$

I have previously gotten this to work on my computer previous to this install (10.4), but only to mess around with it.

Any help much appreciated.
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

bohalrantipol wrote:Any updates for 10.5? I tried using both the darwin port and the macports with no luck, this was the final error i got.

DEBUG: Setting ownership to root
selfupdate done!
patrick-sachs-computer:~ Patrick$ sudo port install gtkglext libglade2
Skipping org.macports.activate (gtkglext ) since this port is already active
---> Cleaning gtkglext
---> Building libglade2 with target all
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_gnome_libglade2/work/libglade-2.6.2" && make all " returned error 2
Command output: make all-recursive
Making all in glade
/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc -O2 -Wall -std=c9x -version-info 0:7:0 -export-symbols-regex "^[^_].*" -no-undefined -L/opt/local/lib -o libglade-2.0.la -rpath /opt/local/lib glade-init.lo glade-xml.lo glade-parser.lo glade-gtk.lo -L/opt/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lxml2 -lpthread -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -ltiff -ljpeg -lm -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lSM -lICE -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lfreetype -lz -lfontconfig -lexpat -lpng12 -lXrender -lX11 -lglib-2.0 -lintl -liconv
rm -fr .libs/libglade-2.0.exp
generating symbol list for `libglade-2.0.la'
/usr/bin/nm -p .libs/glade-init.o .libs/glade-xml.o .libs/glade-parser.o .libs/glade-gtk.o | sed -n -e 's/^.*[ ]\([BCDEGRST][BCDEGRST]*\)[ ][ ]*_\([_A-Za-z][_A-Za-z0-9]*\)$/\1 _\2 \2/p' | /usr/bin/sed 's/.* //' | sort | uniq > .libs/libglade-2.0.exp
/usr/bin/grep -E -e "^[^_].*" ".libs/libglade-2.0.exp" > ".libs/libglade-2.0.expT"
mv -f ".libs/libglade-2.0.expT" ".libs/libglade-2.0.exp"
sed -e "s,#.*,," -e "s,^[ ]*,," -e "s,^\(..*\),_&," < .libs/libglade-2.0.exp > .libs/libglade-2.0-symbols.expsym
gcc -dynamiclib -o .libs/libglade-2.0.0.0.7.dylib .libs/glade-init.o .libs/glade-xml.o .libs/glade-parser.o .libs/glade-gtk.o -L/opt/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib /opt/local/lib/libxml2.dylib /opt/local/lib/libz.dylib -lpthread /opt/local/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libatk-1.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libtiff.dylib /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.dylib -lm /opt/local/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.dylib /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.dylib /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.dylib /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.dylib /opt/local/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libpango-1.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libcairo.dylib /usr/X11/lib/libSM.6.0.0.dylib -L/usr/X11/lib /usr/X11/lib/libICE.6.3.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libgobject-2.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libgmodule-2.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libfreetype.dylib -lz /opt/local/lib/libfontconfig.dylib /opt/local/lib/libexpat.dylib /opt/local/lib/libpng12.dylib /opt/local/lib/libXrender.dylib /usr/X11/lib/libX11.6.2.0.dylib /usr/X11/lib/libXau.6.0.0.dylib /usr/X11/lib/libXdmcp.6.0.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libglib-2.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libintl.dylib /opt/local/lib/libiconv.dylib -install_name /opt/local/lib/libglade-2.0.0.dylib -Wl,-compatibility_version -Wl,1 -Wl,-current_version -Wl,1.7
ld: duplicate symbol _g_bit_nth_lsf in .libs/glade-xml.o and .libs/glade-init.o

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [libglade-2.0.la] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.

I attempted to go ahead with the install to only get this error

patrick-sachs-computer:~ Patrick$ cd megatunix-0.9.15
patrick-sachs-computer:megatunix-0.9.15 Patrick$ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
patrick-sachs-computer:megatunix-0.9.15 Patrick$

I have previously gotten this to work on my computer previous to this install (10.4), but only to mess around with it.

Any help much appreciated.
No update on OS-X 10.5 as I don't have 10.5. That problem you're having however is NOT related to megatunix. I suggest checking the macports/darwinports site as they prolly have a new release that it tested for 10.5, or at least a way to submit reports of issues like what you're having.

in the megatunix dir you need to follow the instructions and run
./configure
make
sudo make install
David J. Andruczyk