How to Install MegaTunix on Ubuntu Linux (all versions)

Questions specific to Megatunix - alternate tuning software that runs on unix and windows.
Note that Megatunix is obsolete.

Moderator: djandruczyk

Did this make any sense to you?

Yes, completely, worked without a problem!
80%
No, not at all, what the hell is linux anyways?
5%
Kinda, but I got lost partway through, help me!
10%
My kid did it and explained it all to me...
No votes
I didn't even bother as it looks too hard...
5%

Total votes: 20

djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

How to Install MegaTunix on Ubuntu Linux (all versions)

Post by djandruczyk »

Here's a pretty thorough HOWTO to get megatunix installed and working on Ubuntu.
Prereq's:
1. Need an ubuntu CD (Alternate or desktop CD should work)
2. Need a broadband connection (for updates and needed packages)
3. Need a computer with a free disk partition, or enough free space to shrink an existing partition (backup first!), OR vmware-player or VirtualBox to install it into a virtual machine (allows using linux on windows), setting up vmware-player or VirtualBox (http://virtualbox.org) to do this is beyond the scope of this document but I can assist users if requested.

First, install ubuntu. (stick in CD, boot off of it, Double Click the "Install" Icon in the gui follow prompts until done, it's pretty easy that an 8-18 year old should have little trouble with that part, if you get confused, call a neighborhood kid over to help you)

Next part. Login to your ubuntu install.
Then, open a Terminal (Go to top panel, upper left, it's under the Applications menu. in the Accessories submenu)

In this terminal run

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
. It'll prompt you for a password, its the same one as you logged in with. This will bring your system up to date with the package repositories (known as "repos") on the internet.

Now run

sudo apt-get upgrade
. This may prompt you to download a bunch of updates (all the updates since the version of ubuntu you installed was released) Hit "Y" for Yes and let it finish. Now I recommend rebooting, ONLY because the update might install a new C library(what EVERY last thing on the box depends on) and the old one is still cached in ram, so a reboot will make sure nothing breaks, so logout and reboot, via clicking on the System menu, and selecting "Quit" and then selecting "Restart Computer".

Once it comes back up, relogin and open a terminal again. (Applications->Accessories->Terminal)
Now we install all the stuff megatunix needs in one shot.
run this:

sudo apt-get install pkg-config libtool intltool libgtkglext1-dev g++ gcc flex bison glade-gnome-2 libglade2-dev make git-core gdb automake1.9
NOTE: For Ubuntu 9.10 and newer, use this line instead:

sudo apt-get install pkg-config libtool intltool libgtkglext1-dev g++ gcc flex bison glade libglade2-dev make git-core gdb automake1.9
It'll prompt you for download a block of stuff, hit Y and got have a cup of coffee or a beer, or a smoke, or whatever floats your boat.

OK, you've gotten everything installed needed to compile megatunix from source or Git.

Downloading and compiling a MegaTunix tarball

Run the Firefox browser and go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix scroll down and download the latest version (0.9.23 is up there now as of this writing)

Firefox will ask you if you want to open the file with an application or to Save to Disk. Select "Save to disk". Firefox by default puts everything on your desktop, so in that same terminal run

cd ~/Desktop
and it'll take you there (for those who aren't unix people, "~/" or tilde-slash, means your Home directory, which for me is /home/dave in the filesystem hiearchy)
If you do an "ls" (list files, equal to "dir" on DOS/windows) you should see

megatunix-0.x.y.tar.gz
(replace x.y with the version you DL'd). Run

tar xvzf megatunix-x.y.z.tar.gz
*replace the x.y.z with the version number of the one you got" to untar it.

"cd" (change directory) into the megatunix dir,

cd megatunix-0.<TAB> then <ENTER>
(Linux has what's known as "tabkey completion" hitting tab when typing in a long name will attempt to finish it if the name is unique, try it) and run

./configure ; make
It should complete in a couple minutes. When it is cone compiling run

sudo make install
followed by

sudo ldconfig
and it's installed on your system and ready for use.

END of procedure for users NOT wanting to use Git

Downloading and compiling MegaTunix from Git

To get a copy from Git run these commands:

cd
mkdir git
cd git
For git, what you are going to do is to "checkout" a "working copy" from the repository stored on the github.com servers. You ONLY need to check it out once, once you have it you update with a single command below. When I make a change on my main system, I commit it to the repository. Users would then be able to run one command to get all my changes and their SOURCE tree would be completely up to date. It's good for users who want to get the very latest of megatunix in between releases (bugfixes or new features)

Anonymous Git procedure below:

git clone git://github.com/djandruczyk/MegaTunix.git
Compiling a Git checkout of MegaTunix

cd ~/git/MegaTunix
./autogen.sh
make
If that succeeds without dying run:

sudo make install

sudo ldconfig
It's now READY to RUN!!!

Now, if you want to keep up to date with changes as I commit them in between releases, that's even easier..

just cd into the MegaTunix directory:

cd ~/git/MegaTunix
and update your Git to current

git pull
otherwise

then rebuild;

./autogen.sh ; make clean ; make ; sudo make install ; sudo ldconfig
[/b]

And you're up to date and running on the bleeding edge

To run MegaTunix, you should be able to run "megatunix" from any open terminal, or you can create a new icon (or launcher) on the desktop, though having it run from a terminal will show you output that might otherwise not be visible.

It sounds long and hard but in practice it really isn't.

NOTE about serial ports:
Under linux (and most unix's in general) all device drivers are accessed through "files" (In Unix/Linux basically EVERYTHING is a file) in a directory called /dev (or /devices on sun) Serial ports are known typically as /dev/ttySx with x being a number starting from 0 and going up. (/dev/ttyS0 = COM1 on windows, /dev/ttyS1 is COM2 and so on) For those of you with USB to serial adapters, they are usually named a little bit differently, typically /dev/ttyUSBx with x starting and 0 and going up. On MAC OS-X there tends to be multiple devices per serial port (because OS-X is based on the BSD codebase), /dev/ttyS's and /dev/cuax's. In megatunix's case you want the cua device instead of the tty one as some users have reported that the cua one worked but the tty one did NOT as the CUA one is a "raw callout device" and not just a text device (like os-X consider's some of it's tty's to be)

So, in megatunix the first thing most users need to change is the serial port, and that's on the "General" tab. The text will change from to red when you've made a change but NOT committed it (gotta hit enter to make megatunix try that device, notice the status messages below that box as it'll say if the device could be opened or not. Watch the titlebar for feedback as well. If you found an open port but no ECU, make sure that your ECU is powered up, and that you're actually using the right port (many computers have two serial ports), so try the other one just in case..

Enjoy!
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix Author
Updated 05/19/2012
Last edited by djandruczyk on Sat May 19, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Reason: upped default version
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix
OpelCrazy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by OpelCrazy »

d*** needed this like a week ago but managed to sort it anyway :D
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Post by MegaScott »

First of all I would like to thank Dave for such a great program Megatunix has turned out to be, Also for taking the time to write these installation instructions. Thanks Dave!

I have been using the Windows version of Megatunix without a hitch for a little while, using MS1 and MSnS-extra 29v, I like the many different Graphical gauges that are available, among other features not available with Megatune. I really wanted to try out the *nix version of Megatunix as well.

My company has a licensing agreement with VMware which allows me to use it at home, so I have installed VMware workstation on my PC and installed many precanned VM's as well as other novelties such as Microsoft Vista and other stuff including Ubuntu Linux. I could have used Microsoft virtual PC which is now free, or Virtual box, also free. Personally I like the VMware drivers better so that's what I use.

To start I had Ubuntu 5.10 "Breezy Badger" already installed as a VM and even though the install instructions are written for Ubuntu V6.10, they worked just fine, of course with the exception of the update part which is a different update depository, no big deal even an inexperienced at unix guy like me figured that out. The rest of the Megatunix install went without a hitch.

I downloaded the 6.10 version of Ubuntu and installed that in a VM as well, the installation of Megatunix is exactly as Dave describes in the instructions, which by the way are very well written for a non-unix person like me to be able to install without a hitch. Now I can transfer the VM over to my laptop and run it on there, all setup and preconfigured with Megatunix!!

Thanks again, Dave!!

Now there's a link on the Megatunix sourceforge site directly to this tutorial!!

Cheers!
jpbturbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jpbturbo »

I just installed Megatunix on Xubuntu 6.10 and everything went great just following the instructions.
Now I have no reason to be tempted to put windoze on this laptop at all.
'84 volvo 242ti/soon to be MSnS-E
R.I.P. '83 volvo wagon/MSnS-E
Maglin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Maglin »

Well you got my Linux bug active again. I tried 7.04 but the boot loader won't install. Seems like a lot of people are having same issue. So I'm installing 6.06.1 (edgy) I think it's called. Seems like chipset issues as far as 7.04 and being able to write to the MBR. I'm going to be installing the CVS build and will be awaiting MSIIextra support. I'll definitely be the first to test it out once you have something you think works. :)
Jeremiah
93 5.8 LX Mustang - MSIIextra
92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Turbo - MSIIextra
rb26dett
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by rb26dett »

ummm, kernel versions can have driver/chipset bugs(more likely that the chipset itself is flawed though), grub can have bugs, lilo can have bugs, but its not really right to say that an ubuntu meta distribution has issues in that way. pm me with the issues you were having if you like maybe it can be sorted.

fred.
ms2,v3,cop,innovate,mazda fe3/fe-dohc 2l 4cyl with stock 10:1 pistons,4 stock coils,4 stock ignitors,rx7 550cc injectors maxed@6600rpm&17psi,custom everything,holset he351cw turbo,44mm ext gate,nis gtr bovs,nis gtr intercooler,70mm lexus throttle,chinese fpr,10may v2 ms2e alpha code
Maglin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Maglin »

got Fiesty 7.04 installed finally. GRUB wouldn't install properly. On either Fiesty or Edgy. Their is numerous others that are having the same issues. Well I finally got it installed and now installing programs and Megatunix.

Edit: Just installed Megatunix with the CVS. Excellent program. i've seen pics of it before but it's really something. Can't wait to play with it on the MSII.
Jeremiah
93 5.8 LX Mustang - MSIIextra
92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Turbo - MSIIextra
kameron
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kameron »

i'm running gutsy and installed your latest tar.gz
my usb is working fine for other devices
tried to connect to MS today MSnSE 029yx firmware
cycled through all ttySOx and ttyUSBx from 0-10 no luck
using a serial > usb adapter

anything else i should try? i'm on a newer dual core pentium laptop.
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

kameron wrote:i'm running gutsy and installed your latest tar.gz
my usb is working fine for other devices
tried to connect to MS today MSnSE 029yx firmware
cycled through all ttySOx and ttyUSBx from 0-10 no luck
using a serial > usb adapter

anything else i should try? i'm on a newer dual core pentium laptop.
If you used the latest 0.9.15) it should have auto-scanned.

What does your device normally show up as ? common names are /dev/ttyUSB0

If you have an oddball name (some keyspan adapters use funky names) You can try editing megatunix's main config file ~/.MegaTunix/config and adding those potential names to the "potential_ports" line.

Also if the perms of the device don't allow you to open it for writing, it'll also fail. (ls -al /dev/ttyUSB0)

for me I see:

dave@shrapnel:~/.MegaTunix$ ls -la /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 2007-11-14 18:47 /dev/ttyUSB0
My account is in the dialout group, hence I have RW access to the device.
dave@shrapnel:~/.MegaTunix$ id dave
uid=1000(dave) gid=1000(dave) groups=1000(dave),4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),25(floppy),29(audio),30(dip),44(video),46(plugdev),100(users),104(scanner),110(lpadmin),111(admin),1001(vboxusers),122(pulse),123(pulse-access),124(pulse-rt),125(uml-net)
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
höylä
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by höylä »

thanks for help... :RTFM:
squirrelgripper
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by squirrelgripper »

Dave, I'm getting an error when I try to "make" the file per your directions (see below), I'm new to Linux (this is Ubuntu 7.10 ), I could use some coaching if you have the time.

Iain

squirrelgripper@squirrelgripper-desktop:~/Desktop/megatunix-0.9.15$ ./configure ; make
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name...
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
s
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

squirrelgripper wrote:Dave, I'm getting an error when I try to "make" the file per your directions (see below), I'm new to Linux (this is Ubuntu 7.10 ), I could use some coaching if you have the time.

Iain

squirrelgripper@squirrelgripper-desktop:~/Desktop/megatunix-0.9.15$ ./configure ; make
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name...
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
s
Looks like you missed the all important step. NOTE: This requires an internet connection to get the required packages.

sudo apt-get install libgtkglext1-dev g++ gcc flex bison glade-gnome-2 libglade2-dev make cvs gdb automake1.9
Run that , then retry with compiling megatunix.
David J. Andruczyk
squirrelgripper
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by squirrelgripper »

djandruczyk wrote:[
Looks like you missed the all important step. NOTE: This requires an internet connection to get the required packages.

sudo apt-get install libgtkglext1-dev g++ gcc flex bison glade-gnome-2 libglade2-dev make cvs gdb automake1.9
Thanks Dave! That did it - terrific looking software!
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

squirrelgripper wrote:
djandruczyk wrote:[

Thanks Dave! That did it - terrific looking software!

sure no problem. just wait till the next release (by the end of this week for the megameet 2008). which has a bunch of new gauges (two new full sets so far, one more set expected soon) and a couple more dash designs, as well as partial MS-2 (B&G) support. (dash works, VE, Spark,AFR,Warmup tables all completed and working.) I hope to have ms-2 support more complete before release though..
David J. Andruczyk
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: How to Install MegaTunix on Ubuntu Linux (7.x/8.x)

Post by suberimakuri »

Hi Dave,

I've used your software in the past and it's worked great, thank you!

Unfortunately I'm having a couple problems here on a new Core 2 Duo laptop.. Ubuntu 8.10 amd64.. Downloaded tarball from Sourceforge

./configure is fine... but then when I try make, I get the following:

thermistor.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/thermistor.Tpo" -c -o thermistor.o thermistor.cpp; \
	then mv -f ".deps/thermistor.Tpo" ".deps/thermistor.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/thermistor.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
thermistor.cpp: In member function ‘void thermistor::modify_s19_file(char*)’:
thermistor.cpp:160: error: ‘strlen’ was not declared in this scope
thermistor.cpp:162: error: ‘strncpy’ was not declared in this scope
thermistor.cpp:186: error: ‘exit’ was not declared in this scope
thermistor.cpp:189: error: ‘strncmp’ was not declared in this scope
make[2]: *** [thermistor.o] エラー 1
make[2]: ディレクトリ `/......../megatunix-0.9.17/src' から出ます
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] エラー 1
make[1]: ディレクトリ `/......../megatunix-0.9.17' から出ます
make: *** [all] エラー 2
So I tried the CVS version but unfortunately it was the same...

Any ideas?

Cheers
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

Karl_Skewes wrote:Hi Dave,

I've used your software in the past and it's worked great, thank you!

Unfortunately I'm having a couple problems here on a new Core 2 Duo laptop.. Ubuntu 8.10 amd64.. Downloaded tarball from Sourceforge

./configure is fine... but then when I try make, I get the following:

thermistor.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/thermistor.Tpo" -c -o thermistor.o thermistor.cpp; \
	then mv -f ".deps/thermistor.Tpo" ".deps/thermistor.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/thermistor.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
thermistor.cpp:160: error: ‘strlen’ was not declared in this scope
thermistor.cpp:162: error: ‘strncpy’ was not declared in this scope
thermistor.cpp:189: error: ‘strncmp’ was not declared in this scope
make[2]: ディレクトリ `/......../megatunix-0.9.17/src' から出ます
make[1]: ディレクトリ `/......../megatunix-0.9.17' から出ます
So I tried the CVS version but unfortunately it was the same...

Any ideas?

Cheers
This seems to be a recent GCC issue. I found a potential fix and committed it to CVS. if you don't want (or know how) to use the latest CVS branch, change

#include <string>
to
#include <cstring>

in thermistor.cpp
and rerun make
David J. Andruczyk
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

great, thanks for the quick reply!

will grab a new copy from cvs and try again tonight.

Cheers!
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

unfortunately even after grabbing new CVS it failed with the same error.

So I tried changing thermistor.cpp to <cstring> from <string>

this gave me

O2 -MT thermistor.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/thermistor.Tpo -c -o thermistor.o thermistor.cpp
make[2]: ディレクトリ `/......../megasquirt/cvs/MegaTunix/src' から出ます
make[1]: ディレクトリ `/........./megasquirt/cvs/MegaTunix' から出ます

any ideas?
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

Karl_Skewes wrote:unfortunately even after grabbing new CVS it failed with the same error.

So I tried changing thermistor.cpp to <cstring> from <string>

this gave me

O2 -MT thermistor.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/thermistor.Tpo -c -o thermistor.o thermistor.cpp
make[2]: ディレクトリ `/......../megasquirt/cvs/MegaTunix/src' から出ます
make[1]: ディレクトリ `/........./megasquirt/cvs/MegaTunix' から出ます

any ideas?
where you added "#include <cstring>"
add the following:

#include <cstdlib>
David J. Andruczyk
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

sweet, that did it (cstdlib), should have thought of that one myself. :roll: