What am I missing?

Questions specific to Megatunix - alternate tuning software that runs on unix and windows.
Note that Megatunix is obsolete.

Moderator: djandruczyk

gtpilot
MS/Extra Newbie

What am I missing?

Post by gtpilot »

First of all a complete newb to MS, but not to custom FI systems, etc.

I got my MS-I (PCBA v2.2, ECU version 8.1), loaded up v29 of MSnS-extra, got the communication to work through Megatune. Able to upload/download/log etc. without any problems.

I was looking at Megatunix due to the nicer "creature comforts" and the ability to create an "electronic dash" in the racecar. Downloaded the files suggested by the site, installed them and when I tried to connect I got the following:

USER Initiated ECU interrogation...
Command "C" (MS Clock), returned 3 bytes
Command "c" (MS-II Clock), returned 1 bytes
Command "A" (Runtime Vars), returned 1 bytes
Command "R" (Runtime Vars (MSnS-Extra)), returned 1 bytes
Command "Q" (MS Revision), returned 1 bytes
Command "V" (VE/Constants), returned 1 bytes
Command "S" (ECU Signature), returned 1 bytes
Command "T" (Text Version), returned 1 bytes
Command "I" (Ignition Variables), returned 1 bytes
Command "F0" (Raw Memory Readback), returned 2 bytes
Command "a06" (MS-II RT Vars), returned 3 bytes
Firmware NOT DETECTED properly, Expect MegaTunix to NOT behave properly
Contact the author with the contents of this window

I also have the notation above it confirming the ECU revision, Textual Version "T" and ECU signature string "S".

To note, I am connected through a USB/serial convertor - Keyspan USA19H2KP - what is odd is that Megatune connects through virtual COM4 and Megatunix connects through virtual COM3.

Any suggestions or more information that I can supply to solve the puzzle?

Thank you for any and all advice/help.

Kirk
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Re: What am I missing?

Post by djandruczyk »

gtpilot wrote:First of all a complete newb to MS, but not to custom FI systems, etc.

I got my MS-I (PCBA v2.2, ECU version 8.1), loaded up v29 of MSnS-extra, got the communication to work through Megatune. Able to upload/download/log etc. without any problems.

I was looking at Megatunix due to the nicer "creature comforts" and the ability to create an "electronic dash" in the racecar. Downloaded the files suggested by the site, installed them and when I tried to connect I got the following:

USER Initiated ECU interrogation...
Command "C" (MS Clock), returned 3 bytes
Command "c" (MS-II Clock), returned 1 bytes
Command "A" (Runtime Vars), returned 1 bytes
Command "R" (Runtime Vars (MSnS-Extra)), returned 1 bytes
Command "Q" (MS Revision), returned 1 bytes
Command "V" (VE/Constants), returned 1 bytes
Command "S" (ECU Signature), returned 1 bytes
Command "T" (Text Version), returned 1 bytes
Command "I" (Ignition Variables), returned 1 bytes
Command "F0" (Raw Memory Readback), returned 2 bytes
Command "a06" (MS-II RT Vars), returned 3 bytes
Firmware NOT DETECTED properly, Expect MegaTunix to NOT behave properly
Contact the author with the contents of this window

I also have the notation above it confirming the ECU revision, Textual Version "T" and ECU signature string "S".

To note, I am connected through a USB/serial convertor - Keyspan USA19H2KP - what is odd is that Megatune connects through virtual COM4 and Megatunix connects through virtual COM3.

Any suggestions or more information that I can supply to solve the puzzle?

Thank you for any and all advice/help.

Kirk
That is not standard output from the ECU.. If MT uses COM4, Mtx should use the same thing... Make sure your keyspan firmware is current. I've seen/heard of several problems with those specific adapters (mainly in windows) I use a cheapo no-name (PL-2303 chipset) adapter and it has been flawless for me in windows, linux, OS-X and freebsd, and it cost I think about $3.99)
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix
gtpilot
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by gtpilot »

David,

Thank you for the response! I had already downloaded the latest version of the driver for the device, but it was a good suggestion. I had begun to suspect the Keyspan as I had tried to use Hyperterminal to ping some other devies that I had and some worked - others didn't...go figure.

I think that I'll order the USB/Serial converter that is listed on the MS site DIY site - seems that some people have used it and have been successful.

Thank you for your time.

Kirk
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

gtpilot wrote:David,

Thank you for the response! I had already downloaded the latest version of the driver for the device, but it was a good suggestion. I had begun to suspect the Keyspan as I had tried to use Hyperterminal to ping some other devies that I had and some worked - others didn't...go figure.

I think that I'll order the USB/Serial converter that is listed on the MS site DIY site - seems that some people have used it and have been successful.

Thank you for your time.

Kirk
keep us posted on your results ...
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix
gtpilot
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by gtpilot »

Excellent news - the USB/serial convertor from the DIYAuto site works perfectly. Now on to the next step of acquiring an automotive PC and 7" screen, 8GB flash drive (no spinning hard drive for me) and start the installation in the car.

Thank you for your feedback David.

Kirk