Trouble opening an MSQ in megatunix

Questions specific to Megatunix - alternate tuning software that runs on unix and windows.
Note that Megatunix is obsolete.

Moderator: djandruczyk

ZiG
MS/Extra Newbie

Trouble opening an MSQ in megatunix

Post by ZiG »

This, uh, IS possible to do.. right? I've got the windows version of MTX installed and I can't open my msq with it, it says there is a version mismatch, when there really isn't. My friend is having the same problem with my msq on his Linux system.. Searched around and couldn't find anything on it.. help please?
6040solder
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 6040solder »

I dont think it does that.
substock
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by substock »

msq files won't work in megatunix

if you want to view your tune in mtx, you'll have to power the ecu with mtx running and save a copy of it that way
'89 Chrysler Conquest TSi MPI'ed
ZiG
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ZiG »

Dang. i was afraid of that.

Ok, thanks.
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

ZiG wrote:Dang. i was afraid of that.

Ok, thanks.
Sorry but there is no other way.. MSQ's will never be supported, as they have too many severe techinical shortcomings, thus they are pretty much married to megatune ONLY.

MegaTunix's bone simple backup/storage system is portable to other tuning SW's though AFAIK none of them utilize it as of yet. MEgaTune's MSQ's ON THEIR OWN do not provide enough info torestore data to an ECU. they require a a myriad of other megatune specific config files in order t odecode into a format suitable to transfer to an ECU. Hence trying to support that kind of system in megatunix is not going to happen.

There were a couple people who were supposedly working on a web based conversion tool that could convert between megatune MSQ and megatunix formats, but AFAIK they got frustrated with the idea and gave up, or they've jsut been really really quiet.

You can however exhange VE/sparkAFR/boost tables using the VEX import/export ability. (in megatunix this is on each table, or u can export them all using the tools tab/menu.) NOTE, when exchanging VEX files from megatune, it's best to export/import tables indivdually. When going between megatunix to megatunix, a full all-tables export/import is OK (firmwares should be identical). This is due to the VEX format not containing any way to differentiate tables from each other. (it was designed back in the days when the MS firmware had only 1 table) . Mtx gets around this by embedding info into the Comment field, but I don't think megatune is capable of decoding that, and thus if using a multiple table vex file, megatune might import them incorrectly.
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix
ZiG
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ZiG »

Ok, that makes sense, thanks. Good to know that I can at least transfer the tables, the rest of the tune is pretty much trivial anyhow, real easy to copy the rest of the settings.

Thanks.