Megatunix for MS2/Extra?

Questions specific to Megatunix - alternate tuning software that runs on unix and windows.
Note that Megatunix is obsolete.

Moderator: djandruczyk

Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

Megatunix for MS2/Extra?

Post by Philip Lochner »

Anticipating the arrival of Megatunix for MS-2 I have already created all the gauges I will need complete with non-linear TPSdot and MAPdot gauges (or so I think)!

And then it occurred to me...

Will Megatunix/MS2 support the MS2/Extra firmware as well?
Kind regards
Philip
'74 Jensen Interceptor 440ci (EFI'ed with MS2 and wasted spark + GM 4L60e GPIO controlled - both on Extra FW)
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Re: Megatunix for MS2/Extra?

Post by djandruczyk »

Philip Lochner wrote:Anticipating the arrival of Megatunix for MS-2 I have already created all the gauges I will need complete with non-linear TPSdot and MAPdot gauges (or so I think)!

And then it occurred to me...

Will Megatunix/MS2 support the MS2/Extra firmware as well?
It will EVENTUALLY. first for me is basic stock B&G MS2. Several things keep me from doing ms2extra over stock ms2. It CHANGES TOO d*** MUCH, and megatunix is NOT megatune. MT is AWESOME for rapid prototyping, MTX is NOT. MTX requires thought and effort for control layout which results in the end advantage for the user (it's far more intuitive and usually better organized). The downside to that is when things change, I have to change a lot of things and that's a helluva a lot of effort that I frankly don't have time to do, hence I've been waiting to MS2-Extra to "Settle" to a minimally changing state. the same as I did for MS-1 E.

It doesn't help that the ms2-e devs are brilliant busy folks like the rest of us and don't have much free tiem to answer questions (that they probbaly get 10x per week) and the typical resonse I get from them about api, or controls is "read the MT.ini", or "just read the sourcecode", which, yes will probably eventually give me the info to solve an issue, it's very very time consuming for me, and I typiclaly find better ways to spend my time than to try and reverse engineer a MT ini, or asm/c sourcecode.

There are some other things in MS2-E that are hard for megatunix to swallow, like the variable sized VE tables (12x12 or 16x16 switchable, which completely F%$@s up megatunix's 3D display, VE import/export, and the current tables in general. You can give me the "MT can do this easily" argument till your blue in the face, but they fact that it's in there, is just one more thing I would need to code around, and is thus another impediment.

I've also been very lucky that a kind soul has put in LOTS of hours and effort into designing tabs for stock MS2 and contributing them to me, which greatly reduces the amount of work I need to do to support the firmware. AFAIK firmware devs have little interest in megatunix, as megatune is easier for them, due to it's entrentched nature and ease of use for rapid prototyping. I know some of them like MTX's UI however (and some don't).
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix
Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Philip Lochner »

Thanks David

Sad news but I understand.

MT is fine for tuning/programming purposes but what I don't understand is why you don't do a "gauges only" version of MTX which only takes the data being spewed out by MS and puts it on the MTX gauges. But then, this question is based on the assumption that doing so would be significantly easier/quicker than doing a full MT equivalent...

Surely doing a gauges only version is likely to increase MTX exposure which may lead to another kind soul (or 2...) stepping forward to offer support, not so?
Kind regards
Philip
'74 Jensen Interceptor 440ci (EFI'ed with MS2 and wasted spark + GM 4L60e GPIO controlled - both on Extra FW)
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

Philip Lochner wrote:Thanks David

Sad news but I understand.

MT is fine for tuning/programming purposes but what I don't understand is why you don't do a "gauges only" version of MTX which only takes the data being spewed out by MS and puts it on the MTX gauges. But then, this question is based on the assumption that doing so would be significantly easier/quicker than doing a full MT equivalent...

Surely doing a gauges only version is likely to increase MTX exposure which may lead to another kind soul (or 2...) stepping forward to offer support, not so?

Gauges only is rather easy actually.. The thing is most people want the whole package, not just the dash. Once I get the current release with partial MS2 out the door, I'll look into the dash part of MS2-Extra..

It'd be nice to have a bit more support from the community though, (i.e. gauge designers, tab designers, megatune.ini "decoders", donations, etc...)
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Philip Lochner »

I can design gauges!!! (Or at least I think I can....)

Tell me what you want :D :idea: :idea: :idea:
Kind regards
Philip
Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Philip Lochner »

djandruczyk wrote:Gauges only is rather easy actually.. The thing is most people want the whole package, not just the dash.
Please forgive me David, but I have to go on record as having the view that doing the gauges only (first) would be a sure way to get more MTX exposure and hopefully support in the short term.

....unless I'm missing the plot - completely, I am blond after all....
:lol:
Kind regards
Philip
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

Philip Lochner wrote:
djandruczyk wrote:Gauges only is rather easy actually.. The thing is most people want the whole package, not just the dash.
Please forgive me David, but I have to go on record as having the view that doing the gauges only (first) would be a sure way to get more MTX exposure and hopefully support in the short term.

....unless I'm missing the plot - completely, I am blond after all....
:lol:
Good point, Hopefully I can get it done before I get so burnt out that I won't wanna touch a computer for a month....
David J. Andruczyk
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

just for you phil, I have MOST (not all) of the realtime vars from ms2-extra working (0330 release) in megatunix thus a dashboard should work.

Some of the more esoteric params (the ones near the end of the block of data) are NOT handled, but the basic dash works.

attached is the proof
David J. Andruczyk
neonturbo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by neonturbo »

I would throw in a thanks for this software. I am awaiting the latest release.

I would agree that more people would try it out if the gauges were available seperately. I have a carputer and would like to be able to embed the gauges in my front end. (roadrunner for those who know of such things)

Again, I think everyone who has used this software appreciates the hard work.
MS1extra HR11d

Neon/420 input mods
NGC code
V3 board

Dodge Neon
3.3 V6 from Caravan
5 speed
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=362166
Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Philip Lochner »

djandruczyk wrote:just for you phil, I have MOST (not all) of the realtime vars from ms2-extra working (0330 release) in megatunix thus a dashboard should work.

Some of the more esoteric params (the ones near the end of the block of data) are NOT handled, but the basic dash works.
Look Dave, I've got my MTX dash ready and waiting (attached) and improving on it (IMHO) all the time!!!

You know the thing about offering a finger and grabbing the hand? Well, I'm about to grab two fingers. :oops: :oops:

As you can see from my dash, all the gauges are standard parameters which I presume will work, except the AFRerrL and AFRerrR gauges (the little ones inside the AFR gauges).

Having dual WBOs in the Jag (partly the reason for running Extra), I've created new variables in megasquirt-II.ini called AFRerrL and AFRerrR defined as afr1-afrtgt1 and afr2-afrtgt2. Therefore they display the deviation of the AFR in the exhaust from the desired AFR in the AFR table. When all is well they hover around 0, when not they start deviating from 0. These two gauges are, to me, the most important on the entire dash.

Might (....sigh....) this be possible with the new MTX (even if gauges only)?
Kind regards
Philip
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

Philip Lochner wrote:
djandruczyk wrote:just for you phil, I have MOST (not all) of the realtime vars from ms2-extra working (0330 release) in megatunix thus a dashboard should work.

Look Dave, I've got my MTX dash ready and waiting (attached) and improving on it (IMHO) all the time!!!

You know the thing about offering a finger and grabbing the hand? Well, I'm about to grab two fingers. :oops: :oops:

As you can see from my dash, all the gauges are standard parameters which I presume will work, except the AFRerrL and AFRerrR gauges (the little ones inside the AFR gauges).

Having dual WBOs in the Jag (partly the reason for running Extra), I've created new variables in megasquirt-II.ini called AFRerrL and AFRerrR defined as afr1-afrtgt1 and afr2-afrtgt2. Therefore they display the deviation of the AFR in the exhaust from the desired AFR in the AFR table. When all is well they hover around 0, when not they start deviating from 0. These two gauges are, to me, the most important on the entire dash.

Might (....sigh....) this be possible with the new MTX (even if gauges only)?
Yeah, that's easy as snot... Megatunix variable defs are VERY VERY verbose compared to megatune's simple (and IMHO easier format)

2 new vars created... 2nd one is a copy of this one with different offsets

Code: Select all

[derived_67]
keys=internal_names,dlog_gui_name,dlog_field_name,offset,complex_expr,ul_conv_expr,is_float,tooltip,lower_limit,upper_limit,log_by_default
key_types=_STRING_,_STRING_,_STRING_,_INT_,_BOOL_,_STRING_,_BOOL_,_STRING_,_INT_,_INT_,_BOOL_
internal_names=afr_err_r
dlog_gui_name=AFR Error right
dlog_field_name=AfrErrR
offset=13
lower_limit=-25
upper_limit=25
complex_expr=TRUE
ul_conv_expr=(afr/10)-(afrtgt/10)
expr_symbols=afr,afrtgt
expr_types=_RAW_VAR_,_RAW_VAR_
afr_offset=30
afr_size=_S16_
afrtgt_offset=13
afttgt_size=_U08_
is_float=TRUE
tooltip="AFR Error Right" is the difference between target AFR and actual AFR for the second O2 channel.
log_by_default=TRUE
David J. Andruczyk
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

I am also a MS 2 Extra guy. While honestly I am or less happy with megatune (gauges and all), the part of tunix that appeals most to me is the tooth logger. How difficult would this be to implement on Extra 2?
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

wes kiser wrote:I am also a MS 2 Extra guy. While honestly I am or less happy with megatune (gauges and all), the part of tunix that appeals most to me is the tooth logger. How difficult would this be to implement on Extra 2?
If it's documented it should be trivial, hopefully it's similar to the previous one in MS-I extra, if it's not documented it'll be a nightmare.. I'll be talking to james about it on friday/sat at the megameet.
David J. Andruczyk
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

I will be at the meet again as well. I am the guy from last year with the white mustang (4-banger turbo).
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

wes kiser wrote:I will be at the meet again as well. I am the guy from last year with the white mustang (4-banger turbo).
I'll be there too.
Dave, I've reserved a partition on my newish laptop.
Will you have any Linux install discs that will work with you?
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

Peter Florance wrote:
wes kiser wrote:I will be at the meet again as well. I am the guy from last year with the white mustang (4-banger turbo).
I'll be there too.

Yeah I'll try to remember to pack a bunch as well as a spindle of clean discs so I can hand out copies for those who are interested.

I'll be arriving friday morning, flight comes in around 8:40 AM
David J. Andruczyk
quark2501
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Megatunix for MS2/Extra?

Post by quark2501 »

I hope that you will have time to get it done for ms2extra also..

It´s so much better than megatune.... :-D But I also understand that it is not always easy to find time for something like this.
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Re:

Post by Peter Florance »

djandruczyk wrote:
Peter Florance wrote:
I'll be there too.

Yeah I'll try to remember to pack a bunch as well as a spindle of clean discs so I can hand out copies for those who are interested.

I'll be arriving friday morning, flight comes in around 8:40 AM
Well it's a year later and I've been dual-booting my laptop ever since. Spend more and more time in Linux

I have TunerStudio working in Linux but most of my current installations are MS2Extra so I have to use TS or Megatune.

Dave, you coming this year?
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Re: Re:

Post by djandruczyk »

Peter Florance wrote:
Well it's a year later and I've been dual-booting my laptop ever since. Spend more and more time in Linux

I have TunerStudio working in Linux but most of my current installations are MS2Extra so I have to use TS or Megatune.

Dave, you coming this year?
I can't make it this year. I'll be on the galapogos islands during the event. MegaTunix is now working against MS2/MS2-extra, but it's just horribly incomplete. I've been making good progress on B&G MS2, got all VE/Spark/AFR tabs done, as well as all warmup/ASE stuff, and today got the main features, injector settings and input smoothing/sampling controls done. At this rate, I should have B&G MS2 support done well before the april event, (even though I can't attend). It's tough, and largely un-fun sort of work, but it has to get done as nobody else wnats to do it.. MS2-extra has all VE/Spark/AFR tabs done as well as the MS-2 TTM (2/3rds done, awaiting better docs from james, as the first round of them i couldn't make any sense of for the composite logger).

ubuntu is quite nice, I found that on my setup (ubuntu 8.04), megatune works perfectly in Wine, so I can run it in linux, which makes it really handy for MTx development. mtCfg however doesn't work...
David J. Andruczyk