Going from tune to tunix

Questions specific to Megatunix - alternate tuning software that runs on unix and windows.
Note that Megatunix is obsolete.

Moderator: djandruczyk

daveb272
MS/Extra Newbie

Going from tune to tunix

Post by daveb272 »

Recently my win tablet died and had to use my linux laptop for tuning. I was able to upgrade ms to 29y4, then successfully installed tunix on ubuntu Thanks to the great how to from Dave.
Now i have the linux laptop running the ms, However i have some questions.
1. How do i calibrate the tps?
2. Is there a table generator for fuel and spark.
3. Are megatune .msq's compatible with tunix if both are running the same firmware.

I was able to use a friend's tune msq's with some variations to fit my application, ie i have smaller injectors, narrowband o2 and some other stuff.
Somewhere i am loosing something durring the software change because if i manually input the fuel ve and the spark tables as per and older setup, and a quick run down of all the settings, I have a huge knock and ping under little to no load. Is that fuel, is it spark or both? I can only get a decent idle if i use a fixed spark trigger angle, but i still get the ping.
Any little bit helps, and i am very thankful. This has been a long ongoing project. I have gotten very little help from the board that got me into ms. I guess i was to much of a newbie to help.
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Re: Going from tune to tunix

Post by djandruczyk »

daveb272 wrote:Recently my win tablet died and had to use my linux laptop for tuning. I was able to upgrade ms to 29y4, then successfully installed tunix on ubuntu Thanks to the great how to from Dave.
Now i have the linux laptop running the ms, However i have some questions.
1. How do i calibrate the tps?

There is NO NEED TO DO THIS for MS-I ecu's. MT only has it to calibrate it's gauge so it reads 0-100, but it can also cover up wiring problems if you miswired your TPS, hence I don't provide this "feature" for ms-i firmwares. It IS useful for MS-II, which can alter the tables in the live ECU, though I haven't gotten that part done yet for mtx's ms-2 suport.
daveb272 wrote: 2. Is there a table generator for fuel and spark.
No, but you can use several of the online tools which generate a VEX file and import that. http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/vetable.htm Use the "import table" button on the VEtable tab that you want to import and point it to that VEX file you created from the online tool and it'll load that..
daveb272 wrote: 3. Are megatune .msq's compatible with tunix if both are running the same firmware.
No, Megatune MSQ's are proprieatary to megatune and megatune's ini files and not usable by megatunix.
daveb272 wrote: I was able to use a friend's tune msq's with some variations to fit my application, ie i have smaller injectors, narrowband o2 and some other stuff.
Somewhere i am loosing something durring the software change because if i manually input the fuel ve and the spark tables as per and older setup, and a quick run down of all the settings, I have a huge knock and ping under little to no load. Is that fuel, is it spark or both? I can only get a decent idle if i use a fixed spark trigger angle, but i still get the ping.
Any little bit helps, and i am very thankful. This has been a long ongoing project. I have gotten very little help from the board that got me into ms. I guess i was to much of a newbie to help.
Knock/ping is timing. Check the spark offsets, and if you are using time baased or trigger return. Put a timing light on the car and see where your timing is.
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix
daveb272
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by daveb272 »

djandruczyk wrote:
Knock/ping is timing. Check the spark offsets, and if you are using time baased or trigger return. Put a timing light on the car and see where your timing is.
If i have spark to go off of hall sensor in the dizzy, Is that trigger?
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

daveb272 wrote:
djandruczyk wrote:
If i have spark to go off of hall sensor in the dizzy, Is that trigger?

Does your megasquirt fire the coil(s), or is that part independant of the megasquirt? As for hall pickups depending on the wheel style you could have it configured with trigger return or time based. I suggest you re-read the megamanual for a refresher on the various ways to set things up...
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix
daveb272
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by daveb272 »

djandruczyk wrote:
daveb272 wrote:
Does your megasquirt fire the coil(s), or is that part independent of the megasquirt? As for hall pickups depending on the wheel style you could have it configured with trigger return or time based. I suggest you re-read the megamanual for a refresher on the various ways to set things up...
My mega squirt fires the single coil. I may have been wrong about the hall sensor, My "trigger" is wired in to the dizzy. I don't have points, i thought it had a hall sensor in it. It has been over two years since i built my ms and had the original settings from friends.

This is obviously not my DD, Its more or less a toy and a learning experience.

I definatley will be reading the mega manual this weekend to freshen up.