OBSOLETE 0.9.18 released, post bugs here...

Questions specific to Megatunix - alternate tuning software that runs on unix and windows.
Note that Megatunix is obsolete.

Moderator: djandruczyk

pinzgauer
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: 0.9.18 released, post bugs here...

Post by pinzgauer »

djandruczyk wrote:
Philip Lochner wrote: Once I've got it working I'm going to be bugging you to get my "AFRerror" gauges working but for now I just want to get things working.
I have a workaround for this: Just copy the O2 sensor table you want to use to the wideband table which is being selected by accident. I use a NB sensor, so for me it was just a matter of copying nbwhatever.inc to innovatewhatever.inc. I copied it to all the WB tables just to be safe, but it's incorrectly defaulting to one of them no matter what you select.

I did it in the system directory (.dist/Lookup) , as it will get overwritten once a new version is installed. But you could also do it in the personal directory. (Forget the naming convention on win32, it's one of the directories under the install location)

Once Dave told me what the bug was, it was an easy/sleazy workaround.

Have fun,

Alan
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

pinzgauer wrote:
djandruczyk wrote:
Philip Lochner wrote: Once I've got it working I'm going to be bugging you to get my "AFRerror" gauges working but for now I just want to get things working.
I have a workaround for this: Just copy the O2 sensor table you want to use to the wideband table which is being selected by accident. I use a NB sensor, so for me it was just a matter of copying nbwhatever.inc to innovatewhatever.inc. I copied it to all the WB tables just to be safe, but it's incorrectly defaulting to one of them no matter what you select.

I did it in the system directory (.dist/Lookup) , as it will get overwritten once a new version is installed. But you could also do it in the personal directory. (Forget the naming convention on win32, it's one of the directories under the install location)

Once Dave told me what the bug was, it was an easy/sleazy workaround.

Have fun,

Alan
There's an easier way, copy the new lookup table to C:\program files\megatunix\.megatunix\LookupTables (windows) or ~/.MegaTunix/LookupTables (unix/linux/OS-X)

In megatunix go to Tools->Lookuptables Setup, double click on the table middle column of the row that says "wb02_table", and it'll change to a dropdown menu, go to "Personal" and click on the file you put in place.. click anyplace else and it takes effect immediately. the settings will persist betwen runs of megatunix AGAINST THAT SAME FIRMWARE. If you use a different firmware (i.e one that uses a different interrogation profile, it'll use the defaults for that profile). You can tell if megatunix is using a system wide or personal profile by looking at the interrogation output on the general tab, if it says "Loading settings from C:\program files\megatunix\.dist\.... it's system wide, otherwise it would say c:\program files\.megatunix\.megatunix\... (personal override)

Now if you have your O2 sensor set to wideband, megatunix will use that table..

You can do this for any variable that uses a lookuptable, you can even add your own. (manual edit required to interrogation profile) for custom things like lookuptables to additional sensors connected on ADC6 and 7.
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix
Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Philip Lochner »

Thanks Dave

Somewhere there are serious discrepancies. My installed config file looks like this:
[Window]
hidden_tabs_list=
height=1005
width=1280

[Global]
major_ver=0
minor_ver=9
micro_ver=18
Tooltips=TRUE
Temp_Scale=82
dbg_lvl=0

[DataLogger]
preferred_delimiter=85

[Serial]
override_port=COM1
potential_ports=COM1,COM2,COM3,COM4,COM5,COM6,COM7,COM8,COM9
autodetect_port=TRUE
read_wait=10
baudrate=9600

[Logviewer]
zoom=0
scroll_delay=0

[MemViewer]
page0_style=90
page1_style=90
page2_style=90
page3_style=90
1) It does not have the statement "port_name=COMx"
2) Also with MS2 the baud rate should be 115200?
3) Another weird thing is that on my notebook pc the above starts with [MEmviewer] and ends with [Window] but on my desktop its just the other way round...
Kind regards
Philip
'74 Jensen Interceptor 440ci (EFI'ed with MS2 and wasted spark + GM 4L60e GPIO controlled - both on Extra FW)
Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Philip Lochner »

Never mind Dave, got it working on B&G 2.884 as follows:
[Serial]
override_port=COM5
potential_ports=COM5
autodetect_port=TRUE
read_wait=10
baudrate=115200
Now I'm going to bug you for my AFRerr gauge - on a different thread.
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

Don't worry about the baud rate, it auto-detects everytime, and just saves what it last used.

0.9.18 doesn't have much ms2 stuff in it, but 0.9.19 which I am still working on has a LOT more done on it. I hope to release it soon, don't want to do so right now, due to way too many loose ends, and I haven't done any regression testing yet.
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
pinzgauer
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by pinzgauer »

djandruczyk wrote: In megatunix go to Tools->Lookuptables Setup, double click on the table middle column of the row that says "wb02_table", and it'll change to a dropdown menu, go to "Personal" and click on the file you put in place.. click anyplace else and it takes effect immediately. the settings will persist betwen runs of megatunix AGAINST THAT SAME FIRMWARE. If you use a different firmware (i.e one that uses a different interrogation profile, it'll use the defaults for that profile).
So this will override the (previously broken) O2 lookup? Great, that's an easier fix. selecting the NB sensor from the system directory did not override the broken logic, but I did not try copying to the personal/custom dir. I was really missing accurate AFR's and just had to get it working, thus the brute force effort! :-)

On AFR error, I may have misunderstood the request. I use either egocorrection or Lambda as a crude facsimile. Would be handy to have a % error gauge.

Have fun,

Alan
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

pinzgauer wrote:
djandruczyk wrote: In megatunix go to Tools->Lookuptables Setup, double click on the table middle column of the row that says "wb02_table", and it'll change to a dropdown menu, go to "Personal" and click on the file you put in place.. click anyplace else and it takes effect immediately. the settings will persist betwen runs of megatunix AGAINST THAT SAME FIRMWARE. If you use a different firmware (i.e one that uses a different interrogation profile, it'll use the defaults for that profile).
So this will override the (previously broken) O2 lookup? Great, that's an easier fix. selecting the NB sensor from the system directory did not override the broken logic, but I did not try copying to the personal/custom dir. I was really missing accurate AFR's and just had to get it working, thus the brute force effort! :-)

On AFR error, I may have misunderstood the request. I use either egocorrection or Lambda as a crude facsimile. Would be handy to have a % error gauge.

Have fun,

Alan
define a "%error" gauge. waht variable(s) would it show and what's the math behind it? If you can describe that the rest is easy..
David J. Andruczyk
pinzgauer
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by pinzgauer »

djandruczyk wrote: define a "%error" gauge. what variable(s) would it show and what's the math behind it? If you can describe that the rest is easy..
Two ways you could do it:

(current_afr/target_afr)-1

or

(lambda-1

Both should be a percent error from stoich.

when using ego correction (or have it setup to at least report EGO correction) it is a rough approximation. IE: EGO_error should be roughly the same as the correction (ego_gamma?). That's what I use most of the time. But does not work for all installations.

Again, I get by without it using ego correction. Only gap is when we are not using ego correction (At idle, below temp, or WOT if configured that way). I don't know if this is exactly what the other person was asking for with ego_error. :-)

Have fun,

Alan
Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Philip Lochner »

GAUGEDESIGNER:

I open a gauge
edit it
save it (or use save as) choosing the same file I've just opened
it asks for confirmation if I want to overwrite the file
I say "yes".

Close it, open the same gauge again, expecting to see the changes I made, all gone. No changes to gauge saved.

If I save it to a new directory where the file is created the first time the gauge is saved with the changes, and it saves it with changes - but only on that first time save. Try edit that one again and again no changes saved.
Kind regards
Philip
'74 Jensen Interceptor 440ci (EFI'ed with MS2 and wasted spark + GM 4L60e GPIO controlled - both on Extra FW)
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

Philip Lochner wrote:GAUGEDESIGNER:

I open a gauge
edit it
save it (or use save as) choosing the same file I've just opened
it asks for confirmation if I want to overwrite the file
I say "yes".

Close it, open the same gauge again, expecting to see the changes I made, all gone. No changes to gauge saved.

If I save it to a new directory where the file is created the first time the gauge is saved with the changes, and it saves it with changes - but only on that first time save. Try edit that one again and again no changes saved.

What happens if you save, say yes, then EXIT and restart gaugedesigner and reload that gaugee, do the changes showup? I noticed a bug like this once, but then could never replicate it, so chalked it up to pebkac issue (problem exists between keyboard and chair). Will re-investigate the issue..

Just for the hell of it, check in C:\program files\megatunix.megatunix\Gauges to see if you "modified" one is there?

This is the tricky part. Megatunix is designed on linux, which has pretty strict security (well anything is strict compared to windows), but there's a pretty string distinction between "system" files and "personal" files. Windows is pretty grey on that.. Linux won't let "joe user" modify files installed into system directories (permissions prevent it), Thus gaugedesigner will default to ALWAYS saving in your PERSONAL (C:\program files\megatunix\.megatunix\gauges) tree of gauges, not the "system" path of c:\program files\megatunix\.dist\gauges, This way when megatunix is updated, your PERSONAL gauges are left alone, but system wide ones get updated with the current release, hence it's bad to modify a system wide gauge, as it may get erased on the next update.

Odds are you opened a system one (installed in c:\program files\megatunix\.dist\Gauges.... ) then saved it, and gaugedesigner stuck it in your personal area, then when you went to reopen it, gaugedesigner defaulted to the system path and you thought it lost the settings.
In the file open box, on the left are "aliases" to locations, you should see TWO called "Gauges". one is the system path (typically the top one), the other is the personal path. If you click on the second "Gauges" and go to your personal tree you should be able to find a gauge with the same filename as yours that'll be the one you want.

I need to find a way to make the alias have a custom name... this'll avoid that confusion....
David J. Andruczyk
Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Philip Lochner »

Aha, I was wondering why there seems to be a duplication of files in .MegTunix and the dist directories. That explains it somewhat.

I did not pay particular notice to which directory I was working in but I'm 99% sure it was in the dist directory. So if I understand correctly one should rather save all self designed gauges and dashes in the .megatunix directory?
Kind regards
Philip
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

Philip Lochner wrote:Aha, I was wondering why there seems to be a duplication of files in .MegTunix and the dist directories. That explains it somewhat.

I did not pay particular notice to which directory I was working in but I'm 99% sure it was in the dist directory. So if I understand correctly one should rather save all self designed gauges and dashes in the .megatunix directory?

yes, buy default it DOES that already. note the file path in the filechooser. So it defaults to saving in your PERSONAL folder every time, so if you edit a system gauge (which you can't write to on linux if unless you were "root") you can at least save it in your personal folders..

NOW here's the important bit. If you have the SAME GAUGE FILENAME in both system and personal, megatunix will load your PERSONAL ONE, as you overrode the defaults and it honors that. The only way to use the system one over a person is to either delete the personal one, or rename it, so it's now unique.

confusing at first, but if you think about it, it'll become more clear as to why it is done this way. (permissions in hte unix view was a driving factor).
David J. Andruczyk
Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Philip Lochner »

Not sure if this belongs to the "bugs" topic...

I connected MTx to my 2.884 MS and generated a back-up *.ECU file - attached. (Please note to rename the extention to *.ecu as this extention is not allowed to be uploaded)

I now open Mtx off-line, restore this file, see the data but when I try to go to 3D mode I get the attached error message.

3D did work when connected to MS though.
Kind regards
Philip
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

Philip Lochner wrote:Not sure if this belongs to the "bugs" topic...

I connected MTx to my 2.884 MS and generated a back-up *.ECU file - attached. (Please note to rename the extention to *.ecu as this extention is not allowed to be uploaded)

I now open Mtx off-line, restore this file, see the data but when I try to go to 3D mode I get the attached error message.

3D did work when connected to MS though.

That looks to be a windows/graphics issue. Not a megatunix bug AFAIK.
David J. Andruczyk
AAFA
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by AAFA »

Dave.

Well I am back again trying a new version of Megatunix on REL5 X86_64
./configure runs complete after meeting it requirements.
make runs a little while then errors out

Code: Select all

g++ -g -O2 -o megatunix 2d_table_editor.o 3d_vetable.o about_gui.o apicheck.o args.o comms.o comms_gui.o combo_loader.o combo_mask.o conversions.o core_gui.o dashboard.o dataio.o datamgmt.o datalogging_gui.o debugging.o dep_loader.o dep_processor.o dispatcher.o fileio.o firmware.o gui_handlers.o helpers.o init.o interrogate.o keybinder.o keyparser.o listmgmt.o locking.o logviewer_core.o logviewer_events.o logviewer_gui.o lookuptables.o main.o menu_handlers.o memory_gui.o multi_expr_loader.o mode_select.o notifications.o offline.o post_process.o raweditor.o req_fuel.o rtv_map_loader.o rtv_processor.o runtime_gui.o runtime_sliders.o runtime_status.o runtime_text.o serialio.o stringmatch.o tabloader.o tag_loader.o threads.o thermistor.o timeout_handlers.o t-logger.o tuning_gui.o user_outputs.o vetable_gui.o vex_support.o visibility.o warmwizard_gui.o widgetmgmt.o winserialio.o xmlcomm.o -pthread -Wl,--export-dynamic  -L/lib64 /usr/lib64/libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so /usr/lib64/libgdkglext-x11-1.0.so -lGLU -lGL -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE -lpangox-1.0 -lglade-2.0 ../mtxmatheval/.libs/libmtxmatheval.a -lfl ../mtxcommon/.libs/libmtxcommon.a ../widgets/.libs/libmtxgauge.a -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lgthread-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lxml2 -lz -lm   -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/lib64 -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/lib64
combo_mask.o: In function `mask_entry_set_background':
combo_mask.c:(.text+0x57): undefined reference to `g_regex_match_simple'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [megatunix] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/download/megatunix-0.9.18/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/download/megatunix-0.9.18'
make: *** [all] Error 2
Have you tried any 64 bit OS yet?
Attached Config.log

Anything else that might help ?

Bryan
If your like most Crew Chiefs remember the drivers are like spark plugs burn one up just screw in another! ( I think Austin Coil said that once!! :)

71 Road Runner 383 4sp megasquirted!!! Now can I get it run run on Nitro :)
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

AAFA wrote:Dave.

g++ -g -O2 -o megatunix 2d_table_editor.o 3d_vetable.o about_gui.o apicheck.o args.o comms.o comms_gui.o combo_loader.o combo_mask.o conversions.o core_gui.o dashboard.o dataio.o datamgmt.o datalogging_gui.o debugging.o dep_loader.o dep_processor.o dispatcher.o fileio.o firmware.o gui_handlers.o helpers.o init.o interrogate.o keybinder.o keyparser.o listmgmt.o locking.o logviewer_core.o logviewer_events.o logviewer_gui.o lookuptables.o main.o menu_handlers.o memory_gui.o multi_expr_loader.o mode_select.o notifications.o offline.o post_process.o raweditor.o req_fuel.o rtv_map_loader.o rtv_processor.o runtime_gui.o runtime_sliders.o runtime_status.o runtime_text.o serialio.o stringmatch.o tabloader.o tag_loader.o threads.o thermistor.o timeout_handlers.o t-logger.o tuning_gui.o user_outputs.o vetable_gui.o vex_support.o visibility.o warmwizard_gui.o widgetmgmt.o winserialio.o xmlcomm.o -pthread -Wl,--export-dynamic  -L/lib64 /usr/lib64/libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so /usr/lib64/libgdkglext-x11-1.0.so -lGLU -lGL -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE -lpangox-1.0 -lglade-2.0 ../mtxmatheval/.libs/libmtxmatheval.a -lfl ../mtxcommon/.libs/libmtxcommon.a ../widgets/.libs/libmtxgauge.a -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lgthread-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lxml2 -lz -lm   -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/lib64 -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/lib64
Attached Config.log

Bryan
Aww crap. I used something "too new" from glib. that call is new in glib 2.14, and last time I checked RHEL5 it was in the "ancient" category and IRHEL5 uses glib-2.12.x. I'll see what I can do to make it work with the older glib release.
David J. Andruczyk
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

djandruczyk wrote:
AAFA wrote:Dave.

Attached Config.log

Bryan
Aww crap. I used something "too new" from glib. that call is new in glib 2.14, and last time I checked RHEL5 it was in the "ancient" category and IRHEL5 uses glib-2.12.x. I'll see what I can do to make it work with the older glib release.

I've created a backwards compatible versio nso it should build on RHEL5 now. (At least that part).

if possible use CVS and checkout the tag "PRE_0_9_19-branch" and see if that compiles
David J. Andruczyk
AAFA
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by AAFA »

Dave have not had chance to get CVS yet for red hat system.

I did get megatunix running on a older dell c640 running Ubuntu 8.04.2 and was trying to log a run and when I try and select variables megatunix crashes 9.18

I found the log fix in this thread RTFT :oops:
If your like most Crew Chiefs remember the drivers are like spark plugs burn one up just screw in another! ( I think Austin Coil said that once!! :)

71 Road Runner 383 4sp megasquirted!!! Now can I get it run run on Nitro :)
tvh
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by tvh »

Here's a couple of bugs that I've found:

on Cranking/Warmup tab when Celsius degrees is selected:

"Use fixed ASE/MAP when CLT below" problem with F -> C conversion, I tried to enter 60 degrees C, burned to ecu, and after burning, the value changes to 16.

"Advance 1 deg every" shows Fahrenheit even if Celsius degrees is selected. Same thing with "Retard 1 deg" selection.

Spark Table:
"Trim Angle" value shows 88 degrees, I think it should show zero in this case. I cannot confirm the real value because my hdd crashed and I lost the original settings created in Megatune.
Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9
MS2-Extra, 36-1,wheel decoder, wasted spark
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

tvh wrote:Here's a couple of bugs that I've found:

on Cranking/Warmup tab when Celsius degrees is selected:

"Use fixed ASE/MAP when CLT below" problem with F -> C conversion, I tried to enter 60 degrees C, burned to ecu, and after burning, the value changes to 16.

"Advance 1 deg every" shows Fahrenheit even if Celsius degrees is selected. Same thing with "Retard 1 deg" selection.

Spark Table:
"Trim Angle" value shows 88 degrees, I think it should show zero in this case. I cannot confirm the real value because my hdd crashed and I lost the original settings created in Megatune.

Which firmware version used EXACTLY? IS this with megatunix 0.9.18 or CVS pre-0.9.19
David J. Andruczyk