User manual for Megatunix

Questions specific to Megatunix - alternate tuning software that runs on unix and windows.
Note that Megatunix is obsolete.

Moderator: djandruczyk

Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

User manual for Megatunix

Post by Philip Lochner »

Now that Megatunix has "come of age" ( ie supports MS2) I recon a usermanual of sorts is required for MTx. Here is what I've got out of David thus far and as more becomes known, I'ld edit this list and try and keep it current (until a real manual comes along :D ) - unless "the man himself" could find the time to do so.

When dash has focus
  • Q/q quits
    F/f fullscreens the dash
    R/s hides/shows the runtime text window (textual list of rt vars)
    S/s hides/shows the runtime status window (CONNECTED,CRANKING,etc..)
    M/m hides/shows the main megatunix window
For textual controls (text entries, spinbuttons)
  • q/+ increments
    PgUp increments by a larger amount
    w/- decrements
    PgDn dcrements by a larger amount
    You can alwasy highlight and type over
Combo boxes
Arrows (up/dn) change change the settings, you can also TYPE in a portion of it and it'll show completions, if you get enough of the match it'll auto-select it.

3D display
  • Arrows navigate
    q/w+/-/Pgup/Pgdn alter individual vertexes
    Holding Control while hittign an increment or decrement char (i.e Ctrl Pgup) raises an ENTIRE ROW by the incrementation value (i.e. q/w/+/- is usually 1, Pgup/Dn is usually 10x that.
    Holding Alt likewise does the same thing but for a COLUMN
    Ctrl/ALT + edit is useful to change a large number of values at once
Questions:
1) What does "When dash has focus" mean?
2) How can I make the dash appear / disappear? (Like m makes MTx appear/disappear. )
3) Can I do this while dash is in full screen mode? (this would be nice if I quickly want to change something but want to come right back to full screen dash after having done so. Basically I want m to bring the main MTx window in front of the dash which is already in full screen mode)
4) When the dash is active (with MTx "behind" it) hitting m makes MTx appear and disappear but MTx stays behind the dash where its of no use to me. Can I make it appear in front of the dash (or hide the dash while MTx is in front)?
5) Can I change values of the focus (ie tune) while in 3D wireframe mode (as can be done in MT)?

More to come as I become familiar with MTx...
Kind regards
Philip
'74 Jensen Interceptor 440ci (EFI'ed with MS2 and wasted spark + GM 4L60e GPIO controlled - both on Extra FW)
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Re: User manual for Megatunix

Post by djandruczyk »

Philip Lochner wrote:Now that Megatunix has "come of age" ( ie supports MS2) I recon a usermanual of sorts is required for MTx. Here is what I've got out of David thus far and as more becomes known, I'ld edit this list and try and keep it current (until a real manual comes along :D ) - unless "the man himself" could find the time to do so.

When dash has focus
  • Q/q quits
    F/f fullscreens the dash
    R/s hides/shows the runtime text window (textual list of rt vars)
    S/s hides/shows the runtime status window (CONNECTED,CRANKING,etc..)
    M/m hides/shows the main megatunix window
For textual controls (text entries, spinbuttons)
  • q/+ increments
    PgUp increments by a larger amount
    w/- decrements
    PgDn dcrements by a larger amount
    You can alwasy highlight and type over
Combo boxes
Arrows (up/dn) change change the settings, you can also TYPE in a portion of it and it'll show completions, if you get enough of the match it'll auto-select it.

3D display
  • Arrows navigate
    q/w+/-/Pgup/Pgdn alter individual vertexes
    Holding Control while hittign an increment or decrement char (i.e Ctrl Pgup) raises an ENTIRE ROW by the incrementation value (i.e. q/w/+/- is usually 1, Pgup/Dn is usually 10x that.
    Holding Alt likewise does the same thing but for a COLUMN
    Ctrl/ALT + edit is useful to change a large number of values at once
Questions:
1) What does "When dash has focus" mean?
2) How can I make the dash appear / disappear? (Like m makes MTx appear/disappear. )
3) Can I do this while dash is in full screen mode? (this would be nice if I quickly want to change something but want to come right back to full screen dash after having done so. Basically I want m to bring the main MTx window in front of the dash which is already in full screen mode)
4) When the dash is active (with MTx "behind" it) hitting m makes MTx appear and disappear but MTx stays behind the dash where its of no use to me. Can I make it appear in front of the dash (or hide the dash while MTx is in front)?
5) Can I change values of the focus (ie tune) while in 3D wireframe mode (as can be done in MT)?

More to come as I become familiar with MTx...

Answers:
1. "Dash has focus" has a couple of meanings depending on your OS/setup. Typially it means input focus, i.e. click on it to give it focus. For those who installed a windows powertweak toy called "X-mouse" you can tell it so focus follows the mouse (without needing to click in the window). I have my linux box setup that way, so I just need to move the mouse over a gauge and it has "focus".

2. There is no global key key to hit/show the dash., it's set via the general tab, clic kthe checkbox and hte dash is removed, but it requires more work to bring it back. I'll see what I can do to setup a global accelerator key within megatunix to hide/ show a dash (when one is active)

3. not currently possible, unless you count hitting F to unfullscreen it so the megatunix window is now (hopefully) visible.

4. Someone complained about the dash always disappearing behind other windows, so I made it "stay on top", (like windows's task manager). I can turn this off, but it might confuse other users..

5. Focuis is dependant on window the mouse has been clicked in last (or where it is in focus follows mouse setups). I don't quite understand what you want, so please elaborate.. I never liked mt's 3d tuining view, I always found it very cumbersome and confusing. (not that mine is much better)

I stand corrected, there IS some manuals on megatunix. Phil Ringwood of MSnS-Extra wrote them. I haven't verified them for accurace however, and several of hte screenshots may not line up with the forthcoming 0.9.19, as the guis have been improved quite a bit, but they are still an excellent resource...
http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra ... _Index.htm
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix
Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Philip Lochner »

djandruczyk wrote: 2. There is no global key key to hit/show the dash., it's set via the general tab, clic kthe checkbox and hte dash is removed, but it requires more work to bring it back. I'll see what I can do to setup a global accelerator key within megatunix to hide/ show a dash (when one is active)
Please, with a cherry on top!
3. not currently possible, unless you count hitting F to unfullscreen it so the megatunix window is now (hopefully) visible
Yes the MTx is visible but the unfullscreen dash is still on top of the MTx window. Hence the request for 2.
djandruczyk wrote: 4. Someone complained about the dash always disappearing behind other windows, so I made it "stay on top", (like windows's task manager). I can turn this off, but it might confuse other users..
I can see the merit for keeping the dash on top, but in the very short time I've been using it, I fould it cumbersome to get the main MTx window on top - basically have to kill dash and then follow the general tab procedure to get it back. A global key as per 2 would solve this problem.
djandruczyk wrote: 5. Focuis is dependant on window the mouse has been clicked in last (or where it is in focus follows mouse setups). I don't quite understand what you want, so please elaborate.. I never liked mt's 3d tuining view, I always found it very cumbersome and confusing. (not that mine is much better)
I think I confused you with my use of the term "focus" in this question. I am referring to the red cross in MTune's 3D tuning windows. With MT, I ONLY tune in the 3D view but with it set to 2D using the z key - as if viewed directly from the above. The reason I do this is because then I can see how accurately my green spot is on the value being tuned - otherwise the adjacent cells are influencing the result too much. So, while keeping my green dot as close to the red dot as possible, I then tune that value up or down (not worrying about what value it has) using the shft up/down or ctrl-shft up/down keys, while watching my AFRerr gauge to get it to hover around 0. Using g, the red dot will jump automatically to the nearest vertex of operation, so just its easy to make it go to the next cell I want to tune. I'm simply hoping for similar functionality in MTx.

I can see that the 3D view can be confusing (specially the timing map - which tends to have a very high 3D perspective) but using the M and N keys to view the 3D map from different horizontal and vertical angles by turning/rotating the view helps me to overcome that problem - not forgetting the 2D view of course. Very effective indeed. Can one rotate the 3D maps likewise in MTx?

I'll have a read of the existing manuals as there must be a lot of commonality with current MTx releases.
Kind regards
Philip
'74 Jensen Interceptor 440ci (EFI'ed with MS2 and wasted spark + GM 4L60e GPIO controlled - both on Extra FW)
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

Philip Lochner wrote: I think I confused you with my use of the term "focus" in this question. I am referring to the red cross in MTune's 3D tuning windows. With MT, I ONLY tune in the 3D view but with it set to 2D using the z key - as if viewed directly from the above. The reason I do this is because then I can see how accurately my green spot is on the value being tuned - otherwise the adjacent cells are influencing the result too much. So, while keeping my green dot as close to the red dot as possible, I then tune that value up or down (not worrying about what value it has) using the shft up/down or ctrl-shft up/down keys, while watching my AFRerr gauge to get it to hover around 0. Using g, the red dot will jump automatically to the nearest vertex of operation, so just its easy to make it go to the next cell I want to tune. I'm simply hoping for similar functionality in MTx.

I can see that the 3D view can be confusing (specially the timing map - which tends to have a very high 3D perspective) but using the M and N keys to view the 3D map from different horizontal and vertical angles by turning/rotating the view helps me to overcome that problem - not forgetting the 2D view of course. Very effective indeed. Can one rotate the 3D maps likewise in MTx?

I'll have a read of the existing manuals as there must be a lot of commonality with current MTx releases.

Just enable focus follows vertex with most weight, and you edit point tracks the vertex where the engine is. This way the red dot stays with the "most influential" vertex. the 4 squares over the vertexes used for the fuel calc (if not on a vertex the value is the linear interpolation between the two nearest) indicate their "relative weight", the more red it is, the more infleuntial it is, and thus the best to edit in most circumstances..

Rotate the map with the mouse, click and drag. That part in my opinion is one of the best parts of the 3D display, as it lets you view the table from any perspective.
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix
Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Philip Lochner »

djandruczyk wrote: Rotate the map with the mouse, click and drag. That part in my opinion is one of hte best parts of the 3D display, as it lets you view the table from any perspective.
:yeah!:
Kind regards
Philip