linux terminal/lcd or thin client anyone?

Questions specific to Megatunix - alternate tuning software that runs on unix and windows.
Note that Megatunix is obsolete.

Moderator: djandruczyk

dan catalyst
MS/Extra Newbie

linux terminal/lcd or thin client anyone?

Post by dan catalyst »

i just picked up a 7.8'' touchscreen lcd off ebay.its a pharos omega, and it runs on linux.it has a vga cable, a serial port and a couple usb ports.the thing is about the size of a wireless router,and has the screen built in.im hoping to run megatunix on it, or at least use it as a monitor from a thin client under the seat.if you dont know what these things are, spend a couple minutes with google,and see what im talking about.places have these things for $5 used and they come running some form of linux,might be a cheap way to have linux and a 7.8' display onboard.
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Re: linux terminal/lcd or thin client anyone?

Post by djandruczyk »

dan catalyst wrote:i just picked up a 7.8'' touchscreen lcd off ebay.its a pharos omega, and it runs on linux.it has a vga cable, a serial port and a couple usb ports.the thing is about the size of a wireless router,and has the screen built in.im hoping to run megatunix on it, or at least use it as a monitor from a thin client under the seat.if you dont know what these things are, spend a couple minutes with google,and see what im talking about.places have these things for $5 used and they come running some form of linux,might be a cheap way to have linux and a 7.8' display onboard.

it may not have the horsepower to run megatunix, depends on the CPU it has. It could potentially be used as a remote display (connected to something headless and faster that could run megatunix like a micro-itx board) utilizing something like nxclient/nxserver (nomachine.com). The gauges and whatnot do require a decent video card to get good performance out of them,
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix