So I started to compile megatunix on my iphone...

Questions specific to Megatunix - alternate tuning software that runs on unix and windows.
Note that Megatunix is obsolete.

Moderator: djandruczyk

Big Thurs
Helpful MS/Extra'er

So I started to compile megatunix on my iphone...

Post by Big Thurs »

Long story short, I keep ending up with "error: C compiler cannot create executables" after running the config script: ./configure CC=$DEVROOT/usr/bin/arm-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1 LD=$DEVROOT/usr/bin/ld --host=arm-apple-darwin

The device is a jailbroken iphone 3gs running 3.1.2fw. I am using the gcc toolchain from the cydia repos with fake-libgcc v1.0, which is not in the repos but essential for the gcc toolchain in the >3.0 firmwares.

I have attached the log file and would greatly appreciate any assistance, as I'm not a programmer and have had little luck compiling various programs in linux in the past. Could this be a simple permission issue with the compiler? Also, has anybody tried doing this yet? I know there has been success compiling unix apps on the iphone with this compiler, just nothing like megatunix...yet. :mrgreen:
91 MR2 Turbo on V3 MSNE-e HR11d
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: So I started to compile megatunix on my iphone...

Post by jsmcortina »

I can't help, but that could be a very handy and pretty tuning device if you get it working.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

Big Thurs wrote:Long story short, I keep ending up with "error: C compiler cannot create executables" after running the config script: ./configure CC=$DEVROOT/usr/bin/arm-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1 LD=$DEVROOT/usr/bin/ld --host=arm-apple-darwin

The device is a jailbroken iphone 3gs running 3.1.2fw. I am using the gcc toolchain from the cydia repos with fake-libgcc v1.0, which is not in the repos but essential for the gcc toolchain in the >3.0 firmwares.

I have attached the log file and would greatly appreciate any assistance, as I'm not a programmer and have had little luck compiling various programs in linux in the past. Could this be a simple permission issue with the compiler? Also, has anybody tried doing this yet? I know there has been success compiling unix apps on the iphone with this compiler, just nothing like megatunix...yet. :mrgreen:

Cross compiling with auto-conf is a pain in the ass..

NOTE:L megaTunix REQUIRES an X11 environment, AFAIK I haven't heard of one on the iphone, you may want to look into that before getting too far.

For my windows builds I have a handful of scripts used to override certain environment variables, PM me and I'l put together a zip of what I use. NOTE: you WILL have to edit it a lot to suit your iphone development).
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix
Big Thurs
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Big Thurs »

Wow I feel kind of dumb for not thinking about the X11 issue. The core libraries have been ported to the iphone, but I doubt that will get me very far. I just figured that somebody has got to start somewhere with this tuning on the iphone concept and even if this is over my head, hopefully some other people will have some advice and we can get the ball rolling.
I found an interesting post on macrumors concerning x11:
iSSH 3.0 will have an X Server and window manager integrated with the iPhone UI. Expected release is anywhere from either the end of April or May.
Seems like there is an interest in porting x11 to the iphone os, so we'll see...
In the meantime, there are still more issues to be addressed , such as serial communications, cable construction, and revising the ui for this device, so compiling is merely a starting point.

BTW I'm compiling directly on the iphone

Edit: I just noticed that /usr/bin/arm-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1 doesn't exist in my file system...could be why it cannot seem to find it!
Big Thurs
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Big Thurs »

Alright, making progress. Luckily, flex and bison were already ported so that was easy. I also manually put some missing header files on the phone. Now I'm stuck with a missing gtk+-2.0 error. Seems I am lacking the gtk+-2.0.pc file...

Anyways here is the latest config.log if anyone is interested
config.log
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

Big Thurs wrote:Alright, making progress. Luckily, flex and bison were already ported so that was easy. I also manually put some missing header files on the phone. Now I'm stuck with a missing gtk+-2.0 error. Seems I am lacking the gtk+-2.0.pc file...

Anyways here is the latest config.log if anyone is interested
config.log

You'll need a full GTK+ environment built for that target and windowing system. Last I checked it wasn't available.
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

What you need to do is install the iPhone SDK on a Mac (or a Hack) and bring up the source in XCode, then it's going to need to be migrated from GTK to Apple's libraries. GTK wouldn't be very (if at all) multitouch friendly, nor is it optimized for that display size/resolution/shape.. I see the GUI getting a complete re-work, I think Apple's development tools for the GUI are light years ahead of what GTK has, so it should be far easier than in the past.
If I could code my way out of a wet paper bag, I'd be working on this right now.
One thing we really need is an RS232 to 802.11 adapter, so that the iPhone/iPad can connect to the MS via an ad-hoc network. That's how the other automotive (OBD2) software on the iPhone is doing it.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

UnaClocker wrote:What you need to do is install the iPhone SDK on a Mac (or a Hack) and bring up the source in XCode, then it's going to need to be migrated from GTK to Apple's libraries. GTK wouldn't be very (if at all) multitouch friendly, nor is it optimized for that display size/resolution/shape.. I see the GUI getting a complete re-work, I think Apple's development tools for the GUI are light years ahead of what GTK has, so it should be far easier than in the past.
If I could code my way out of a wet paper bag, I'd be working on this right now.
One thing we really need is an RS232 to 802.11 adapter, so that the iPhone/iPad can connect to the MS via an ad-hoc network. That's how the other automotive (OBD2) software on the iPhone is doing it.

Megatunix already has a TCP socket mode (which is more kludgy than I'd like currently) that is designed to connect to a remote instance. Even though Apple's gui tlolkit may be more advanced (possibly), it's apple ONLY, hence locks to only one platform, which goes against what I had planned (cross platform tuning software). Feel free to start from base MTX code, but honor the license (GPL v2), as it will be a derivative work, and I'll be happy to give you info on the code when you have questions...
David J. Andruczyk
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Yeah, I love the GPL, and if I were to somehow come up with the skills to do it, I'd definitely share the changes. With how unique the handheld/portable environment is, it may be best to have the code forked off for these type of devices, if for no other reason than the need to optimize it for this specific environment.
I can totally imagine how I'd want this to work, with the multitouch, it'd be easy to resize each gauge with the pinch gestures, and very fast to drag the gauges around to whatever orientation you want, and then some more multitouch you could resize the whole cluster. Double tap on any gauge and it comes up larger than life (full screen, maybe larger, as I've seen other tuner apps do (follow the needle in 3d mode). Hold a finger on any gauge and it pulls up the configuration dialog for that gauge.. Yeah, plenty of good ideas.. :yeah!:
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

UnaClocker wrote:Yeah, I love the GPL, and if I were to somehow come up with the skills to do it, I'd definitely share the changes. With how unique the handheld/portable environment is, it may be best to have the code forked off for these type of devices, if for no other reason than the need to optimize it for this specific environment.
I can totally imagine how I'd want this to work, with the multitouch, it'd be easy to resize each gauge with the pinch gestures, and very fast to drag the gauges around to whatever orientation you want, and then some more multitouch you could resize the whole cluster. Double tap on any gauge and it comes up larger than life (full screen, maybe larger, as I've seen other tuner apps do (follow the needle in 3d mode). Hold a finger on any gauge and it pulls up the configuration dialog for that gauge.. Yeah, plenty of good ideas.. :yeah!:

Get to work, I'd like to see it, even if i'd have to watch a youtube vid due to my lack of HW... :yeah!:
David J. Andruczyk