spark tables showing TPS load verses MAP load?

Questions specific to Megatunix - alternate tuning software that runs on unix and windows.
Note that Megatunix is obsolete.

Moderator: djandruczyk

StevenD57
Helpful MS/Extra'er

spark tables showing TPS load verses MAP load?

Post by StevenD57 »

I am initially going to be using a MS1 v2.2 board to get EDIS ignition working on my 1973 Jensen-Healey
and then at a later date adding in the fuel injection bits to the mix once I get the ignition sorted.

I just updated from Megatunix 0.9.19 to 0.9.22 yesterday by pulling a copy from git and building it here
on my Fedora9 desktop system. I think with the older 0.9.19 version of the software I was running
before the load axis for the spark tables was in Kph but now after starting the program for the
first time when I click on the Spark tables button on the left hand edge of the main window it initially
shows MAP Bins & Kph for two or three seconds. However it then switches to TPS Bins and TPSADC.
Then unless I exit and restart the software I never see Map Bins and Kph again when I switch to
viewing the spark tables. I do not see a configuration option anywhere to choose the MAP as the
verticla load axis for the spark tables rather than TPS. That being said the actual numerical values
shown along the vertical axis of the spark table does not change when it switches to TPSADC
instead of Kph.

I will be setting this up with a MAP signal for the ignition only part of this conversion and I will be
only adding the TPS after I go to EFI. Is it normal that this will not let me see a MAP based load
table for spark?

I guess is I have to I can downgrade back to 0.9.19 or 0.9.21 if I have to.
--
Steven DuChene
Jaguar E-Types, modified Merkur XR4Ti, Jensen-Healey
Linux = no virii or spyware, EVER
StevenD57
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: spark tables showing TPS load verses MAP load?

Post by StevenD57 »

I just tried uninstalling 0.9.22 and re-installing 0.9.19 and it seems my vertical load axis
in the spark table and the VE table is permanently stuck at TPS rather than MAP based.
How can I fix this? Is it possibly to run MAP only based load sensing on an ignition only
setup with a MS1 v2.2 board with MSnExtra 029v4 code?
--
Steven DuChene
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

StevenD57 wrote:I just tried uninstalling 0.9.22 and re-installing 0.9.19 and it seems my vertical load axis
in the spark table and the VE table is permanently stuck at TPS rather than MAP based.
How can I fix this? Is it possibly to run MAP only based load sensing on an ignition only
setup with a MS1 v2.2 board with MSnExtra 029v4 code?
--
Steven DuChene

This is likely just a bug in the display. I'll look further to see why it is flipping over to the TPS values (It would if you have it set to Alpha-N mode versus SD (Speed Density).)
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix
StevenD57
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by StevenD57 »

Ah, I did not know setting the system for Alpha-N would change the load tables to be based on TPS rather than MAP.
I know it seems obvious now but I am kind of new at this. I changed it back to Speed-Density and now I have MAP
based load calculations. I tried the TunerStudio software before you replied to this and it showed the MAP based
load calculations rather than the TPS based ones. What happens with the load calculations if I choose to enable
using a MAF sensor? Should the system use Speed Density or Alpha-N if I select the MAF option under Advanced Options?
Or is that independent from those selections? How does a MAF hooked to X7 interface with the rest of the fuel calculations?
Also if a MAF is selected where does the flow verses voltage table for a particular MAF meter get input into the system?
StevenD57
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by StevenD57 »

Just an FYI, I just brought up TunerStudio and tried setting the Control Algorithm there
to Alpha-N but that did not change the load axis in the spark & VE tables to TPS based.
It is still set to MAP / Kph.
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

StevenD57 wrote:Just an FYI, I just brought up TunerStudio and tried setting the Control Algorithm there
to Alpha-N but that did not change the load axis in the spark & VE tables to TPS based.
It is still set to MAP / Kph.
That is normal. TS and megatune don't have that capability. The type of fuel load sensing algorithm has to be set elsewhere in TS/Megatune (settings.ini?). Since megatunix does NOT use the megatune.ini config files which have an ugly dependency to other MT/TS specific file it's not restricted to behaving like MT/TS. Megatunix's gui is adaptive (as possible) based on controls set in the ecus firmware. Thus if you set your fuel algorithm to Alpha-N, Mtx tries to reset the tables, labels and math conversion functions appropriate to that change. TS/MT cannot do that and thus the user gets confused. In this case, my attempt to make it more intuitive (adaptive gui) failed.

I know VERY LITTLE about MAF usage on MS-1 Extra. I don't believe it's well documented, thoguh this may have changed since I last looked. Unless you are an expert I suggest staying away from it.

I don't expect TS/MT to change here, they are married to the config file format they have, which works for them, but doesn't provide as optimal a user experience, thus forcing the the user to close MT/TS, and go find some hidden ini file and manually edit it to use a different fuel algorithm or map sensor type, this is all automatic in Megatunix, and was one of my design goals.
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

ini editing is not required with TunerStudio - changing those settings is through the graphical user interface.

In Megatune the difficult to use "configurator" could be used to do those tasks.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
StevenD57
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by StevenD57 »

djandruczyk wrote:I know VERY LITTLE about MAF usage on MS-1 Extra. I don't believe it's well documented, thoguh this may have changed since I last looked. Unless you are an expert I suggest staying away from it.
Well I am an expert in working with altering OEM ECU (Merkur XR4Ti with EEC-IV and Vane Air Meter) to work with a hot wire mass air meter but I am very new to Megasquirt tuning & modifications. I have done a lot of tuning and study around the hot wire MAF units in general use today and how their characteristics are dependent on the type of air flow directly ahead and behind the actual meter body.

Is the use of a MAF more generally developed in the MS2 unit or MS2Extra code?
--
Steven DuChene
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

StevenD57 wrote:
djandruczyk wrote:I know VERY LITTLE about MAF usage on MS-1 Extra. I don't believe it's well documented, thoguh this may have changed since I last looked. Unless you are an expert I suggest staying away from it.
Well I am an expert in working with altering OEM ECU (Merkur XR4Ti with EEC-IV and Vane Air Meter) to work with a hot wire mass air meter but I am very new to Megasquirt tuning & modifications. I have done a lot of tuning and study around the hot wire MAF units in general use today and how their characteristics are dependent on the type of air flow directly ahead and behind the actual meter body.

Is the use of a MAF more generally developed in the MS2 unit or MS2Extra code?
--
Steven DuChene
james (jsmcortina) would be the one to ask that Q regarding MAP.
David J. Andruczyk