looking for ipod touch, iphone or ipad

Questions specific to Megatunix - alternate tuning software that runs on unix and windows.
Note that Megatunix is obsolete.

Moderator: djandruczyk

Turboswede
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: looking for ipod touch, iphone or ipad

Post by Turboswede »

djandruczyk wrote:
UnaClocker wrote:Make any progress with the iPhone I sent you?

I did a little, but then got blocked due to apple making it next to impossible to use any external devices with it unless either "approved by apple (big money, lots of time) or if it's WIFI, and so far I haven't located an affordable wifi/rs232 ready made device. I could make it work with a hacker board, but it requires jailbreaking the end user's phone and I don't know how many people are willing to do that.

I think most of the 'Squirt-heads here wouldn't have a problem Jailbreaking their phones/devices if it meant you could tune your car with your iPhone/iPad, etc.

With the proper 'break, an iOS device still works just fine and it opens up a world of apps you didn't have before. Basically it makes the device more like an Android, for good and bad reasons.

If you'd like to play with a iPhone 3G, let me know I have one available. I'd love to be able to Datalog the MegaSquirt and use the sensors in the phone to collect vehicle performance data.

Using something like RaceRender to combine the data with video content would make for some wicked cool videos to show friends and family.

BTW, I think you can hack a factory iPhone cable to get around the hardware handshake a little by using the dock connector with the proprietary chip built into it. I'll have to find some links to how to do this.

Really appreciate the work you're doing on this, it really helps make using MegaSquirt that much easier.
24c
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 24c »

Turboswede wrote: BTW, I think you can hack a factory iPhone cable to get around the hardware handshake a little by using the dock connector with the proprietary chip built into it.
This is for Cisco boxes, a serial cable to RJ45, pinouts on the net, and about $70.
They also do an evaluation board, but they have not responded to the webmail yet, keeps kicking back an error on me though.
Yamaha GTS1000 v2 MicroSquirt, B&G 2.891
Yamaha GTS1000 v3 beta MicroSquirt, B&G3.760
Yamaha GTS1000 MSExtra 3.1, Dual VR Board
Yamaha YZF1000 MSExtra 3.1
68pishta
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 68pishta »

The bluetooth to ttl boards are 7 bucks now shipped from china. Im getting one shipped for testing. My issue is the 3.3v they quote (up to 7 tolerated But they have 5v models for $4 more?) but my question is can i just pin it'S Tx/Rx (Ttl) through to the MS bypassing (removing) the max232 chip i socketed? Does the max232 chip output ttl on pins 11,12? I can get the vcc to the board via pin 16's stable 5v. Looks like RS232 specs show a ttl output of 3-35v anyway.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

68pishta wrote:The bluetooth to ttl boards are 7 bucks now shipped from china. Im getting one shipped for testing. My issue is the 3.3v they quote (up to 7 tolerated But they have 5v models for $4 more?) but my question is can i just pin it'S Tx/Rx (Ttl) through to the MS bypassing (removing) the max232 chip i socketed? Does the max232 chip output ttl on pins 11,12? I can get the vcc to the board via pin 16's stable 5v. Looks like RS232 specs show a ttl output of 3-35v anyway.

The issue is IOS will not work with any BT device that has not been "blessed" by Apple (bring your wallet) I don't think the BTserial support even exists.
Forget serial via BT. Wifi will probably be faster/more reliable anyway.

OTOH I run Android-x86 on my laptop and plug a USB cable into my MS3, picks up and uses the FTDI driver or BT without any fuss.
With class1 BT devices at both ends I get a true 300' range outdoors.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
24c
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 24c »

I have just ordered a RedBear Mini, and it uses Bluetooth 4 or BLE, so the wallet squeezing MFI related comment isn't relevant anymore,
The issue is IOS will not work with any BT device that has not been "blessed" by Apple (bring your wallet)
BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) allows devices to talk to iOS and vice versa without having to sign up to anything. The RedBear unit has a Github and a few examples, which might interest tinkerers out there.

Out of curiosity, any news on the iOS projects that have been started? Jay Coggin & Dave W?
Yamaha GTS1000 v2 MicroSquirt, B&G 2.891
Yamaha GTS1000 v3 beta MicroSquirt, B&G3.760
Yamaha GTS1000 MSExtra 3.1, Dual VR Board
Yamaha YZF1000 MSExtra 3.1