Megatunix Crashing

Questions specific to Megatunix - alternate tuning software that runs on unix and windows.
Note that Megatunix is obsolete.

Moderator: djandruczyk

cewjim
MS/Extra Newbie

Megatunix Crashing

Post by cewjim »

I am running MegaTunix 0.9.22 on a Windows XP Professional machine connected to an MS1 running 029y4. Whenever I attempt to collect data with the data logging feature, the program crashes.

I have attached the crash report. It is not formatted very well. I am sorry for this, but this is what I got from cut and paste of the text. If there is a way to get this file to the forum in a better format, please let me know. Of course, I don't even know if this file is useful.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Re: Megatunix Crashing

Post by djandruczyk »

cewjim wrote:I am running MegaTunix 0.9.22 on a Windows XP Professional machine connected to an MS1 running 029y4. Whenever I attempt to collect data with the data logging feature, the program crashes.

I have attached the crash report. It is not formatted very well. I am sorry for this, but this is what I got from cut and paste of the text. If there is a way to get this file to the forum in a better format, please let me know. Of course, I don't even know if this file is useful.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
Windows's crash reports are useless to me. Please describe the EXACT sequence of events needed to re-create the crash.
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix
cewjim
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by cewjim »

Dave,

I thought the crash report might be useless, but I thought I would give it a shot anyhow.

Here is the sequence of events:

Boot computer
Key on vehicle
Open Megatunix and wait for "Ready ..."
Click DataLogging
Click Select Log File and click Save accepting default
***Note: Default values here were MegaSquirtnSpark-Extra_029yx-2010_09_20_0852.log in MTX_Datalogs dir
Click Start Custom Logging
Receive "Megatunix Software has encountered a problem ..." dialog

With the same process, but clicking the Write Internal Log to Disk button will produce the same result.

Also, I noted that after selecting the log file the message in the window will show messages regarding 250 samples logged, 500 samples logged, etc... It isn't until I select "Start Custom Logging" or "Write Internal Log to Disk" button that I encounter a problem.

Computer information:

Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3
Mobile Intel Pentium
4 - M CPU 1.80GHz
1.18GHz, 512 MB of RAM

I would be happy to provide any other information you might require.

Have a great day,
Jim Boughton

P.S. if you received an e-mail from me through sourceforge, I apologize. I came to this board, because when I sent the e-mail from sourceforge I selected "cc myself" but did not receive the e-mail. I wasn't sure if you received it or not, so rather than send it again, I found another avenue :)
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

So far I can't duplicate this on linux, so I'll have to keep digging. does it crash with any other firmware?, how about if you de-select all logable variables and only try to log a couple of them? (odds are it's one or two bad ones causing the issue).
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
cewjim
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by cewjim »

I attempted only logging RPM and received the same problem. Subsequently, I tried only logging Engine Bits and received the same problem, again.

I have not tried other firmware, but I will as soon as I have time.

Have a great day,
Jim
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

cewjim wrote:I attempted only logging RPM and received the same problem. Subsequently, I tried only logging Engine Bits and received the same problem, again.

I have not tried other firmware, but I will as soon as I have time.

Have a great day,
Jim
thx for testing. I'll see if I can look into this shortly. My branch i'm working on is REALLY broken right now.... :)
David J. Andruczyk
cewjim
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by cewjim »

Dave,

I tried MegaTunix with the MSExtra HiRes HR_11d firmware. This brought about a new problem - MegaTunix doesn't recognize the HR_11d firmware. I saw this file:

~\MegaTunix\dist\Interrogator\Profiles\SquirtnSpark-Extra-HR-011d.prof

so I figured it should recognize it, but it gave an error regarding incompatible firmware (sorry didn't write down the error) and requested I send you this file:

~\MegaTunix\MTXlog.txt

I did not attach this file because it is empty (I had figured this file would contain the info regarding the above mentioned error that I didn't write down :-O)

Also, during the shutdown of MegaTunix there was a dialog regarding writing the internal log file to disk. I selected yes, and got the Microsoft error dialog again.

The empty MTXlog.txt file may be a clue though, since I have files in the MTX_Datalogs directory, from trying to log data, which are also empty. It seems like there is some kind of error with writing to the disk on this machine/OS (I am no expert, however).

Anyhow, sorry to bring up more problems. Maybe I will just resurrect my Linux machine for this.

Have a great day,
Jim
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

cewjim wrote:Dave,

I tried MegaTunix with the MSExtra HiRes HR_11d firmware. This brought about a new problem - MegaTunix doesn't recognize the HR_11d firmware. I saw this file:

~\MegaTunix\dist\Interrogator\Profiles\SquirtnSpark-Extra-HR-011d.prof

so I figured it should recognize it, but it gave an error regarding incompatible firmware (sorry didn't write down the error) and requested I send you this file:

~\MegaTunix\MTXlog.txt

I did not attach this file because it is empty (I had figured this file would contain the info regarding the above mentioned error that I didn't write down :-O)

Also, during the shutdown of MegaTunix there was a dialog regarding writing the internal log file to disk. I selected yes, and got the Microsoft error dialog again.

The empty MTXlog.txt file may be a clue though, since I have files in the MTX_Datalogs directory, from trying to log data, which are also empty. It seems like there is some kind of error with writing to the disk on this machine/OS (I am no expert, however).

Anyhow, sorry to bring up more problems. Maybe I will just resurrect my Linux machine for this.

Have a great day,
Jim
Linux makes it a LOT easier to test, as the debugging tools and such for windows are terrible.
I've gotten my development tree (in git) stabilized, so if you have access to a linux box, or Linux VM it would be ideal.
David J. Andruczyk