How to restore configuration?

Questions specific to Megatunix - alternate tuning software that runs on unix and windows.
Note that Megatunix is obsolete.

Moderator: djandruczyk

StevenD57
Helpful MS/Extra'er

How to restore configuration?

Post by StevenD57 »

I had a problem with my MS1 v2.2 system. I will have to try and recreate the original configuration.
In my home directory I have MTX_VexFiles and MTX_ecu_snapshots directories. In the MTX_VexFiles
directory I have a few different *.vex files and in the MTX_ecu_snapshots directory I have three
*.ecu files. Are either of these files enough to recreate the configuration of my MS1 system from?
It was just running an EDIS4 ignition system with a WBO2 and a coolant temperature sensor for
right now. I would like to recreate it since it was running pretty decently prior to my hardware issue.
Jaguar E-Types, modified Merkur XR4Ti, Jensen-Healey
Linux = no virii or spyware, EVER
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Re: How to restore configuration?

Post by djandruczyk »

StevenD57 wrote:I had a problem with my MS1 v2.2 system. I will have to try and recreate the original configuration.
In my home directory I have MTX_VexFiles and MTX_ecu_snapshots directories. In the MTX_VexFiles
directory I have a few different *.vex files and in the MTX_ecu_snapshots directory I have three
*.ecu files. Are either of these files enough to recreate the configuration of my MS1 system from?
It was just running an EDIS4 ignition system with a WBO2 and a coolant temperature sensor for
right now. I would like to recreate it since it was running pretty decently prior to my hardware issue.

If you backed up the settings (.ecu files in the MTX_ecu_snapshots dir), and have NOT changed the firmware you were running, i.e. to some other version, then the restore should be seamless. Megatunix currently lacks a good way to restore a configuration from a different firmware release, due to megatunix's simplistic backup format. This is one area where TS leads.

Load megatunix, let it interrogate, click on the tools tab, then "restore ecu backup" and select your previously saved backup, allow it to load, click on burn ecu settings after it has finished loading and then power cycle your ECU and things should be fully restored, if this doesn't work as intended, let me know right away. the power cycle is required because there are some MS ECU settings that are only read on power up (wheel decoder items and more), so the power cycle lets them take full effect.
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix
StevenD57
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by StevenD57 »

djandruczyk wrote:If you backed up the settings (.ecu files in the MTX_ecu_snapshots dir), and have NOT changed the firmware you were running, i.e. to some other version, then the restore should be seamless. Megatunix currently lacks a good way to restore a configuration from a different firmware release, due to megatunix's simplistic backup format. This is one area where TS leads.

Ummm, ok. What if it was a minor version change like 029y3 to 029y4 of the MS/Extra code?
Last edited by StevenD57 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

StevenD57 wrote:
djandruczyk wrote:If you backed up the settings (.ecu files in the MTX_ecu_snapshots dir), and have NOT changed the firmware you were running, i.e. to some other version, then the restore should be seamless. Megatunix currently lacks a good way to restore a configuration from a different firmware release, due to megatunix's simplistic backup format. This is one area where TS leads.

Ummm, ok. What if it was a minor version change like 029y3 to 029y4 or the MS/Extra code?

Shouldn't matter, uses the same interrogation profile (and settings and API_) so it should load it, you can hotwire around it by editing the signature in the ecu backup, but when going between major version changes that'll likely send bad data to the ecu or crash mtx.
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
StevenD57
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by StevenD57 »

If the ecu file is used to restore, what are the vex files for?
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

StevenD57 wrote:

If the ecu file is used to restore, what are the vex files for?
VEX is only for a table or group of tables, i.e. fuel, spark, afr, but nothing else.. Since mtx can't currently handlea backup//restore of ALL ecu settigns between FW versions, you can svae yourself a lot of fatfingering by exporting and importing the fuel/spark/afr tables themselves as those are portable between firmwares with the SAME table dimensions.
David J. Andruczyk