dyno today, many probs with MegaTunix

Questions specific to Megatunix - alternate tuning software that runs on unix and windows.
Note that Megatunix is obsolete.

Moderator: djandruczyk

StevenD57
Helpful MS/Extra'er

dyno today, many probs with MegaTunix

Post by StevenD57 »

I spent a not very productive 1.5 hours on a dynojet chassis dyno today with my Jensen-Healey. I tried to tune with Megatunix but I had many problems with it and finally just had to give up and kiss off any posibility of tuning with my current setup using Megatunix.

I had several problems with Megatunix and here is a short list:

Each time I start up Megatunix I have to reload my Lookup table file for my WBO2 sensor.
I still cannot replay any logs in Megatunix. The log viewer window is just blank. I have sent Dave the log file copies he requested a few weeks ago but I have heard nothing back regarding this.
I also have to continuously reset the number of cylinders and injectors under fuel parameters. It seems to want to default to 1 and 1 with 12 squirts per cycle.
Whenever I try to save my current ECU state to a file using the button to do this under tools it just crashes Megatunix and I never get a file.
If I quit Megatunix and it asks me to save the ECU parameters I get a file but every time I reload that file the number of cylinders, injectors, and squirts per cycle are reset back to 1, 1, and 12 from the 4, 4, and 2 I set them to each time.
If I try to use the restore ECU from file thing in the main file menu in the upper left corner of the app GUI nothing happens, I never get a file load or file browse dialog window. The only way I can get a file browse window to restore the ECU from a file is to use the button to do this under the tools menu.

Worst of all it seems like the changes I am making to the numbers in the VE table while trying to tune the car are just not being reflected in the AFR I am seeing from both my WBO2 unit and the WBO2 that the dyno shop used to get me dyno run log files. I would make drastic changes, save the parametrs to the ECU and then do another run but the drastic changes would NOT be reflected in the resulting AFR data from the next run. I would say for instance try to correct a lean condition in the 3500 to 4500 rpm range and no matter what I did as far as changes to the VE tables did not seem to have an sort of predicted repeatable effect on the data from the next run.

All in all it was a very frustrating day. I was in the process of writing an article for the Linux Journal about tuning a car with the available Linux apps for Megasquirt but after today's results with trying to use Megatunix I am unsure of what to write in my article.
Jaguar E-Types, modified Merkur XR4Ti, Jensen-Healey
Linux = no virii or spyware, EVER
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Re: dyno today, many probs with MegaTunix

Post by djandruczyk »

StevenD57 wrote:I spent a not very productive 1.5 hours on a dynojet chassis dyno today with my Jensen-Healey. I tried to tune with Megatunix but I had many problems with it and finally just had to give up and kiss off any posibility of tuning with my current setup using Megatunix.

I had several problems with Megatunix and here is a short list:

Each time I start up Megatunix I have to reload my Lookup table file for my WBO2 sensor.
I still cannot replay any logs in Megatunix. The log viewer window is just blank. I have sent Dave the log file copies he requested a few weeks ago but I have heard nothing back regarding this.
I also have to continuously reset the number of cylinders and injectors under fuel parameters. It seems to want to default to 1 and 1 with 12 squirts per cycle.
Whenever I try to save my current ECU state to a file using the button to do this under tools it just crashes Megatunix and I never get a file.
If I quit Megatunix and it asks me to save the ECU parameters I get a file but every time I reload that file the number of cylinders, injectors, and squirts per cycle are reset back to 1, 1, and 12 from the 4, 4, and 2 I set them to each time.
If I try to use the restore ECU from file thing in the main file menu in the upper left corner of the app GUI nothing happens, I never get a file load or file browse dialog window. The only way I can get a file browse window to restore the ECU from a file is to use the button to do this under the tools menu.

Worst of all it seems like the changes I am making to the numbers in the VE table while trying to tune the car are just not being reflected in the AFR I am seeing from both my WBO2 unit and the WBO2 that the dyno shop used to get me dyno run log files. I would make drastic changes, save the parametrs to the ECU and then do another run but the drastic changes would NOT be reflected in the resulting AFR data from the next run. I would say for instance try to correct a lean condition in the 3500 to 4500 rpm range and no matter what I did as far as changes to the VE tables did not seem to have an sort of predicted repeatable effect on the data from the next run.

All in all it was a very frustrating day. I was in the process of writing an article for the Linux Journal about tuning a car with the available Linux apps for Megasquirt but after today's results with trying to use Megatunix I am unsure of what to write in my article.

Which version of megatunix? Which EXACT firmware version? I've been encouraging linux users who've had problems with release versions to use the git (devel) version specifically the modular_0.4 branch. Get back to me ASAP, as I'd like to get these issues fixed as soon as possible.
Last edited by djandruczyk on Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: asking about firmware version
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix
StevenD57
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by StevenD57 »

At the top of the About screen it says "Megatunix 0.9.24-modular_0.4"

I will check on the exact firmware version in the ECU.
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

StevenD57 wrote:At the top of the About screen it says "Megatunix 0.9.24-modular_0.4"

I will check on the exact firmware version in the ECU.

The general tab lists the ecu signature and textual version (if it detects it)
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix
StevenD57
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by StevenD57 »

Textual Version
MS1/Extra rev 029y4 ************

ECU Signature String
MS1/Extra format 029y3 *********

BTW, when I got this info I did a double check under fuel parameters and even though I have set the system to 4 cylinders, 4 injectors and 2 squirts per cycle in TunerStudio and these settings stay there, Megatunix still comes up and says they are 1 cylinder, 1 injector, and 12 squirts per cycle.

Also if I select quit from the main file menu in the upper left corner of the GUI and it asks me the questions about saving a datalog and if I want to save the ECU settings to a file, if I say yes to the save ECU settings question, it presents me with the file browser dialog window that lets me select a file name and defaults to saving the files under $HOME/MTX_ecu_snapshots. After I change or don't change the output file name and click on the save button in the lower right corner of the file browser window the app still segfaults right after that. Is there some thing you want me to do regarding that to get you more info on why it is segfaulting? I believe I compiled megatunix with debugging enabled but I don't think I turned on profiling support.
24c
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 24c »

StevenD57 wrote:... After I change or don't change the output file name and click on the save button in the lower right corner of the file browser window the app still segfaults right after that. Is there some thing you want me to do regarding that to get you more info on why it is segfaulting?
I was getting this behaviour too in Linux Mint 10, so I wiped the partition and did a clean git with modular_0.4 branch install. It's hard to pinpoint what I did differently, but now I can save the files without crashing in Linux. I did have this problem in OSX too, but Dave cleaned that version up, so I started to play with the Linux partition. I have no knowledge/understanding of this stuff, but the additional ldconfig step seemed to put things right.
dave wrote:Please pull the latest changes (modular_0.4 branch) and MAKE SURE to run "sudo rm -rf /usr/local/share/MegaTunix" prior to the usual configure ; make ; sudo make install ; sudo ldconfig 4 step. the "rm" is required to clean out the files that I renamed so you don't see dups and get API warnings due to mismatched files. (the ones I just fixed and committed, many were renamed to be more intuitive)
Yamaha GTS1000 v2 MicroSquirt, B&G 2.891
Yamaha GTS1000 v3 beta MicroSquirt, B&G3.760
Yamaha GTS1000 MSExtra 3.1, Dual VR Board
Yamaha YZF1000 MSExtra 3.1