No compile on Mandriva & Kunbuntu is a sucky VM

Questions specific to Megatunix - alternate tuning software that runs on unix and windows.
Note that Megatunix is obsolete.

Moderator: djandruczyk

louielouie
MS/Extra Newbie

No compile on Mandriva & Kunbuntu is a sucky VM

Post by louielouie »

Kubuntu 10.10 won't come up in a graphical (KDE) menu as a VMWare virtual machine on my Mandriva system (I couldn't get it to compile since the 'configure' script couldn't tell I had libglade2.0 installed). Got a basic X-Window and Megatunix *finally* started but couldn't get it to recognize the USB/serial converter that worked so well for the XP virtual machine. <sigh>
"...
checking for LIBGLADE... configure: error: Package requirements (libglade2.0 ) were not met:

No package 'libglade2.0' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables LIBGLADE_CFLAGS
and LIBGLADE_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

[lll4386@louielouie megatunix-0.9.23]$ rpm -qa |grep -i libglade <-- query the package manager for any occurrence of libglade
libglade2.0_0-2.6.4-3mdv2010.1 <-- so it IS installed but not recognized
..."

I had tried hacking the 'configure' script to no avail:

[lll4386@louielouie megatunix-0.9.23]$ diff configure configure~
16587,16588c16587,16588
< { { $as_echo "$as_me:${as_lineno-$LINENO}: \$PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors \"libglade2.0 \""; } >&5
< ($PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "libglade2.0 ") 2>&5
---
> { { $as_echo "$as_me:${as_lineno-$LINENO}: \$PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors \"libglade2.0_0 \""; } >&5
> ($PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "libglade2.0_0 ") 2>&5
16592c16592
< pkg_cv_LIBGLADE_CFLAGS=`$PKG_CONFIG --cflags "libglade2.0 " 2>/dev/null`
---
> pkg_cv_LIBGLADE_CFLAGS=`$PKG_CONFIG --cflags "libglade2.0_0 " 2>/dev/null`
16605,16606c16605,16606
< { { $as_echo "$as_me:${as_lineno-$LINENO}: \$PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors \"libglade2.0 \""; } >&5
---
> { { $as_echo "$as_me:${as_lineno-$LINENO}: \$PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors \"libglade2.0_0 \""; } >&5
16610c16610
< pkg_cv_LIBGLADE_LIBS=`$PKG_CONFIG --libs "libglade2.0 " 2>/dev/null`
---
> pkg_cv_LIBGLADE_LIBS=`$PKG_CONFIG --libs "libglade2.0_0 " 2>/dev/null`
16629c16629
< LIBGLADE_PKG_ERRORS=`$PKG_CONFIG --short-errors --errors-to-stdout --print-errors "libglade2.0 "`
---
> LIBGLADE_PKG_ERRORS=`$PKG_CONFIG --short-errors --errors-to-stdout --print-errors "libglade2.0_0 "`
16631c16631
< LIBGLADE_PKG_ERRORS=`$PKG_CONFIG --errors-to-stdout --print-errors "libglade2.0 "`
---
> LIBGLADE_PKG_ERRORS=`$PKG_CONFIG --errors-to-stdout --print-errors "libglade2.0_0 "`
16636c16636
< as_fn_error "Package requirements (libglade2.0 ) were not met:
---
> as_fn_error "Package requirements (libglade2.0_0 ) were not met:

Libglade is a 32-bit package and if I need the -devel package it is incompatible with my x86_64 platform - what do I do next? TIA!

-LouieLouie
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Re: No compile on Mandriva & Kunbuntu is a sucky VM

Post by djandruczyk »

louielouie wrote:Kubuntu 10.10 won't come up in a graphical (KDE) menu as a VMWare virtual machine on my Mandriva system (I couldn't get it to compile since the 'configure' script couldn't tell I had libglade2.0 installed). Got a basic X-Window and Megatunix *finally* started but couldn't get it to recognize the USB/serial converter that worked so well for the XP virtual machine. <sigh>
"...
checking for LIBGLADE... configure: error: Package requirements (libglade2.0 ) were not met:

No package 'libglade2.0' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables LIBGLADE_CFLAGS
and LIBGLADE_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

[lll4386@louielouie megatunix-0.9.23]$ rpm -qa |grep -i libglade <-- query the package manager for any occurrence of libglade
libglade2.0_0-2.6.4-3mdv2010.1 <-- so it IS installed but not recognized
..."

I had tried hacking the 'configure' script to no avail:

[lll4386@louielouie megatunix-0.9.23]$ diff configure configure~
16587,16588c16587,16588
---
16592c16592
< pkg_cv_LIBGLADE_CFLAGS=`$PKG_CONFIG --cflags "libglade2.0 " 2>/dev/null`
---
> pkg_cv_LIBGLADE_CFLAGS=`$PKG_CONFIG --cflags "libglade2.0_0 " 2>/dev/null`
16605,16606c16605,16606
---
16610c16610
< pkg_cv_LIBGLADE_LIBS=`$PKG_CONFIG --libs "libglade2.0 " 2>/dev/null`
---
> pkg_cv_LIBGLADE_LIBS=`$PKG_CONFIG --libs "libglade2.0_0 " 2>/dev/null`
16629c16629
< LIBGLADE_PKG_ERRORS=`$PKG_CONFIG --short-errors --errors-to-stdout --print-errors "libglade2.0 "`
---
> LIBGLADE_PKG_ERRORS=`$PKG_CONFIG --short-errors --errors-to-stdout --print-errors "libglade2.0_0 "`
16631c16631
< LIBGLADE_PKG_ERRORS=`$PKG_CONFIG --errors-to-stdout --print-errors "libglade2.0 "`
---
> LIBGLADE_PKG_ERRORS=`$PKG_CONFIG --errors-to-stdout --print-errors "libglade2.0_0 "`
16636c16636
< as_fn_error "Package requirements (libglade2.0 ) were not met:
---
> as_fn_error "Package requirements (libglade2.0_0 ) were not met:

Libglade is a 32-bit package and if I need the -devel package it is incompatible with my x86_64 platform - what do I do next? TIA!

-LouieLouie

Specify --arch=i386 to the yum command line.

You might have libglade installed, but you do NOT have the DEVELOPMENT HEADERS installed (i.e. search for a package name that includes "dev" or "headers" in it. To compile an application agaisnt a particular library it needs the header files that correspond to that library, and you don't have them installed.

Unless you have more than 4GB of ram, and need individual applications to be able to address all of it at once, or are hosting VM's via a high end hypervistor (KVM/Xen) a 64 bit OS makes little to no sense, and you would be better off with a 32 bit version as it has much wider compatibility, esp with commercial closed source stuff like flash and java.
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix
louielouie
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by louielouie »

Thank you - I found a 32-bit Kubuntu 10.10 VM on vmplanet.net and followed the directions for installation. I did have to additionally install the libdtxm* packages but as it turns out, support for my mosChip 7703 serial/USB converter isn't in Ubuntu so MegaTunix couldn't find my device (that's still a +1 for installation success though). mosChip indicated it was supported under Fedora Core so I'll try some other 32-bit VM and possibly see if I can find a supported serial/USB converter for Ubuntu.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Curious--- What's the purpose for running Ubuntu in a VM?
I've been running megatunix (git) on Mandriva for awhile. Builds /works fine.

Once ALL the dev packages are installed there is no issue, just like Ubuntu.
(do make sure to rerun autogen.sh though, or configure will not be regenerated properly)
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.