Correct procedure for ve analyze burn

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

fastereddie1011
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Correct procedure for ve analyze burn

Post by fastereddie1011 »

Hello all, could someone tell me the proper way to go about saving my ve analyze corrections? I can turn on vea and it will correct as I drive. Its awesome but I run into an issue when I want to burn the changes to the ms. Obviously if I try to burn them while it's running it will stumble and die and then not seem to run correctly. If I shut it off and turn the key back to on to connect and burn, it says it wasnt finished and changes will be lost...Am I missing something? Thanks, Eddie.
My drinking team has a racing problem!
1989 ford probe lx. Turbo Fe3 swap
Approx. 300hp courtesy of Msns-extra. Sold the probe to some kid. Now its junk.....

Current project- 83 Chevy K10 w/TPI 383 MS2 ver3 board extra code 3.3.3?
ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Correct procedure for ve analyze burn

Post by ErnieJones »

I run into this all the time while tuning my bike. I do the auto-tune, I hit as many cells as I can, if I like how it's running, I pull over and then hit the Save on ECU button and then the Apply button :mrgreen: For me, the engine will stall (usually) but that's not an issue.
Thanks you;
Ernie
jamies
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by jamies »

not on bikes but on vehicles i generally hit burn on decel or when coasting to a stop, so you hardly notice the stumble
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

ErnieJones wrote:I run into this all the time while tuning my bike. I do the auto-tune, I hit as many cells as I can, if I like how it's running, I pull over and then hit the Save on ECU button and then the Apply button :mrgreen: For me, the engine will stall (usually) but that's not an issue.
Sounds like someone else has their lap top within view and operation on their bike too :lol:
I do "burn" on decal frequently, works equally seamlessly.
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

You must burn before turning off power to the MegaSquirt.

That is a great feature of MS3, no burn stumble.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ErnieJones »

R100RT wrote:Sounds like someone else has their lap top within view and operation on their bike too :lol:
I do "burn" on decal frequently, works equally seamlessly.
Yeah, it's not easy! I use a netbook inside my jacket when auto-tuning. There's no way I could actually use it while riding so I have to pull over. I'm over on the Island though so at least I don't have to worry about traffic too much :mrgreen: I see from your sig you went Turbo? I picked one up and was going to do it but I just can't seem to find any space :?
Thanks you;
Ernie
fastereddie1011
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fastereddie1011 »

Cool thanks guys sounds like im not alone. Ill try the decel burn see how that works. Last time i got done autotuning I pulled in driveway and popped the hood and pulled the msd fuse to kill it then burned. It worked good. Think im gonna put a kill switch inline for anti theft and burning. Lol
My drinking team has a racing problem!
1989 ford probe lx. Turbo Fe3 swap
Approx. 300hp courtesy of Msns-extra. Sold the probe to some kid. Now its junk.....

Current project- 83 Chevy K10 w/TPI 383 MS2 ver3 board extra code 3.3.3?
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

You don't have to have the engine switched off before you burn the VEAL changes.
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Bagged83dime
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Bagged83dime »

mine dosent realy stumble when i burn maybe a blip at most but i know from hitting the key befor i save if you ignore the box that says data will be lost and just key it back up that the difference box will pop up and ask if you would like to use the tune on controller or pc. i almost lost like a hour long auto tune today but this worked
ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ErnieJones »

I find that if I pull over and stop the Auto Tune process and then hit Save in ECU then Apply it stands a better chance of not stalling. I've also had many instances where I forgot to apply the changes and then re-started the engine and when Tuner Studio re-connects it will show a difference. Like the poster above said, just use the TS settings as these are the Auto-Tune settings.
Thanks you;
Ernie