I finally got it to run, kind of.

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

AATopFuel
Helpful MS/Extra'er

I finally got it to run, kind of.

Post by AATopFuel »

I finally got it to run, however, it will not idle. To get it to run James said read the book, so I did. After reading page 112 and 113 several times, because I felt it was right there, I seen it. I went and pulled the ignition wire Pin number 36 on the V3 and then replaced it with the wire Pin number 26 on the MS3X, commonly known as the Tacho wire. How that works is beyond me. I thought that a Tach wire is purely output, but it works. It would be nice to get some direction on this, I say this, Because, I had this conversation with them and asked what wire should be used and the answer was it doesn't matter they all will work and I am here to say they don't. At least after all this lost time I got past this point, as I said I will learn this. It's just how long will it take. Now that my son is out of the hospital, again, I need to keep on it.
My problem is now the idle, it gets rich, loses timing, loses vacuum, and stalls out. Thank you for your time.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: I finally got it to run, kind of.

Post by rickb794 »

You should slightly raise timing below target idle speed to help stabilize idle speed.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
AATopFuel
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by AATopFuel »

rickb794 wrote:You should slightly raise timing below target idle speed to help stabilize idle speed.
Thank you for your response. I have some questions, where is target idle, how do you set the idle, what book and page would I find this? On a carb or MFI unit not a problem, on this I can't seem to find it. How do it check the Ford 2 wire to see if it works?

JBL
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

This is good info on making idle work. http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_article ... uning.html
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
AATopFuel
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by AATopFuel »

I want thank you for that page it made me laugh, because it really nailed it down as to what it is doing. I think that I understand now. To me it's like driving a car with a loose steering wheel. If you notice that the car will lean on one side of the steering wheel while going down the road, so it works. Well in the 3D ignition map you have a V groove at the idle area where it does the same thing, it will lean on one side or the other of the V groove. If you do all of your other stuff right it will be down at the bottom of the V groove and have very little slop in the idle variance, hence your idle. The bottom of the groove should be at the idle in which you would want your idle to be, say 950 RPM's. Is that about right? I wrote my first attempt at an ignition timing with this in mind, also when you see the 40's at the bottom the only time that it should go there would be under deceleration, to me it would help for plug cleaning, and finally when I setup a distributor once I hit 3000 RPM's I want all the timing in at that point. My automatic cars use a 5500 stall and my shifter cars launch at 7500 RPM's on the norm. Thank you for your time, let me know what you think.