Raspbian Pi3 TunersTudio no data from Bluetooth GPS

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

SwedCharger-67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Raspbian Pi3 TunersTudio no data from Bluetooth GPS

Post by SwedCharger-67 »

Greetings,
I have a Qstarz 818XT GPS unit that I want to use with the Bluetooth channel to communicate with TunerStudio. This has worked well with Win10 both as a USB device and using Bluetooth.

Now I've started a Raspbian Pi3 with a touch screen, and I cannot get any GPS info to show up in TS . In the Raspbian Pi3 the GPS device is there, connected, paired and light is green and data communication is shown...but nothing in TS (TS MS v3.0.28). Bluetooth is enabled in TS. The Qstarz GPS blinking LEDs show that it is happy and transmitting data.
The Pi3 is running "Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)"

What have I missed?
Martin

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ systemctl status bluetooth
● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Sun 2017-12-17 10:42:59 CET; 4h 14min ago
Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
Process: 1181 ExecStartPost=/usr/bin/sdptool add SP (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 1125 (bluetoothd)
CGroup: /system.slice/bluetooth.service
└─1125 /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd -C --noplugin=sap

Dec 17 10:42:58 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Starting Bluetooth service...
Dec 17 10:42:58 raspberrypi bluetoothd[1125]: Bluetooth daemon 5.43
Dec 17 10:42:58 raspberrypi bluetoothd[1125]: Starting SDP server
Dec 17 10:42:58 raspberrypi bluetoothd[1125]: Excluding (cli) sap
Dec 17 10:42:58 raspberrypi bluetoothd[1125]: Bluetooth management interface 1.14 initialized
Dec 17 10:42:58 raspberrypi bluetoothd[1125]: Failed to obtain handles for "Service Changed" characteristic
Dec 17 10:42:58 raspberrypi sdptool[1181]: Serial Port service registered
Dec 17 10:42:59 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started Bluetooth service.
Martin, Sweden
Mopar 512 cui, 8.4 liters, high compression, fuel E85, full sequential control by MS3X, burning rubber just blipping the throttle... :D
SwedCharger-67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Raspbian Pi3 TunersTudio no data from Bluetooth GPS

Post by SwedCharger-67 »

The Raspbian Pi3 seems perfectly happy with the GPS bluetooth status, but TunerStudio refuses to have anything to do with it...i.e. the gps-based gauges show nothing.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ bluetoothctl
[NEW] Controller B8:27:EB:C5:5B:2E raspberrypi [default]
[NEW] Device 00:1C:88:01:D8:D3 Qstarz 818XT
[Qstarz 818XT]# scan on
Discovery started
[CHG] Controller B8:27:EB:C5:5B:2E Discovering: yes
[CHG] Device 00:1C:88:01:D8:D3 LegacyPairing: yes
[Qstarz 818XT]# info
Device 00:1C:88:01:D8:D3
Name: Qstarz 818XT
Alias: Qstarz 818XT
Class: 0x001f00
Paired: yes
Trusted: yes
Blocked: no
Connected: yes
LegacyPairing: yes
UUID: Serial Port (00001101-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)
[Qstarz 818XT]#
Martin, Sweden
Mopar 512 cui, 8.4 liters, high compression, fuel E85, full sequential control by MS3X, burning rubber just blipping the throttle... :D
SwedCharger-67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by SwedCharger-67 »

I may have found something...in TS app-debug file....

12/17/17 1:14:25 PM :Info: Error closing port on cleanup. Port name - /dev/rfcomm0; Method name - closePort(); Exception type - Port not opened.
12/17/17 1:14:25 PM :Info: Failed to connect to GPS: Unable to open port: /dev/rfcomm0
Please check your Communications Settings.
Martin, Sweden
VLC-05L
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by VLC-05L »

I'm having issues with GPS on a Pi as well. I will try to have a look at that log file that you talked about and see what mine says.
CB70 12V 3cyl 993cc Daihatsu | MS2X Sequential Fuel and Spark | Flex Fuel Launch Control | Raspberry Pi Dash
VLC-05L
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by VLC-05L »

There is thread that I have pretty much hijacked from nzgrub here: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 29#p517229 . Hopefully our issues are the same though.

Not sure if this is the same problem that you are having though. I posted a snippet from the log in that thread.
CB70 12V 3cyl 993cc Daihatsu | MS2X Sequential Fuel and Spark | Flex Fuel Launch Control | Raspberry Pi Dash
SwedCharger-67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by SwedCharger-67 »

I have (at the moment at least) given up on getting the Bluetooth connection to the GPS to work, and I have switched to the USB port...which works in my case, see the lower right corner in the attached photo.
Attachments
20171220_113923_2.jpg
20171220_113923_2.jpg (317.41 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
Martin, Sweden
VLC-05L
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by VLC-05L »

That's good you have that working then!

Mine is connected through USB but still unsure why it's not connecting properly in tunerstudio.
SwedCharger-67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by SwedCharger-67 »

I decided to spend some time this morning on the issue of getting TS to read the GPS data over the Bluetooth link...and suddenly it works as it should!
The problem is that I really don't know why it suddenly works, been fiddling around in the operating system so much that I have no clue... :D
Martin, Sweden
SwedCharger-67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by SwedCharger-67 »

A little update...the car has been hibernating all winter but is soon going to be out on the road again.

Yesterday I bought a Bluetooth keyboard to use with the Pi3 running Raspbian and TunerStudio. The struggle with the Bluetooth GPS had made me unsure if the Raspbian Bluetooth software was working correctly...but the BT keyboard works flawlessly!

Connected the Bluetooth GPS as well to see what happens, and TS doesn't show any input from the GPS. The Raspbian Bluetooth function icons are identical for both the keyboard and the GPS, but the GPS data doesn't appear in TS. Tried loading the keyboard by continuously pressing a key, but no problem could be observed. I guess the data stream from the keyboard is still small compared to the corresponding from the GPS.

Maybe an indication that there is something not fully working in the Linux version of TS regarding Bluetooth and GPS?
Martin, Sweden
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

SwedCharger-67 wrote:A little update...the car has been hibernating all winter but is soon going to be out on the road again.

Yesterday I bought a Bluetooth keyboard to use with the Pi3 running Raspbian and TunerStudio. The struggle with the Bluetooth GPS had made me unsure if the Raspbian Bluetooth software was working correctly...but the BT keyboard works flawlessly!

Connected the Bluetooth GPS as well to see what happens, and TS doesn't show any input from the GPS. The Raspbian Bluetooth function icons are identical for both the keyboard and the GPS, but the GPS data doesn't appear in TS. Tried loading the keyboard by continuously pressing a key, but no problem could be observed. I guess the data stream from the keyboard is still small compared to the corresponding from the GPS.

Maybe an indication that there is something not fully working in the Linux version of TS regarding Bluetooth and GPS?
How are you set up? I assume you have the GPS set up as a virtual com port in Linux? Currently there is no Bluetooth Direct on Linux.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html