newbie should use MT or TS ?

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

RC4U12
Helpful MS/Extra'er

newbie should use MT or TS ?

Post by RC4U12 »

I would like to have a couple opinions as to which software I should start with ..In other words Easy is good and easy to understand and implement...as i just installed my board and relay and tonight will cut my exhuast pipe to install LC-1 and wire that..everything is wire loomed and secure{even my wife told me to leave it all exposed till its running} I have am using MS1 v3 using extra as i converted to MSD6 ign with pertronix instead of points and LC-1 , and hooked to relay board. Its ready to program defualts and start except which software??? and any other program hints would be appreciated..Jeff
Kurt A
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: newbie should use MT or TS ?

Post by Kurt A »

RC4U12,
Hands down TunerStudio is the way to go. The support that Phil provides is second to none in my opinion.
Kurt
Rotax 912 turbo'd under construction MS2 Extra
2005 Mustang GT, turbo'd, aluminum heads, MS2 Extra
1928 Ford Coupe, 545BBF,671 blower, Squirted by MS2 extra 3.1.0, V3.0 Board
RC4U12
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by RC4U12 »

will it give me all the defaults like injector flow , squirts, timing, pulse width ect ect..? I do want easy to start and understand as i ask to many questions already.. I know that after understanding everything that theres always better.. has anybody else started with TS? or switched aferwards.?. I'm not questioning your belief in TS or that TS is above but just if its really what beginers should start with..and thanks for the opinion.. :RTFM: Jeff
62f100
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 62f100 »

im at almost the same you are,except ive used tuner and jaw to adjust my carb for one last summer on the carb.i first tried mt & was having trouble understanding all the stuff i had to do.(although it sounds like u read alot more than i did)so i took what i had &easly got started on tuner.i just got a new acer 8.9" note book & going to take off the carb after tommarrrow run to dougnut derlics get toggether.(got love the weather in CA going to be 80 if the weatherman is right.)
62 f100,uni body,4.6 motor&updated chasis, ms2 micromodule
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

The default settings are all there in the firmware.

Note that it is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY important to start tuning with the Megasquirt connected and powered up.

Some people make the mistake of opening the tuning software standalone and starting to enter numbers in there. This always causes them massive problems later as there are so many settings there that won't default to the correct values and everything will be full of zeros.

As a quick check, open up the fuel VE table and take a look. If it is all zeros - stop!!!

Once you have opened it correctly once, you can save the tune and then tune offline, but the first time you MUST be connected (or load a default MSQ.)

But in answer to the original question, you also want to get MegaLogViewer (also from Phil) this is a nice piece of log analysis software.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
RC4U12
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by RC4U12 »

Oh i should have asked earlier ..of course i already opened it but first time was connected to stim and let it run for a few hours ..I will try TS first then ..I gather the "to do before starting" is the same..and thanks much ..im sure i'll be back for a few questions..Jeff
kritip
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kritip »

If you are runnign MS2 extra, and need to configure the outputs, you'll need to do this with MT at the moment. Phil is aware though, so hopefully this will be sorted in the future.

Other than that, tuner studio is feature rich, stable, and I find it easier to get along with :)

Can't wait for it to come out of beta and pay phil for his hard work like i did with MLV :yeah!:
Constantly evolving;
4 cylinder n/a, 16v 1368cc Fiat Seicento
RC4U12
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by RC4U12 »

I am using MS1 extra and utilizing ignition with Pertronix instead of points and MSD6

And i did pay for the Log Viewer also and this should be a big pluse with thes also.. ...thanks Jeff
kritip
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kritip »

MS1 extra, TS all the way for you then :)
Constantly evolving;
4 cylinder n/a, 16v 1368cc Fiat Seicento
Black99rt
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Black99rt »

Tunerstudio is miles ahead of megatune. It runs dead stable for me, and megatune was a nightmare when it came to consistancy in communication.
1999 Dakota 5.9L R/T-
MSIIe 3.1.2 Batch Fuel/MSD single coil dizzy/Stepper idle
LC-1
RC4U12
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by RC4U12 »

Thanks for the support.. My decision is made TS is going to be it..tommorow nite i start the programing..Jeff
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

RC4U12 wrote:I would like to have a couple opinions as to which software I should start with ..In other words Easy is good and easy to understand and implement...as i just installed my board and relay and tonight will cut my exhuast pipe to install LC-1 and wire that..everything is wire loomed and secure{even my wife told me to leave it all exposed till its running} I have am using MS1 v3 using extra as i converted to MSD6 ign with pertronix instead of points and LC-1 , and hooked to relay board. Its ready to program defualts and start except which software??? and any other program hints would be
appreciated..Jeff

You might want to look at MegaTunix. Tis fully featured for MS-I firmwares, and has some really slick dashboards/gauges and a very (hopefully) intuitive UI. Works on linux, OS-X and Windows 2K/XP, no need for java either.
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix
62f100
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 62f100 »

did you ever get mega tunix to work with vista??tuner does.
62 f100,uni body,4.6 motor&updated chasis, ms2 micromodule
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

62f100 wrote:did you ever get mega tunix to work with vista??tuner does.
AFAIK it should work fine there, I don't have access to a vista machine, nor the hardware to run it, so I can't test it there myself. Nor am I going to spend several hundred dollars on an OS I'll never use. WinXP works great (faster than vista and lower HW requirements) as does linux and OS-X.
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix