computer for dashboard

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

RC4U12
Helpful MS/Extra'er

computer for dashboard

Post by RC4U12 »

Has anyone considered using the new mini computer like this dell mini 9 for a dashboard? as the lcd is very easy to remove and then just have the wires running..have a keboard stored under seat..heres the specific picture and and here is the page to the directions....i have one of these ordered and am considering as my dash lights do not work and cheaper then the DIY lcd board..... ,,,,, http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell-mi ... &sk=t&sd=a Jeff
vinister
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: computer for dashboard

Post by vinister »

many little pc's are available. Mine is a Sumicom. its about 4 years old, has a celeron 2.0 and on-board 12V input power supply. There's a slim-CD/DVD slot but I just have it taped over since I don't use optical media.

The center screen is a touch monitor for my gps/music and stuff, the dashboard screen is for... well... my dashboard ;)
RC4U12
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by RC4U12 »

Where do i look for those? and what is price comparision since the dell is $245 at sams...Only thing you need is a Speedo conversion for the dashboard? Jeff
vinister
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by vinister »

Well, no doubt the little Dell is going to be cheaper. The only downsides I can see is the mods invovled in taking it apart, and the lack of expansion abilities.

- my cpu has 2 serial ports, a parallel, digital SPDIF audio, and the regular USBs/ethernet/etc. The dual serial ports are very useful for this application since I can have my LC1 and MS plugged into it and not worry about any usb-2-serial headaches.

- My monitor has several inputs, so I can use it for a backup cam or hook it to a console or something if I ever want to. Also it has extended dimming capabilities, is made to be sunlight viewable, and comes with a remote.

- the computer boots up and down automatically, following the ignition. Doable on the Dell, but not without some mods.

- My Sumicom is 12V native, and has the ATX power supply built right into the mainboard. I would guess the Dell is 19V like most of the intel Atom netbooks. You'll need a DC-DC power supply to regulate this (look at the carnetix line of automotive cpu power supplies)

There are advantages to using a laptop-based device. You have a battery as an extra power source, which can facilitate using standby and surviving the low voltage of cranking the starter. Also it is very low power, much less so than my setup.

I think in the end the dedicated cpu is more expensive, but more suited to the application. Its been in there for 4 years with solid motor mounts without any damage. I thought one of the screens died but it turned out the ribbon cable inside has just worked itself loose. My car also leaks (its a vw) so there is always moisture in the car - pretty amazing the cpu is surviving in there.

You can get the computers and monitors through a company called Xenarc, but all they really do is import them from Sumicom and double the price. There are other channels available, google is your friend here.

I get speed via GPS, the nav program (mapmonkey) displays the speed in the corner of the map display. Good enough for me as I usually have a pretty good idea of how fast I'm going. The Nav program also writes daily logs of the time, road I'm on, long/lat, speed, heading, all that good stuff. Eventually this capability will be introduced into TunerStudio, so we should be able to display the speed and heading as gauges in your dashboard.

The other thing is the fuel level gauge - I made a custom circuit to get this going, search my posts to find out about that.