Screen freezes when draggin' window inside TS to larger size

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

OB6D
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Screen freezes when draggin' window inside TS to larger size

Post by OB6D »

Hello,

Don't know if this is a known issue, don't know if it's just me, but figured if i wouldn't write it up you might not know about it so:
What TS does here when i drag i.e. the warmup enrichment window to a larger size the screen update becomes laggy and sometimes TS just freezes till i close the window inside of it and reopen it. So TS itself does not crash, but it just freezes and becomes unuseable till i close the window i opened inside of it again. Also mine looks different from what's in the manual, but that might just be version difference (yes, stupid, that's MegaTune :oops: ). Anyways, it looks like this:

Edit:
My puter is normaly perfectly stable 'n troublefree. Thinking about it now, maybe it's the screen resolution i use, 1900x1200.
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Screen freezes when draggin' window inside TS to larger size

Post by LT401Vette »

Hmm, does that happen only on the Warmup enrichment, or on any of the Curves after resizing? Is it only aft a good deal of resizing, or does it do it right off?

There is a good chance an error is being logged. If you can send me your TunerStudioLogFile.txt from the install dir, that may help me see what is happening. p_tobin@yahoo.com
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
kritip
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kritip »

I very much doubt it's your resolution.

I run 1920x1200 on my 15" laptop 8) so i will try and simulate it right now.

//edit -- can you upload your msq and ini so i can load your setup and simulate exactly?
Constantly evolving;
4 cylinder n/a, 16v 1368cc Fiat Seicento
OB6D
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by OB6D »

There you go. Don't know which ini you want, they're so many.
kritip
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kritip »

OK,

That wasn't the ini, I set the project up using 2.1.0o as i couldn't find the latest version 2.1.0p, shouldn't make much difference though.

I then loaded you msq, and in offline mode i dragged ad resized numerous windows like you describe, with no problems at all :?: Even tested it with the gauge demo running to increase CPU and memory

Maybe it only shows itself on a running engine?

What is your CPU and memory usage when testing? What hardware specification? ie. Graphics card, drivers,?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions.

Kristian
Constantly evolving;
OB6D
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by OB6D »

Hmm, proc load exceeds 80% when i drag the window about. Yesterday when that happened i had more things running, so must've been higher then. Didn't think it'd be that much.

The graphic controller is an onboard Intel 845G thingy. It's an old PIV at 2.8G with a Gig of ram on an Epox 4G4A+ mobo. Nothing too high spec, it's my internet puter.

2.1.0p is a prerelease i got from James after he fixed something in there for me.

Can see the lag on the on screen image update trying to reproduce the freeze, but can't get it to hang just now.
kritip
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kritip »

Don't know much about that GFX card. Can you run the same test but with anti alliasing disabled?
Constantly evolving;
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

Your log file shows one time where you were running it and started getting a load of OutofMemoryErrors. That wouldn't be that your computer was out of memory, just that the memory allocated to the app is used up. The large resolution will contribute to this. As you start resizing the dialog the widgets keep getting painted to an in memory buffer to then be painted to the dialog. When you resize it can do this a bunch of times before it cleans up the old ones and if you have very high resolution, each buffer takes more memory.

I am guessing it doesn't always do this, or only does it after you do a bunch of resizing.

You can start the jvm with more memory allocated, but I wouldn't worry about it for now. I am currently doing some memory clean up for the next release. I have noticed over the last couple releases the memory foot print has been growing with the new features, so I stepped back to do some clean up.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
OB6D
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by OB6D »

LT401Vette wrote:Your log file shows one time where you were running it and started getting a load of OutofMemoryErrors. That wouldn't be that your computer was out of memory, just that the memory allocated to the app is used up. The large resolution will contribute to this. As you start resizing the dialog the widgets keep getting painted to an in memory buffer to then be painted to the dialog. When you resize it can do this a bunch of times before it cleans up the old ones and if you have very high resolution, each buffer takes more memory.

I am guessing it doesn't always do this, or only does it after you do a bunch of resizing.

You can start the jvm with more memory allocated, but I wouldn't worry about it for now. I am currently doing some memory clean up for the next release. I have noticed over the last couple releases the memory foot print has been growing with the new features, so I stepped back to do some clean up.
This makes perfect sense. I think you're hitting the nail on the head here. And it is exactly as you say, it did indeed happen when i went through all those windows and resized them all. At first it was fine, but then at the fourth time or so, it started to act up.