WBO2 logging Voltage with Tunerstudio

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

TheAlien
Experienced MS/Extra'er

WBO2 logging Voltage with Tunerstudio

Post by TheAlien »

Is there a way I can make Tunerstudio (megalogviewer) log the 'raw' voltage that it receives from the wideband ?

The problem I have is the following:
I have calibrated my MS on the JimStim like this: I set up an AFR gauge and a voltage gauge for the WB02 in TS. This way I was able to quickly and easily double check if MS and TS are 'creating' the right AFR numbers out of the voltages it receives. So I checked a whole bunch of numbers. For example, I turned the poti untill TS showed me 0 volt, 2.5 volt and 5 volt and I got 7.3, 14.7 and 22 AFR. These are the exact relations I wanted. So now I can be absolutely certain that this part of my MS install is calibrated correctly.
But now I want to make sure my LC1 is putting out the right voltages to MS. Theoretically I could just start the LM-Programmer for the LC1 and punch the numbers in that I used above. But in real life these voltages wouldn't be accurate due to cable length, thickness etc. So I want to use the LM-Programmer in a way that it makes the LC1 put out a voltage at the warmup period. And note the difference from the numbers from the 'LM-Programmer LC1 warmup period' to what TS shows me. And finally adjust the numbers in the LM-Programmer until it is all accurate.

Problem is, that my sensor warms up to fast. TS is still comparing all the settings with MS and wont show me any numbers until it's finished comparing. By the time TS is finished comparing, the sensor is already warm and starts showing fast changing numbers that are of no use for a 'calibration'...
So I thought that if I start TS, turn on logging, turn the key, that I would be able to see the voltages from that period at least in the log file...

I hope I expressed myself at least a little clear about what I want to do. (Sorry, my English still let's me down when it comes to more complex things).
Running MS2/extra alpha 3.0.3s - 1991 Saab 900 Turbo
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: WBO2 logging Voltage with Tunerstudio

Post by LT401Vette »

Create a custom.ini file in the projectCfg subfolder of your project.

In it put this:

Code: Select all

[Datalog]
   entry = egoV,            "O2Volt",         float,  "%.2f"

Then your new logs should have it...
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
TheAlien
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheAlien »

Wow that was easy.
Thank you very much !!
This should make it so much easier to calibrate...
TheAlien
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheAlien »

So the voltage in the log is already averaged then (from the value in the general lag menue), right ? I am asking because the curve from the voltage in the log looks totally identically to the AFR curve. Even though I am using a rather drastic averaging value of 50%. (just to understand how this works).

Can I read out the raw restistance from the coolant and intake temp sensor also ? Is there a list of available 'variables' (in case I want to add something else) ?
TheAlien
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheAlien »

Found out this much by myself: Showing the resistance is not possible, as the 'cpu' only sees a voltage. Can I at least display/log that ?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

TheAlien wrote:So the voltage in the log is already averaged then (from the value in the general lag menue), right ? I am asking because the curve from the voltage in the log looks totally identically to the AFR curve. Even though I am using a rather drastic averaging value of 50%. (just to understand how this works).

Can I read out the raw restistance from the coolant and intake temp sensor also ?
As you found out, no because the Megasquirt doesn't measure it. However, knowing the bias resistor which is typically 2490R you could work it out - why would you want to know anyway?
Is there a list of available 'variables' (in case I want to add something else) ?
Yes, read the ini file.
Search for ochBlockSize and below that there is a list of all the data sent from the ECU.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
TheAlien
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheAlien »

I am using a Bosch 0 280 130 026 CLT sensor (stock sensor) and a GM IAT sensor from diyautotune. The sensors never read the same when I leave the car (let it completely cool down) over night, and the temp is also not close to the outside temperature. Also I second guess the CLT readings when the engine is warmed up are correct. I am in the ballpark, but not exact. This inaccuracy never occurred to me up until I started tuning the idle valve recently...

Bosch CLT 0 280 130 026:
temptable1.JPG
temptable2.JPG
I used:
0C/5896Ohm
50C/834Ohm
100C/187Ohm
Bias 2490Ohm (I heard that even if I use these settings, that I have to change the bias resistor for a bosch sensor to make it accureate. Is that correct or unnecessary when I punch in the above values ?)

GM IAT
-20C (-4F)/15000Ohm
20C (68F)/2500Ohm
60C (140F)/550Ohm
Bias 2490Ohm
TheAlien
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheAlien »

There's something fishy going on here.

I used these values from the table above in MT
Bias 2490Ohm
-40C 45313Ohm
80C 323Ohm
130C 89Ohm

Then I unhooked my JimStim from the MS and Power. And turned the CLT pot until it showed 323Ohm on my voltmeter, measured between GND and the CLT connector.
pickuppoints.JPG
(it actually showed me 3.23 when set to 20k). I even double checked that my voltmeter works by using a 2kOhm resistor (it showed 2.04 on the same '20k' setting). But the TS gauge shows me 22C. It should be at 80C though.
I don't get it. What am I doing wrong ?
TheAlien
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheAlien »

omg, I got it. 3.23 @20k =! 323Ohm
It is 0.323 @ 20k = 323Ohm