IO Gear USB to serialdoes not work

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

Keithg
Super MS/Extra'er

IO Gear USB to serialdoes not work

Post by Keithg »

Phil is aware of this, but one of the "known good" dongles for does not work for TS. The io gear guc232 which is pictured in the megamanual works beautifully with MT but crashes horribly in XP on multiple computers. I am willing to try any suggestion, but it appears to be a java issue or a ts issue.

KeithG
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: IO Gear USB to serialdoes not work

Post by UnaClocker »

I just use those $1 USB-serial adapters that come from HongKong on eBay.. They're Prolink or Proliant or something like that, PL-2303 chip in them.. They work like a champ, I usually buy them 5 at a time and pass them out to friends like candy.. :) I haven't tried them on a 64bit OS, but they work in XP, Vista, 7, OSX, Linux in 32bit mode..
errr.. This is the MS3 forum.. Is the IOGear adapter the one built into the MS3? My post may be completely irrelevant to the MS3. If that's the case, sorry.. :)
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
Keithg
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Keithg »

Una wrote:I just use those $1 USB-serial adapters that come from HongKong on eBay.. They're Prolink or Proliant or something like that, PL-2303 chip in them.. They work like a champ, I usually buy them 5 at a time and pass them out to friends like candy.. :) I haven't tried them on a 64bit OS, but they work in XP, Vista, 7, OSX, Linux in 32bit mode..
errr.. This is the MS3 forum.. Is the IOGear adapter the one built into the MS3? My post may be completely irrelevant to the MS3. If that's the case, sorry.. :)
This has nothing to do with the built in USB. I am using the original serial connector and trying to use my laptop to tune it and I am having a frustrating time with the serial to USB adapter in TS that works just fine in MT.

KeithG
Keithg
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Keithg »

since I cannot edit my post, I'll respond.

This dongle shows up as ATEN USB to Serial. USB\VID_0557&PID_2008

I have installed the latest driver which is 2.0.0.18 It is from 7/16/ 2003. If there is a newer driver, I have not been able to find it. It appears to be a 'Prolific' adapter and they seem to have all exe installers for drivers, so I have not been able to force it to install any other drivers. I tried to install the latest which is on their web site and it still install as the 2.0.0.18 version of the driver. Is there some Java tweak that I can try?

KeithG
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

This is a useless post I'm making, but I just felt compelled to say how it freaks me out that you're talking about a serial to USB converter in an MS3 forum! :shock:

I mean for god's sake, they come with a USB on them, and then you take it off, but don't have a computer with a serial port on it!?!?!?! I'm freaked out! :? Just seems really ironic, that's all.

Thad
--'98 Dodge Neon ACR Turbo - MS3 beta test car - Sold
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

I know you desoldered the USB connector on your MS3 to get more space in the case, and I can't say I wouldn't have done the same (maybe not to a beta test unit), but you're now sitting on a known good USB-serial adapter that you can't use.. What I'd do is take a spare USB cable, cut the end off of it, and solder it to the holes on the MS. Then you get access to the USB-serial adapter, without the big connector. I think Tjabo's solution to the big connector in a small case is a better route..
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

That's interesting that it's a Prolific with a 2.0.0.18 driver from 7/16/2003 because I have a cheap USB adapter from Ebay that is simply seen as a Prolific USB-to-Serial Bridge and the driver is 2.0.0.24 from 01/12/2003. I wouldn't be able to say if it works with MS3 but it works perfectly fine with TS on MS2/Extra (and with MT).

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Keithg
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Keithg »

racingmini_mtl wrote:That's interesting that it's a Prolific with a 2.0.0.18 driver from 7/16/2003 because I have a cheap USB adapter from Ebay that is simply seen as a Prolific USB-to-Serial Bridge and the driver is 2.0.0.24 from 01/12/2003. I wouldn't be able to say if it works with MS3 but it works perfectly fine with TS on MS2/Extra (and with MT).

Jean
Jean,

Could you please email me the driver that you used? All I have found from Prolific are the exe based installers that I cannot extract the drivers from. I would need the inf, cat and sys file for it. I can try to see if it works any differently.

Keith
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Keith,

Was space in the case the only reason you removed the USB port from your board, or was there another reason? If it was just space, then I guess I can talk myself out of being so freaked out by the irony! :lol:

I'm really looking forward to a new case, and if one isn't out around the same timeframe as the expander boards, I guess I'll probably just get a EAF-400 and hack it up like I did my other case, but at least this time I'll be able to just hack up an end plate or two.

Thad
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
Keithg
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Keithg »

Yes, it was space. I did not want to have my case open while I am driving my car. Maybe I am weird that way, but I do not want to burn it to the ground. I also do not know if I am jazzed about a new case. The current one fits very nicely and has resided there for 4 years.

KeithG
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Could do something like this (don't know if you saw it already or not):

http://www.ms3efi.com/forums/search.php ... 5&start=70

It actually doesn't look too bad in the car--better than it seems like it does from looking at the in-car picture I posted.

I have happily stashed my serial cable away, and don't intend to get it back out!

Thad
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I can understand about wanting to have a closed case. However a taller case is certainly required for non-butchered MS3 installs and the MS3X board.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Keithg
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Keithg »

James,

I hope that is an interrim solution. As we previously discussed, it seems a waste to have a V3 board and only use the map, power supply and a couple simple analog input circuits for an installation.

KeithG
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

You mean it seems like a waste to use it for what it was originally intended to do for the most part (aside of course from the injector outputs)?

EDIT: The original V3 wasn't designed to do what we've made it do with ms2/extra. With the ms3 and ms3x in there, it's back to doing mostly only what it was intended to do... maybe slightly less.

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

keithg wrote:Jean,

Could you please email me the driver that you used? All I have found from Prolific are the exe based installers that I cannot extract the drivers from. I would need the inf, cat and sys file for it. I can try to see if it works any differently.

Keith
Keith,

The sys file is easy to find but the others, not so much. I imagine you're talking about the driver from the Prolific site: http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31. Why can't you use the exe?

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Keithg
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Keithg »

Jean,

I grabbed it and ran the exe, but still get the same driver. I was going to force a different driver, but need the inf and sys files to do that.

Keith
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

That's interesting that it's a Prolific with a 2.0.0.18 driver from 7/16/2003 because I have a cheap USB adapter from Ebay that is simply seen as a Prolific USB-to-Serial Bridge and the driver is 2.0.0.24 from 01/12/2003. I wouldn't be able to say if it works with MS3 but it works perfectly fine with TS on MS2/Extra (and with MT).
I bought an IOGear from newegg to try to reproduce the BSOD and see if I can come up with a work around. It came with the same 2.0.0.18 driver and works fine. So far I haven't gotten a BSOD on XP. So I'm thinking it isn't that straight forward, it seems more like the driver isn't protecting against some resource conflicts. So it maybe a combination that creates a potential for a resource conflict and exposes the driver bug.

I plan to get back to seeing if I can try to create the conflict and cause it...
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
Keithg
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Keithg »

OK, well I tried an unorthodox modification that appears to work. I installed the driver, but substituted an older (win2k) version of the SER2PL.SYS file. If anyone wants to try this, please let me know if it works for you. I drove in this morning on my old tuning laptop (w/o battery) and had 0 resets and 0 BSODs. It seems to work just fine. I'll try my other laptop with this this evening/tomorrow.

The way I installed it was to open up the device manager, find the installed and plugged in serial port, Click the driver tab, select uninstall then select 'scan for hardware changes' when it reinstalls the driver (it showed up as ATEN USB to serial), I selected the ser2pl.sys file in the archive attached. When you go to the driver -> Driver details , the ser2pl.sys file shows up as version 1.5.0.0.

KeithG
Keithg
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Keithg »

Ding Ding Ding!!! It seems we have a winner. I was able to fire up, log and edit config on both computers with the IO gear dongle and this modified driver install. It seems to be pretty stable.

KeithG
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

That is cool Keith. It is just the sort of work around I was hoping to find. I will make it available somewhere for people.
Thanks!
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html