Anyone useing a netbook?

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Anyone useing a netbook?

Post by LT401Vette »

For MLV or running and log analysis I would choose something with a bit more horsepower.
MLV does take more resources, that is why I want to keep it separate for now. However if it is just Analyzing that is killing you on the tablet, you might want to give the beta MLV a try:
http://www.efianalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/beta/

It looks much the same, but there are quite a few changes under the hood, mostly to reintegrate components that were branched and enhanced in TunerStudio.

But there is also a pretty big change to the VE Analyze Engine. It is 15 times faster and uses far less memory with large log files. I have only really tested it on Speed density setups with WB sensors.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
jkxr4ti
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jkxr4ti »

I'll have to try that Beta version on one of my old logs. Unfortunately I wont be doing any real tuning till the spring.
Jeremy Kemp

88 Merkur XR4Ti, MS2 V3, FW3.3.2, TFI Coil Control, EEC-IV adapter, Deka 80LB HiZ injectors, VAG N75 Boost Control Valve.
cygnus x-1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cygnus x-1 »

jkxr4ti wrote:Hi Wes. Ive conversed a bit with you over on turboford.
The netbooks certainly seem tempting and would work well for changing a few parameters while sitting in a parkinglot/driveway i'm sure. From my experience a touchscreen is alot easier to deal with in a moving vehicle even when tuning from the passenger seat. I'm running an old Fujitsu C500 tablet with a celeron 500 processor. With tunerstudio it runs great especially with the gauge layout full screen. For MLV or running and log analysis I would choose something with a bit more horsepower. I have been keeping my eye on some of the newer Fujitsu tablets with the 900MHz processors and they are going for ~200 on ebay as well.

Jeremy

Now that's interesting. I started out with a C500 tablet and I couldn't get it to work with TS for anything. Megatune was ok but TS would crash constantly. I also found the touch screen was nearly impossible to use in my car (very stiff suspension). So I bought a newer one that has the Transmeta CPU in it (I forget the model now). It works but it's hideously slow. Slower than the C500 in fact and it's supposed to be an 800MHz CPU. Oh, I remember now, it was a Lifebook P1120. Do not buy one of these.

The Eee PC works great. The keyboard and screen are a bit small for extended use but you get used to it and it's just so convenient to carry around. I bought mine on ebay as a refurbished unit for about $170. Honestly for that price there is nothing else that compares.

C|
jkxr4ti
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jkxr4ti »

My LT-C500 works well enough that ive considered mounting it permanently in the car for a gauge panel. It boots up within 20-30 sec with windows 2000 in hibernate mode and TS studio connects without issue. What I wish was a little better for tuning was the touchscreen support on the 3D maps. Its a little tough to drag the map points with the stylus alone.
Jeremy Kemp

88 Merkur XR4Ti, MS2 V3, FW3.3.2, TFI Coil Control, EEC-IV adapter, Deka 80LB HiZ injectors, VAG N75 Boost Control Valve.
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

Its a little tough to drag the map points with the stylus alone.
i should have some sort buttons there... At some point i want to put some effort into a touch screen mode / version.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
65looter
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 65looter »

that beta version is FAST, I mean seriously FAST. Well done :D
Ford 342 stroker | 4inj.TBI
MS2/Extra beta RC3 2.1.0 20090611
cygnus x-1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cygnus x-1 »

65looter wrote:that beta version is FAST, I mean seriously FAST. Well done :D
Oooh, is there a linux version of this beta?

C|
cygnus x-1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cygnus x-1 »

jkxr4ti wrote:My LT-C500 works well enough that ive considered mounting it permanently in the car for a gauge panel. It boots up within 20-30 sec with windows 2000 in hibernate mode and TS studio connects without issue. What I wish was a little better for tuning was the touchscreen support on the 3D maps. Its a little tough to drag the map points with the stylus alone.

I had mine mounted in the car using the desktop "docking station" so that I could pull it out and take it with me. It was really cool with the gauge panel full screen but I found that the touch screen was just to cumbersome to use for tuning. And the screen was also really hard to see in sunlight. I think that's a common problem with non-CRTs in general but the netbook seems to be a little better in this respect than the tablet was.

What would be REALLY awesome would be a way to use TS in place of the stock gauge cluster. The trick would be finding a display that fit correctly.

C|
65looter
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 65looter »

just download, unzip, run.
cygnus x-1 wrote: Oooh, is there a linux version of this beta?
C|
Ford 342 stroker | 4inj.TBI
MS2/Extra beta RC3 2.1.0 20090611
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

I use a Dell Mini9 for all my tuning lately. Cheapy $1 eBay USB-serial adapter, Win7, 1GB of ram, and it flies. I can actually run TunerStudio in the background, fire up MLV, load up and process a log, then go back to TS and import the new VE table (obviously not as necessary in the latest versions, but still very handy). Oh, and every evening when I get home, I hit the power button, it instantly goes to sleep. I don't even exit TS. When I go back out to the van in the morning, I hit that power button again, it wakes right back up and doesn't miss a beat, TS doesn't have a single complaint.
I do turn off Anti-Aliasing.. Seems worthless to me. ;)
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

Got a Linux eeepc 901 (2g ram, 1.6ghz atom, 4g sshd). After changing from the default linux distribution to a netbook optimized unbuntu distribution (known as easy peasy) it works great. It runs TS and MLVV great, and seams to be faster with those applications than my standard laptop for some strange reason.
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition