MAP sensor calibration

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

navywings22
MS/Extra Newbie

MAP sensor calibration

Post by navywings22 »

My MAP sensor does not seem to be reading correctly and I am trying to diagnose my problem. I have the 3-bar MAP sensor from SymTech installed internally in my MS unit. I have TunerStudio installed and operating. I believe I may just have a calibration issue instead of a total MAP sensor failure. When I pull down the menu to calibrate the MAP sensor it gives me these options:

Custom
MPX4115
MPX4250
MPXH6300
GM-3bar
MPXH6400

I was using the MPXH6300 calibration and at rest the gauge reads around 200kpa. I live close to the coast so I would assume I am looking for around 100kpa. I tried the other options and they all came up with different static readings as low as ~80kpa and as high as the gauge can read.

Which calibration setting should I be using for the 3-bar MAP sensor that is installed in my MS unit?

Is there a better way to test this MAP sensor?

Thanks,
David
navywings22
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: MAP sensor calibration

Post by navywings22 »

For an update; I have MPXH6300 set. Sitting still with the motor off and with it idling my MAP reads ~200kpa. When I drive around (only down the street a few blocks) it reads around ~70-80kpa and my calibration setting automatically reads "Custom" but has the same values as before. When I got back and it was idling in the garage it was reading ~13-14kpa. It read the same after I cut the engine off. It is about 72* F outside. My engine temp reached ~185* and intake air temp was ~115*

I feel like it has a mind of its own and does whatever it wants to do.

A more intelligent thought is that the vacuum line I am using could be getting too hot and altering the readings. It's a stretch though...
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

I am not sure what the correct calibration numbers are for that sensor, but as for the:
my calibration setting automatically reads "Custom" but has the same values as before.
It appears to always be coming up as custom? It doesn't hurt anything but could lead to confusion. I will have to look at that.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
navywings22
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by navywings22 »

Yeah, confusion is the word of the day for me. All arrows are pointing to the MAP sensor being bad, unfortunately. I believe I will be packing the MS up and sending it back to SymTech to get tested/replaced.