TunerStudio on Android?

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

SQLGUY
Master MS/Extra'er

TunerStudio on Android?

Post by SQLGUY »

Hi Phil,

If you remember, I was playing around with trying to get TS running on a Dell Axim X50v / Windows Mobile with Mysaifu, a fairly beta JVM from Japan. I did make a bit more progress (app launch, able to access a couple of menus), but overall it really didn't look like the Dell had the memory or a strong enough JVM to run TS.

Anyway, in the meantime, I bought a Motorola Droid. It's got more memory than the Dell, more storage, and faster pretty much everything. It also runs a Java-based OS, but it's not Sun Java, it's Dalvik. I talked to another Droid user at work, who also happens to be one of our best developers, about what would be involved in porting something like TunerStudio to it. He felt that it would be pretty doable, and was interested in such a project. Of course, that would mean needing access to TS source code. Is this something you'd be interested in exploring?

Thanks,
Paul
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: TunerStudio on Android?

Post by LT401Vette »

It is doable and in the plan, but not a small effort. Android is Java based like you said, but the trouble is, as it is not Sun Java. So what that means is it does not have the same supporting libraries. Java is just the syntax, but without the cor libraries you will need to find the equivalent Dalvik library or just write it yourself. But in reality, most of the libraries that applies to are the GUI libraries; which you would want to change quite a bit for a little touch screen device anyway.... All the bit paring, comm managing, ini parsing stuff is pretty much written from Object. So those will port easy enough.

I have a mobile strategy that I think will work better, I hope I can make the time to execute on it.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
defiance
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by defiance »

Awesome, good to hear - count me in as an interested party as well :)
The years-long project: http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=3043

Other info (stereo, interior, etc):
http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/2324498
24c
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 24c »

LT401Vette wrote:I have a mobile strategy that I think will work better, I hope I can make the time to execute on it.
I hope it includes the iPhone OS,(wishful thinking), became an .app, then maybe I could use an iPad as a screen dash all 9.7" of it! :)
Yamaha GTS1000 v2 MicroSquirt, B&G 2.891
Yamaha GTS1000 v3 beta MicroSquirt, B&G3.760
Yamaha GTS1000 MSExtra 3.1, Dual VR Board
Yamaha YZF1000 MSExtra 3.1
Safir
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Safir »

+1

I'd be down with having TS/MLV on my Nexus :)
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

24c wrote:
LT401Vette wrote:I have a mobile strategy that I think will work better, I hope I can make the time to execute on it.
I hope it includes the iPhone OS,(wishful thinking), became an .app, then maybe I could use an iPad as a screen dash all 9.7" of it! :)
Heck yeah, build a dock for the iPad in the dash of your car, and run TS on it while you're driving.. Man that would be sooo awesome. :yeah!: With any luck, Apple will include a JVM for the iPad. I've seen some very impressive tuning software for the iPhone. That app uses a device that plugs into the OBD2 port on any car and transmits the data over 802.11 wifi, and the phone just logs into the car's WCAN.. 8) I wonder if there's an RS232 to 802.11 adapter out there that could do the same for us.. Then we just need TS ported.. 8)
As for releasing the source, the source for MegaTunix is out, and nobody touches it.. I don't think it'd be a good idea to release the source for TS, I'd hate to see it stolen and used with some other aftermarket ECM.. I think it gives the MS a nice edge on the competition. (That's a compliment.. :D )
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

I think it gives the MS a nice edge on the competition.
Thank you :)
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
Chameleon
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Chameleon »

I am also interested in TS on Android now that I have a MegaSquirt built & installed by UnaClocker. :D
Marc D
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Marc D »

Add me onto the interested list!
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Every day I dream of a Tuning/Dashboard app on an iPad.. :) Multitouch gauges, man that'd make for a pleasant gauge designing session. :)
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
24c
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 24c »

I can't wait for an .app, i see various apps now for Rev, Innovate etc and think how long before it will happen. Unfortunate Steve Jobs has ruled out cross platform compilers in the software development kit, so Java to .app is a rewrite for Phil and all its problems/learning curves. I just wonder whether I will see it happen.
Yamaha GTS1000 v2 MicroSquirt, B&G 2.891
Yamaha GTS1000 v3 beta MicroSquirt, B&G3.760
Yamaha GTS1000 MSExtra 3.1, Dual VR Board
Yamaha YZF1000 MSExtra 3.1
M30guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by M30guy »

UnaClocker wrote:Every day I dream of a Tuning/Dashboard app on an iPad.. :) Multitouch gauges, man that'd make for a pleasant gauge designing session. :)
Well there are other tablets that run on windows already.
That big iphone (ipad) sux. :P
Ms2-3.4.2 v3.0 .
Turbo BMW m30b35.
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Let's try not to get into a holy war over which one did it right. The app just needs to be written, by someone, soon. If I could code my way out of a wet paper bag, I'd be plugging away at it right now, if not for fortune, at least for fame. ;) And really because I want one of these as a dashboard. I've fired up XCode a couple times, but I don't have a clue where to start, or how.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

add me to this list, definiitly
I think tweaking to window CE6.0 or the google android app would be incredible!!
having a $100 7" stand alone touchscreen to tune with would just be awsome!
v2.2 box, ms2, dual wheel, sequential ignition, staged injection, boost control, maf
'87 VW scirocco, 2L16V, TD0-14T turbo, itbs
xrattiracer
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by xrattiracer »

I need to take a stab at getting it to run on my mobile of choice, the Nokia N900. Its a pure linux device at heart, just doesnt have a jvm easily available (due to some stupid licensing restrictions by Sun).
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

That's the big problem with the iPhone as well.. No JVM.. uncle Steve probably doesn't like Java or something.. hehe..
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
M30guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by M30guy »

There is a tablet called the iped running on android also.
Ms2-3.4.2 v3.0 .
Turbo BMW m30b35.
20B3rdgen
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 20B3rdgen »

I just got a Evo 4G droid with a 1ghz processor and a 4.3" (bigger than iPhone, hey me) and would love an app for it to use my BT connection. I volunteer to be a beta tester.
RX-7 turbo with MS2extra
gurov
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gurov »

for the time being, until TS is actually ported to android, get yourself a laptop with windows7, install "connectify" on it to turn it into a hotspot, connect to it with your ipod/ipad/android/iphone, and use an RDP app (android has WYSE pocketcloud for free, iphone os has something similar) these effectively get you the same stuff, without having to wait for the ported app.
2020 BMW X3M - bm3 - stage1
1994 Supra - ms3pnp pro - j&s
TeamRTSHOLLAND
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TeamRTSHOLLAND »

Hi Guys,

Is there anything new?

I would really like it when I can use a tablet with Google Adroid or Windows CE in my car.

Or am I looking in the wrong topic and there is some new stuff ?