TunerStudio on Android?

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

y8s
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: TunerStudio on Android?

Post by y8s »

As I mentioned, I have a bluesmirf that I got from sparkfun a while back. it's TTL but paired with a (free sample) MAX233 chip it does RS232 compatible with any serial port.

Also, many serial devices provide power over one of the 9 pins (I forget which).

The HTC Incredible pairs with it no problem since you pair the device and then the software simply uses it as a standard serial over bluetooth device. Once paired, software like Torque just *works*. It automatically connects and streams OBDII data.

JustinHoMi: do you have the apk for your app? Even if just to see how easy it is to use with my bluetooth?
Quan-Time
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Quan-Time »

i have a max3232 here which would do fine with a bluesmirf. Ive yet to get myself a dongle. Looks like ill have to get some solution this week and work on it from there.
join the (non official) Megasquirt IRC chat channel
##megasquirt @ irc.freenode.net
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=% ... irt&uio=d4 - click here to join live via java web-client, its instant !
http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?f=92 ... de#p204682
y8s
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by y8s »

I made this first for playing with my vacuum.. then converted it over to a db9 instead.

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2006/0 ... oth_i.html
JustinHoMi
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JustinHoMi »

y8s wrote: JustinHoMi: do you have the apk for your app? Even if just to see how easy it is to use with my bluetooth?
y8s: I'll send you a PM. I'd like to see how well it works with the bluesmirf.
[L'e$kro]
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by [L'e$kro] »

y8s wrote: Also, many serial devices provide power over one of the 9 pins (I forget which).
You have to give a 5v feed on pin #9
source:
http://www.megamanual.com/com/bluetooth.html

I'm using a bluetooth dongle on my ms2extra setup, it works fine
Nicolas
Nitrobanshee
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Nitrobanshee »

One Sigestion would be ad the accel meter in datalogs based off of GPS. This may be good for tuning ignition timing, or trying to tune a very mad 2stroke motor.
1995 Nissan Pickup truck running Megasquirt V2.2 MSII 2.88 EDIS with a turbo.
Dyno #s 354WHP 381 Foot pounds 20 Pounds of Boost.
KA24E-t Power
Quan-Time
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Quan-Time »

i disagree on that point. Ive already looked into GPS / axis meters as input devices. There is a way to do it, but i wont go over it here.
To be put lightly, its not an easy task, but it is achievable.
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=% ... irt&uio=d4 - click here to join live via java web-client, its instant !
rx7_ben
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rx7_ben »

Quan-Time wrote:If i did this, would anyone be hugely interested / want it ? Please note that you would 100% NEED a BT dongle too.. So it would cost a few coins on your end. If this is needed / wanted by others, ill grab a dongle and start hackin some code / dev work.
I for one would be hugely interested in this! It would be fantastic if I could datalog at the racetrack via BT and make changes on the fly at the track without having to lug an annoying laptop around.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S.
Lapkritis
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Lapkritis »

Tuning over an android device using blue tooth? Yes, I would be in.
-Andrew
Quan-Time
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Quan-Time »

i havnt forgotten about this project, ive just got some other priorities and things to do. Plus being the "festive" season doesnt help Sapping all my free time. Check the time stamp on this post for my local time to see what i mean.

AS for "tuning" i dont think its really a... smart idea. Logging yes, and some basic setup yes.. Hard tuning of tables id probably suggest against at this stage.

Later in the new year ill smash some code together and work it all out. Ill start a new thread then and be asking for help. Wait and see how it all goes.
MS2tester
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by MS2tester »

could it be interesting to see if you could run tunerstudio on a ubuntu phone
this way you would not have to reinvent the wheel
http://dailymobile.se/2010/02/21/ubuntu ... okia-n900/
http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2010/03/1 ... ns-ubuntu/
http://tutorial.downloadatoz.com/how-to ... phone.html

it is offcourse very unclair how much functionality it would have
but it could be a start
Quan-Time
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Quan-Time »

Porting an app is TOTALLY different to having your phone "converted" to running ubuntu (or any sort of *nix / debian distro), and running it native.

TS is payware / shareware. Its not open source, so not something i could port (easily). Yes given time i believe I could do it. Saying that, android does NOT run java, which TS is coded in. So it would require a whole re-write of the code base. Why would you rewrite another program, when you could just write your own ?

TS is not a direction i want to head in. If Phil wants to do it, which has hinted at previously, all the more power to him. DJ (dave from megatunix) has hinted at a possible apple phone app, again.. More power to him if he can pull it off.

MY personal goal for a project would come in many stages. First being connection and communication, 2nd is logging, 3 is displaying RTD in text format, 4 is gfx implementation and 5th and final is clean up and make it usable / presentable. All stages of my work would be open source, take suggestions, etc.
A few people have already said they have done it previously. How far they took their work is yet to be publish and publicly seen, but i think its fantastic that others have already done it.

Its obviously LOTS of people want this. There is no point writing an app which people dont like tho. This is why i would take constant feedback / ideas. Its not a "omg omg do this coz i want my name on that app for my resume / portfolio" or some s***. If its a genuinely good idea and other like it, BAM im sure something could be worked out.

One thing i said before, and ive been throwing around in my head is to include GPS data in a 2 fold way. 1: display speed in your log / live on your phone. 2: log your trip on a holiday or something and upload it via some free mapping software for other to see / share your journey.
How well that log can be viewed / handled is unknown. I imagine megalogviewer could be tweaked to handle extra stuff quite easily. That or save the gps to some ADC channel and fudge the numbers. Again, something that owuld have to be investigated.

Im really happy / positive that others want to do this. It means we can get a BUNCH of data done really fast. If / when i release some code (.apk to be installed manually) i would need some basic grunt work. Someone with ms1, ms2, v2.2, v3, v3.57, ms3, and all corresponding firmware for each one. And a bunch of different phones.
I HUGELY suspect there would be no complications, But if for some reason a ms2, v2.2, with XYZ firmware CANT get it to work, but CAN with ZYX, then that would need to be investigated further. One all known combinations have been successfully tested, then its much easier to move along knowing we wont have to back track to get stuff redone.

So someone with a (jim)stim and their MS unit on a bench, logging a quick bit of data, saving the firmware to the PC / MAC and uploaded to confirm its status, then them reflashing another firmware, repeating the process. In a day you could probably test 10 or so firmwares, and then load your "proper" one back on with all your real settings.
The stim is just to make sure TPS, RPM, CLT O2 work as expected. The log file would save with a fingerprint saying what happened. Such as phone model / firmware, MS hardware and firmware, and the log file.
If others are able to load up the log and have it work properly and view it, then bingo, we know that combination works.
HUGE overkill i know, but it would make a really stable and reliant set of data for others to KNOW which works.

Palmlog debacle anyone ? Raise your hand if you had to re-read the "this works with this cable / serial data mod" thing more than twice. I know i did.

Until next year ill leave it for others to think about. Go forth and read the google docs on android dev which i linked earlier and see whats possible.. Look for ways to make a visual analog gauge. Or a bar-graph, or ways to write log files to the SD card. Etc.. The more people that can learn about this, the better and easier this will happen.
zet-jaro
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by zet-jaro »

dude, i've been reading this topic from it's begining and I thing it's awsome!! :)))

I'm from University of Zagreb, Croatia and part of Croatian Formula Student team so I would really want that app on my mobile showing data from our formula :))) anyway, I'm more interesting in RTD than anything else and sure guarantee U that HTC will be informed about this as some kind of success story :)))) unfortunately, I can't help U with my knowledge :((( but be sure that this will be introduced on TV in Cro and on competition in Silverstone, UK :)))))
Firefox
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Firefox »

Regarding the CES and all the new and powerful Android tablets coming up this year there would be a big demand in the future for TS on Android!

With tablet from ASUS (Transformer or slider) you've got big screens and powerful hardware. Just display a navigaiton cross for up/down/left/right navigation and a +- button to increase or decrease a VE value. Where's the problem with tuning it with a tablet? I use an Asus 701 eeePC since years and i'm able to tune my cars with it without a problem.

I'm willing to pay 40-50 bucks for a software like this. Android and tablets are the future and will grow fast and strong I think.....
mcgavinz26
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mcgavinz26 »

Phil,
Thanks for developing such an awesome program. I'm looking forward to it. Keep up the good work. Yes, I registered just to make this post.
1994 Z26 - parted out in '07
2000 C5 with 6spd - Sold
1988 Fiero GT
rfurgy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by rfurgy »

This is an idea that must be made reality. I too just signed up to let my voice be heard here. As a current Samsung Galaxy S owner, I would greatly benefit from this path of tuning.

I'll try and make this short. I have no MS experience but have experience with automobiles and computers. My current project will be getting a full blown MS3 stand alone just because I need to delete my AFM and this is best route with future mods in mind. Along with that I will actually be picking up a tablet PC specifically for the car. The tablet PC will have Android 2.2 as well as Windows CE 6.0. Need be I can always install a different OS for the time being and make it a triple boot system. I too wouldn't know where to start with the coding but I sure know how to work with hardware. Installing boards, chips, expansion devices (HDD's, optical drives, video, cooling, etc....). I'm also very familiar with flashing BIOS chips on motherboards (which I'm sure is very similar to flashing a MS unit).

I have desktops and a laptop available to use to tune if needed but the goal is not need anything more than the tablet in the dash. That being said, this project will be coming into play over the next couple months. I need to still pick up my MS3 Kit but that won't take me very long. Getting it installed and running is the trick due to financial restrictions and other fixes needing to be done with the car at the same time. Don't get me wrong though, I should have the car together enough to have it up and running with the MS3 by April at the latest.

With that in mind, I'm sure I can totally help out with some testing of hardware and software compatibility. Will even root my phone and install some Linux if needed.

All in all, this is no joke and I'm not just some wishful thinker. The car has been getting worked on since September just for its first real once over to fix major issues and recondition usable old parts. I have a car that deserves MS3 and it's going to get it.

Hope this helps you all get pumped up again :shock:
FricFrac
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by FricFrac »

I've been thinking about running a permanant set up in my car for data logging, gauges, etc from MS. I was looking at a 12V display and perferably with a touch screen. Then the tablet PC's started to look more desireable but it seems like the Android tablets will be giving us the best bang for the buck. If we can interface via bluetooth to the MS it's just too easy to mount an Android Tablet in a custom mount on the car. Not only with the availability of the Tablets but phones have fairly lage displays, huge memory and external SD cards which would make Android the ideal second platform for the Tuner Studio software. I'll use my Netbook for now but I'm hoping one day we'll have the option of running it on Android as well. Right now I've got a Galaxy S and MS3 with the optional daughter card if you need a test plaform for any beta work....
hassmaschine
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hassmaschine »

is there no java runtime engine for Linux? It seems there should be. Maybe you'd have to root the phone to get it on android.

obviously the interface would need to be different -and phil is busy just getting it to 1.0. Maybe if there was at least some framework support for the interface put in place, the rest could be done with custom dashes etc. maybe a lot of the dialog boxes could be done through *.ini changes? have an android/smartphone *.ini? That would take some burden off Phil. I think it already supports bluetooth?
Firefox
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Firefox »

I'm Using this tablet at the moment. http://www.efox-shop.com/zenithink-zt-1 ... 0-p-108392

Really cool and it works really good with android 2.2 on it. It has a 10" screen with enough resolution to use TS on it. ;-)

Reading all the forums of it, it's even possible to install Win CE on it. Has someone ever tried to run TS on Win CE? I've never used Win CE so i'm a virgin with it :-)

If it's running on Win CE I will install the dual boot ROM for it wich has Android and Win CE :-)
AtlantaZ
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AtlantaZ »

I just acquired a Droid X and am building a Megasquirt II V3.0 setup for fuel/spark control. Any of you guys looking to develop an analog gauge interface for Megasquirt on an Android device - count me in as a test mule!!! I have a standard Megastim (not JimStim) board that I can use, or I can just log data from my test drives.

Let's make this happen this year!!