TunerStudio on Android?

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

hassmaschine
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: TunerStudio on Android?

Post by hassmaschine »

Getting the data stream is a simple "A" command, but getting anything useful from outpc requires project setup nd ini parsing, whiich are not trivial.

I did find out Android supports perl though, which makes the ini part easier (for me).
piledriver wrote:There are some tablets coming on the market running Maemo (linux), Suns(oracles) JVM is available for Maemo.
(Maemo==Intels smartphone/tablet Linux distro)

Many of the tablets/phones have had Ubuntu or such ported as well, they would also run TS out of the box.

What would the command sequence be to simply grab data for logging and stuff it in a series of timestamped files?
Sounds like a bash script is all that's needed, a line or so of perl at most.

It would be handy to be able to tweak settings via a handheld if a CHT sensor died or such, but I could imagine going blind quickly.
(perl does run on android)

The ithings would be the only ones needing a program written.
(...perl runs on ios as well...)

Also, AFAICT, the same MS serial commands are used on CAN so...
http://www.honeysw.com/canproject.php
hassmaschine
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hassmaschine »

Getting the data stream is a simple "A" command, but getting anything useful from outpc requires project setup nd ini parsing, whiich are not trivial.

I did find out Android supports perl though, which makes the ini part easier (for me).
piledriver wrote:There are some tablets coming on the market running Maemo (linux), Suns(oracles) JVM is available for Maemo.
(Maemo==Intels smartphone/tablet Linux distro)

Many of the tablets/phones have had Ubuntu or such ported as well, they would also run TS out of the box.

What would the command sequence be to simply grab data for logging and stuff it in a series of timestamped files?
Sounds like a bash script is all that's needed, a line or so of perl at most.

It would be handy to be able to tweak settings via a handheld if a CHT sensor died or such, but I could imagine going blind quickly.
(perl does run on android)

The ithings would be the only ones needing a program written.
(...perl runs on ios as well...)

Also, AFAICT, the same MS serial commands are used on CAN so...
http://www.honeysw.com/canproject.php
jnovak
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jnovak »

Yes, on my datalogger (code in C+ on a microcontroller) I use the [A,0,6] command to retrieve the full outpc buffer. This is a string of bytes that have to be parsed and converted (scaled) to pull out the variables with the correct assignments.

If I could figure out how to port this to Android I am pretty sure I could make this work. I have downloaded the development tools (Eclipse) and gone through a few tutorials but the learning curve is steep for me. I have no formal training in programming.
squirting old Porsches one at a time
lappy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by lappy »

I guess this is more aimed at Phil, but I came across these two links. The first one is a compiler that takes Java based applications and compiles them in .apk. I know there has been talk about the available libraries but I thought this would be worth mentioning. I requires the source code so Phil you would be the only one who could try it, or feel free to shoot me down as I am not a programmer.

The second one is an emulation software for Java applications on android that "works" in real time, this could be tried by anyone who has an android device which is not me yet. I will be getting one eventually but I really would like to know that this would get off the ground.

http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/j2ab

http://www.netmite.com/android/index.html
wicked93gs
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by wicked93gs »

Just wanted to bump this thread to see if there has been any progress, sadly my programming skills are old and insufficient for the task, otherwise I would be working on it myself. I would love to install a 7" android tablet in the dash as a permanent installation that would allow me to tune on the fly as well as keep an eye on parameters that my gauges dont cover
1977 Toyota Celica liftback GT
2.4L Dodge/Mitsubishi 424A engine swap
MS3x firmware v1.0.0

1987 Merkur XR4Ti
16valve Volvo Head conversion
MS2 extra and HE351ve turbo...work in progress
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

wicked93gs wrote:Just wanted to bump this thread to see if there has been any progress, sadly my programming skills are old and insufficient for the task, otherwise I would be working on it myself. I would love to install a 7" android tablet in the dash as a permanent installation that would allow me to tune on the fly as well as keep an eye on parameters that my gauges dont cover
There are several ~inexpensive 7" and 10" tablets that can run a real Linux distro, now, and run real Sun//Oracle Java, now.
The only gotcha is that it must be a USB host device and that the kernel supports USB>serial devices, the vast majority of adapters should be supported.
(MOST are set up this way)

Don't limit yourself to Android... It technically IS Linux, but with severe limitations, as it is dumbed down and it expects you to be a good little consumer.
(no userland, basically uses the Linux kernel and the google-almost-but-not-quite-Java VM on top)

I'm still looking ...
...prices are staying ~static as hardware specs are going up, but I'm not buying ANYTHING if I can't ALSO stick a real Linux distro on it, even if its Ubuntu.
Android is neat but it's not enough for me, many tablets have 10X-100X the power of the Unix workstations of yore.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
hassmaschine
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hassmaschine »

yes if you just want to run TS on a linux tablet (with *real* linux, whatever that's supposed to mean) then you can do that now. There's also a tablet that runs windows 7 if you wanted to do basically the same thing without the smugness. ;)

But that doesn't really have anything to do with this thread... also, the development enviroment for Android is quite open, and has a lot of really great/powerful features. I don't really care about what version of linux it doesn't run and if the Java implimentation isn't exactly java. It's a cell phone, not a workstation.

The deal with a version of TS (or some other software) made specifically for something like iOS or Android is the interface will be *made* for a touchscreen, specifically. Just sticking TS as it is now on a tablet would basically give you a Windows interface with a touchscreen. That doesn't even begin to tap into the potential that is there.

I think the idea with an iOS or Android tuning software is you almost always have your phone with you. That in itself is quite powerful - my laptop is definitely far faster, but it's much harder to lug around. it's not so you can have the fastest or best machine ever to tune your car. How much power do you really need to adjust your timing and VE maps, anyway? :)

and how many other cell phones can run Perl scripts? :p
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

I was more referencing the 7" tablet (big phone) fornat, .vs @4.3" ...
Sorry if I came off dissing Android that much... it's really good for what it's for.
On a phone form factor, it's almost perfect.

OTOH, Meego isn't bad either, and it fits a reasonable definition of a "real" linux distro, and has real Sun Java.
(and you can build a std userland for it, etc)
I almost pulled thr trigger on an N900 a few weeks ago just for the reasons you gave.
(Specifically to run TS and not have to lug a 9 lb rugged laptop around, although it's great excersize ;-) )

I commute 80++ miles/day with MS, and although I am actually at the point where I'm really not jacking with it, it would still be nice to have just in case, if only to keep an eye on CHT on some 111 degree day.

When I said "real" linux distro, that would mean a Linux kernel AND all the 10-30K existing Unix apps that go with it, including several hundred "standard" apps, including bash, perl, python etc.
Android uses the Linux kernel to run the hardware and wings it from there.
(not necessarily a bad thing)
OTOH, with Oracle suing Google, the most likely outcome is Google will pay Oracle $huge piles of money and then a JVM will be automagically become available for Android.
This would invite perhaps having different "skins" for different UI form factors/sizes etc, over a common logic layer.

TS runs pretty well on my 12" touch screen as-is, (used at arms length, it's about the same effective resolution as a phone)
...could use a bit finer control of font size etc YMMV.
Last edited by piledriver on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
hassmaschine
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hassmaschine »

I'm sure it does, it would be sweet for sure. But I already have a phone and a pretty nice laptop. :)

I also don't really envision doing the basic setup for MS on something like android - trigger settings, constants, etc. It just seems like a laptop (or a large tablet like yours) would work best for that, although it could certainly be done. I bet it would just be a bit exhausting on a small screen. The appeal to me is intergration with some of the other very powerful APIs, and of course bluetooth.. no more cables! :) And if I want to do a couple tweaks or adjust my timing/spark maps, my phone is right there.

can you imagine the guys at the dyno, when they ask what ECU you have, you tell them MS, then you pull out your little Android and start tuning? The big boys are mostly still stuck in the stone age with their tuning interfaces..
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

FWIW...Rumor has it Java will be available on IOS RFSN.
(Doesn't help with Android much tho)
[L'e$kro]
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by [L'e$kro] »

piledriver wrote:FWIW
What?
piledriver wrote:Java will be available on IOS
Source?
piledriver wrote:RFSN
What?

Nico
24c
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 24c »

piledriver wrote:FWIW...Rumor has it Java will be available on IOS RFSN.
That'll be interesting, but I don't really think so.

I have just downloaded the latest Java update...version 4, can't see any reference to iOS in that.

Good but old article here, but this is old hat. Cannot really seeing it myself, although can only hope after seeing latest performance reviews of iPad 2. :)
Yamaha GTS1000 v2 MicroSquirt, B&G 2.891
Yamaha GTS1000 v3 beta MicroSquirt, B&G3.760
Yamaha GTS1000 MSExtra 3.1, Dual VR Board
Yamaha YZF1000 MSExtra 3.1
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Bump, about to pull the trigger on an Archos7 v2 to integrate into my dash (putting the dock in the dash so I can pocket the "head unit" so to speak.

It's running Android 2.2 currently, but there is an optional developer firmware what appears to be a full linux distro (not Android, so Java is available)
7" nice bright screen, good quality.

Just wanted to see if Android port beta testing is imminent, being lazy.

<$150 1GB/ <$200 2GB, wifi only, but who needs 3G/phone service anyway for a dashboard.
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

piledriver wrote:Bump, about to pull the trigger on an Archos7 v2 to integrate into my dash (putting the dock in the dash so I can pocket the "head unit" so to speak.

It's running Android 2.2 currently, but there is an optional developer firmware what appears to be a full linux distro (not Android, so Java is available)

<$150 1GB/ <$200 2GB, wifi only, but who needs 3G/phone service anyway for a dashboard.
If you stick full linux on it you can run megatunix's dashboard on it as well. In my testing, I've found mtx's gauges smoother in rendering and using much less CPU usage that java in TS.
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

djandruczyk wrote:
piledriver wrote:Bump, about to pull the trigger on an Archos7 v2 to integrate into my dash (putting the dock in the dash so I can pocket the "head unit" so to speak.

If you stick full linux on it you can run megatunix's dashboard on it as well. In my testing, I've found mtx's gauges smoother in rendering and using much less CPU usage that java in TS.
I'll be trying everything, Megatunix works great as long as you aren't updating firmware constantly, and would likely be a bonus on a slow processor.

Interestingly cross compiling binaries for Android targets of C/C++ seems to work (for some definitions of "work") is a work in progress.
I doubt anything with a GUI would be remotely a straightforward "./configure && make && make_install"
I won't be happy without a full userland though.
MS2tester
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by MS2tester »

any of those readable in direkt sunlight
anybody else tried an andriod phone in direkt sunlight ?
was thinking of getting samsung galaxy S2
Kemp3
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Kemp3 »

I would like more info on this subject if anyone cares to share. I am on a G-Tablet that has quite the custom rom community . What would I need to do to use this for tuning my MS3 ?

Thank you

-Kemp
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

What would I need to do to use this for tuning my MS3 ?
You really can't "Yet"
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
Kemp3
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Kemp3 »

LT401Vette wrote:
What would I need to do to use this for tuning my MS3 ?
You really can't "Yet"
"Yet"

Then i will wait patiently 8)

-Kemp
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Kemp3 wrote:I would like more info on this subject if anyone cares to share. I am on a G-Tablet that has quite the custom rom community . What would I need to do to use this for tuning my MS3 ?

Thank you

-Kemp
If they have hacked it so you can install Ubuntu etc it will work, If it's still the Android flavor of Linux it can't run Java<>current form of TS.