DLP-TXRX usb serial adapter

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

Rhdhybrid
Helpful MS/Extra'er

DLP-TXRX usb serial adapter

Post by Rhdhybrid »

Hi Phil, I was wondering if you have done any testing with the DLP-TXRX usb/serial adapter from DIYautotune? Will it work?

Thanks Ken
93 Skyline GTR
2001 NUR Spec Powertrain Swap
Way to many upgrades to list.

2.0 CR/Vtec - Long Gone..... Great Learning Experience.
B20Z Block, B16a Head(Big Valves- Ported)
Supercharged
Megasquirt 2 V3.0 With 4 Bip 373s running Wasted Spark.
01 CBR 929RR Coil Sticks
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: DLP-TXRX usb serial adapter

Post by Matt Cramer »

They're functionally not very different from the USB-2920 adapter, just relocates things into the case and takes the RS-232 stage out of the picture. I don't think I have tested one with TunerStudio, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Note that older (actually, until fairly recent) MS2 daughter cards have had an issue with going into bootloader mode unless you make a couple of mods to the DLP-TXRX.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
stag15m4
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by stag15m4 »

Maybe a bit late, but... My DLP-TXRX works great on my MSII V3.0 board. I am using my MacBook and running TS .999 and am having no issues what-so-ever.

When installing the USB Conversion unit, there was 1 speedbump, but Matt Cramer got me over it very quickly and easily. All I had to do was solder a 1 amp PNP transistor onto the board and it was suddenly good to go. Other than that, there has been no problems with this setup at all.
Seth
1977 MGB 2.3 Turbo, MSII/EDIS 4
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,15139
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

:shock: BuuuUUUHH?!

Details, please! I'm fairly certain my MS2 card is older (it's blue, but it came with a 2.0 Stimulator kit...). What issues are there with the bootloader? Where does the PNP transistor go? Why isn't this info in the (otherwise rather detailed) DIYAutotune how-to page?

I plan on having this dingus completely internal, with a USB-B pigtail leading to the AMPSeal connector I'll be adding.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Here are the mods. There's no way of visually telling which bootloader your card has.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Fascinating... I have to ask - what on Earth does that have to do with the bootloader on the MS2 card?
TTR Ignition Systems
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

MS2 goes into bootloader mode if it doesn't get 5 volts on the serial input pin. At least it did with the old serial monitor - the new one fixed that.
dave
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by dave »

been using one on mine since day 1 with no probs.. other than setting up the driver in windows then guessing which port TS will work on. Every time I format it's different for some reason.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

@ Dave - I have the same problem with my WiFi dongle...

@ Matt - That's weird, but whatever works... I just looked again at the write-up on your website. Two suggestions; first - it may be easiest, where it says "(W)e are looking into a way to make the current version of the DLP-TXRX work with Megasquirt-II reliably and will have the details here when we come up with a robust solution," to simply link to this thread. Second, for new builds it may be quicker / safer / easier to solder the data leads to pin-holes for U6 11 & 12, instead of trying to solder to the MS chip pins.
TTR Ignition Systems
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

As you may have guessed, we tried pull up resistors first. But we couldn't find one resistor value that worked for all cases.
dave
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by dave »

speakign of USB adapters, check this out:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Evalua ... B9-USB.htm
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

FTDI is what's on the MS3.. If I don't click "work offline" in TS before going to sleep, it doesn't work when I wake the laptop.. Didn't have that problem with the PL2303 in Win7..
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
mkehler
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mkehler »

Just ordered a usb from DIYAutotune... just to be clear, on a pcb3, its simply removing U6, and then wiring up (the 4) connections? It gives a few options..I'm just not sure why anyone would want to cut the traces or remove pins from the eeprom when you can simply remove U6?

Matt I ordered my ms2 daughterboard last summer. If I hook up the USB and turns out it needs the PNP transister, I assume it (usb connection) simply won't work? Is there any harm in using the PNP transister if it doesn't need it?

Hopefully the parts will be here this weekend, and I'll be doing it at my shop that does not have proper internet access, so I want to be sure I'm prepared :)

Matt

Post by dontz125 »

That was part of the issue - if U6 is difficult to remove, you can cut the traces.

For the PNP, I gather that if you need it the MS2 will be stuck in bootloader mode. If the ECU starts normally, you don't need the transistor.
TTR Ignition Systems
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

I'm still unfortunately stuck at the planning stage of my project (health & $$), but a concern that had been fluttering at the back of my head for a while finally congealed - when assembling a fresh build using this adaptor (ie NOT using the stock serial interface), how do you test it? I'm referring to step 26 of the standard MS Assembly Guide. What (if anything) can be done?
TTR Ignition Systems
mkehler
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mkehler »

What are you guys doing to 'fix' the dlp to the board or what have you so it doesn move aroind or push in when you plug a usb cable into it?

Post by 510rob »

What would be required to update the bootloader in an older (but still blue) MS2 module so that internal USB modules could be used? I presume a BDM pod as a minimum, but is that all? Stick the cable into the BDM port then flash the bootloader, or ???